AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my Shuttle SK41G, and the SPDIF optical out doesn't appear to work. I have connected it to my home receiver, but no sound. One question, I have not connected a cable from the DVD drive to the CDIN on the motherboard. Is this the issue? Since it is an analog connection, I suspect not, but is there a trick to get the SPDIF working on the SK41G?

·
Registered
311 Posts
is spdif enabled in windows volume settings?

you're right you don't need to connect your dvd player for dvd playback.

all throug the motherboard.

audio is Realtek ALC650, so you need to download the latest driver at realtek for this chipset and then it should work.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nikkieneuken
is spdif enabled in windows volume settings?

you're right you don't need to connect your dvd player for dvd playback.

all throug the motherboard.

audio is Realtek ALC650, so you need to download the latest driver at realtek for this chipset and then it should work.
I have the SPDIF enabled after opening the "speaker" icon in the Task Tray. In the screen where I can see volume levels, I went under Properties, and selected the SPDIF. I can't adjust the volume, but it is just slightly past the middle setting. Is this what you meant by enabling it?

When I hook up the optical SPDIF cable, I see the red light, so it is outputting something, I think. Maybe the issue is all on the receiver end, but the Kenwood VR-309 plays DTS and DD 5.1 just fine going through Coax. I do have the Coax connected, along with the Optical for digital input. I may have to see if this is an exclusive situation where they both don't work at the same time. Funny thing is the coax is not sending any signal because the stand alone DVD is not on. Any thoughts?

I will check to see if there is a driver update tonight for the audio, but I just bought this system, and the CD would hopefully have the latest drivers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have this receiver. You need to make sure that the input is set for digital. There's a button on the front of the receiver that says input mode. Click on it until it goes to digital autosound. This should do it.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, when you load the Realteak drivers, there's a Realtek Windows utility for verifying the sound setup configuration including speaker tests. You may want to poke around in there for more info.

Otherwise, post your question over here and someone should be able to answer it for you.

Adam

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tbdombrosky
I have this receiver. You need to make sure that the input is set for digital. There's a button on the front of the receiver that says input mode. Click on it until it goes to digital autosound. This should do it.

Tom
Thanks for the tip, I should have mentioned I found that in my receiver's manual when I did the initial setup, but it still didn't work. Since you have the VR-309, do you have an Optical cable and coax supplying digital signals connected at the same time? I not suggesting both cables would be active with data at the same time, just a concurrent physical connection.

Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah, I have them both connected at the same time. The dvd with an optical connection, and cd and VCR2 with the coaxial.

Tom

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tbdombrosky
Yeah, I have them both connected at the same time. The dvd with an optical connection, and cd and VCR2 with the coaxial.

Tom
Thanks! I will do more trouble shooting on the HTPC side then tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.