AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Barco 808s and am temporarily projecting onto a white sheet.

Question: Right now the whites are very bright...(like a light shining right into my face) and I would like to control this without sacrificing picture brightness. Is this a screen thing, or a location thing (PJ is floor mounted right now) or a setup thing?

I have the brightness set quite low and contrast less than 1/2.

Thanks in advance.

Scott:confused:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If you are new to CRT projectors, it is best to get used to what the projector can reliably produce for an image, as opposed to your expectations. If the unit is floor mounted, and you are getting a very bright image when the unit is projecting on a low gain sheet, well..

I might question the setting of the image levels. Most CRT projectors of that vintage can produce a qiute bright image (all depending on your screen size) but it is better to be cautious with brightness and contrast contols untill you get a handle on where tube burn begins to occurr? How's your level of familiarity with CRT projectors?

The fun part about learning what contrast and brightness levels to fun a CRT projector at, is that it all depends on what the internal settings of the PJ are at.. and this varies from set-up to set-up, on each given PJ, even within a given model line. There is Zero guarantee that a given PJ is set up to where it is supposed to be.. if you bought this as an ex-rental piece. What the rental places USUALLY do, is set up a PJ so it is nearly impossible to burn the tubes, as one never knows what a renter will do to a PJ. Out of all the places out there to get a PJ from, their setups can suprisingly!, be the most conservative, due to this situation. IF they had intelligent set-up techs at that particular company.

I know this is not the original direction of your line of questioning, it is just that it is a concern, according to what you have said about the image. i worry that you might be running the PJ a bit too hard and prematurely burn your tubes in that PJ.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post exact settings after tonights viewing...its in a non-light controlled location right now.

The internal brightness setting is set to economy, thus I figure I will be on the dim side...

What other settings except this and brightness and contrast will I find if I dig deep?

ps: yes it was a rental with 1200 hours on it.

tubes seem to be in great shape.

Scott

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Scott,

Since you mention that you have the brightness set low, I will point out that on most crt projectors the "brightness" control adjusts the black level (which is going to change the contrast) and the "contrast" control adjusts the white level (which is going to change the brightness). Apologies if you already knew this, but I wanted to be sure you were adjusting the Contrast control to lower your white level.

William

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I switched the 75 ohm switch on the back, and now its like a new machine...

thanks for the info though.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.