AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't want this to be a thread about which is better. What I really want to do is fill you guys in on my current setup, so you can help me decide which receiver is right for me. Much of the features and specs go right over my head, so I'm looking for some help.

With that being said, I currently have a Onkyo 603, a Panasonic DMP-BD30k, an X box 360, and I'm looking to add a PS3 (and possibly get rid of the X-box in the process). I also have Comcast cable if that helps.

What I like about the 805 is the 130 watts, THX certification, and the fact that I can get it for about half of it's original MSRP. Though, I am concerned about issues with audio being out of synch and overheating.

What I like about the 605 is the extra HDMI input (which will come in handy if I decide to keep the 360).

·
Registered
262 Posts
me personally i would get the 805. the only cool thing i like about the 606 is that it upconverts up to 1080i. the 805 upconverts to 720p. and the 606 has 4 hdmi, while the 805 has 3. but the 805 has a better and beefy amp section than the 606. and know that the 805 and can get hot, i will but one of those component coolers i saw at frys that are $120. that what i am going to do for the receiver i am going to get.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I run nearly the same set up but running the 805, absolutely love it. The 805 has plenty of power, does run hot but has never caused any issues for me. What speakers are you using?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Couldn't agree more with ttskyline2001.The 805 was amazing value for money even at the original price and with the reduced price,it is a deal to kill for!!While the 605, which preceded the 606,also won many awards,the 805's amp section is in an entirely different league and a lot of people are speculating that onkyo may not use the same top-quality parts in the upcoming 806 and the 805's amazing value could be a one-off.Imagine getting ultra2 processing at such a low price! sure,it needs a cooling fan when inside a cabinet but it really is nothing big to worry about because they are designed to run hot.

If you need full 1080p video upscaling from the receiver,only then do you need to look at anything else imho.Just grab them before they disappear because the 806 could be on its way pretty soon.make sure that the unit has the latest firmware if you are not very computer savvy.Otherwise,you need not worry because there are two dedicated firmware threads on avs to take care of all your concerns on that front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts