AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 20 GB PS3 this morning along with the BD remote and Kingdom of Heaven. I have been a huge supporter of HD DVD (I have an XA1 and a A1) since their launch, and just now finally cracked. I must say that Kingdom of Heaven had incredible PQ and the sound was very impressive; I cannot wait for the new Denon receivers to fully experience DTS-MA. I was one of the biggest PS3 "haters" out there, but I must say that the PS3 with the remote is not too bad of a Blu-Ray player. I am now able to finally watch my copy of the Terminator; that $12 Amazon pre-order was too sweet to pass up. Now I just need my 5 x 1 Monoprice HDMI switcher to come in, so I can hook my Oppo 971 back up. It's a good felling to know that I can just enjoy the movie now, instead of wondering which format it's on.

·
Registered
874 Posts
congratulations and welcome!!

some other movies to use to break in that new PS3:

Black Hawk Down

Ice Age 2

Tears of the Sun

Underworld Evolution

The Wild

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Crank

Those are just scratching the surface. Check out the stickied threads above.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Being able to buy any movie released in high definition is great. With PS3 you do have some benefits over the stand-alones in that you can download trailers also, even if you are not into gaming at all.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg131 /forum/post/0

I picked up a 20 GB PS3 this morning along with the BD remote and Kingdom of Heaven. I have been a huge supporter of HD DVD (I have an XA1 and a A1) since their launch, and just now finally cracked. I must say that Kingdom of Heaven had incredible PQ and the sound was very impressive; I cannot wait for the new Denon receivers to fully experience DTS-MA. I was one of the biggest PS3 "haters" out there, but I must say that the PS3 with the remote is not too bad of a Blu-Ray player.

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it immensely.

It seems that 99.9% of the anti-PS/3 people are those who haven't tried it. Why were you previously a PS/3 hater?

Gary

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do game, but I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Although, it is going to be nice playing NCAA Football and Winning Eleven in glorious 1080i with the best controller layout. Thanks for the recommendations krinkle. Too bad none of those movies are my cup of tea. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors, but I have never been able to get into BHD.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf /forum/post/0

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it immensely.

Why were you previously a PS/3 hater?

Gary

I believed that a video game system as a main player was weak. The PS2 was a terrible DVD player and I expected the same from the PS3. The $500 price tag along with HDMI 1.3 (future proof) really sold me; all the praise it received definitely influenced the decision. My PS3 hatred also stemed from my Nintendo loyalty. I've been Zelda fiend for years now.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Congrats on your new piece...now that you have both formats...you will be in HD heaven.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a gamer, and a movie fiend, I must admit that i have been using my ps3 90% of the time to play movies, not games. I have even been using it to watch my standard DVD's and find it to be a great player, I just wish it upconverted standard DVD's ;(

congrats on your purchase! Crank is a great show-off movie for the player, super high detail and action.

Still waiting for gladiator and pixar movies to get release dates

·
Registered
818 Posts
I was an HD DVD-only supporter, but I got a PS3 this past Saturday for the sole purpose of playing BD movies. CES 2007 changed my mind and made me format neutral. So far I have 6 BD movies and 51 HD DVD movies. I bought X-Men: The Last Stand and Kingdom of Heaven because I really wanted these movies. I also got Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Underworld: Evolution, Black Hawk Down, and Monster house, thanks to the BB buy 1 get 1 free deal going on right now. I might get Kung Fu Hustle and Click tomorrow because of the deal.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I picked up a PS3 at my local Best Buy last weekend so I could get my feet wet with HD. I figure that when the second or third generation players come to market, I'll have an easier time selling the PS3 on eBay than a Samsung.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase of the PS3. I think the ironic thing about that machine is that it might actually succeed as a Blu ray console where it fails as a game player, but that is neither here nor there. Currently, format neutrality is the only way to enjoy all films at their maximum quality: where Superman Returns on Blu ray lacks lossless audio, HD DVD lacks Xmen 3.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Quote:

I do game, but I'm a Nintendo fanboy.

I'm with you on that, nothing beats Nintendo when it comes to game design. I was really annoyed that I had to buy a PS3 to get a decent BD player that was affordable. But I won't be buying any games (famous last words)

One thing I would say though is threads like these are preaching to the converted, why not tell your fellow/former HD DVD buddies that the PS3 and Blu-ray aren't that bad after all? Maybe they'll believe it if someone who has no agenda tells them

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmon91 /forum/post/0

Its great that you can pick up a movie not caring which format its on, but wait until you have a movie on both discs and you have to pick. Then it starts sucking.

If it's a Warner or Paramount release, it has to be HD DVD. HD DVD gets DD+ or True HD, while the Blu-Ray version is stuck with DD or DTS. I am looking forward to the upcoming releases such as From Hell, Spider-Man 1 and 2, and the first two X-Men movies. Plus even Rambo is just around the corner; I was sold on the Studio Canal HD DVD versions until I heard about the speed up sound.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:

If it's a Warner or Paramount release, it has to be HD DVD. HD DVD gets DD+ or True HD, while the Blu-Ray version is stuck with DD or DTS.

If the DD+ track is encoded at 640kbps on HD DVD then the DD track on BD should have the same quality. But yeah, BD is SoL with TrueHD so far.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I was in BB tonight (the one at Owensmouth &Victory) 5Th Element was playing. --On a Samsong plasma---Sony player---The BEST picture quality I've ever seen. To bad the movie isn't in HD-;or didn't see it offered at netflix

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.