AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe Im a complete moron but I still dont see the benefit of paying more for a tv that comes with the built in cable tuner/cards??? Do these cards allow you to view all the premium channels??

I have the gold package from Cablevision and I think I STILL need a Cable box hooked up to my TV to view premium channels...so why would someone waste the xtra money for a HD TV with a built in cable card.......am I missing something very important here???

Maybe Im a total idiot....please help me see the light!

Im in NJ

·
Registered
784 Posts
TVs with built-in cable tuners are to tune unscrambled, in-the-clear cable - both analog or HD (if provided by the cable company).

TVs that can support cable cards allow you to get a cable card from your cable provider and no longer require a set top box to watch the scrambled content (e.g. HBO).

That's the main advantage - no need for a set top box.

Also, cable card "rental" from your cable company is generally less than a STB (generally cable cards are about $2 a month).

However, cable cards do not support on-demand services.

Mitch

·
Registered
564 Posts
It gives you everything you pay for with cable without a box..SIMPLE

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrulze
It gives you everything you pay for with cable without a box..SIMPLE
That's true with the exception of the interactive program guide and the On-Demand/PPV/sports packages. Many manufacturers use TVGOS from Gemstar so the guide might not be an issue. Some providers can still give you the packages but you have to call them to make sure. The other benefit is sending native resolution through to the TV allowing it to scale the signal if necessary. There are some STB's that have that feature but Motorola does not so you have to choose either 720p or 1080i. Lastly, it may be cheaper to use a cable card as opposed to the STB. Comcast, in my area, does not charge a monthly rental for the cable card and I just had to pay for the installation.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
1. You would NOT still need a cable box unless you want On Demand or TV Guide capability. Your cable company can program it so that you can get your gold package through the CableCard.

2. Many have posted that PQ is better with CableCard than the box (the tuners in the box are pretty mediocre).

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Other advantage of the cable box route, e.g., with Comcast, is that one can get a stb that also includes a dvr (the Motorola 6412).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Let's see, in my situation the cable box has the Hi Def with PVR and the On Demand services. The cable card gives me the ability to watch another show if I'm taping 2 shows at the same time. It also means I'll have to change functions on the remote.

What it will buy you, if the above services are worthless to you: getting rid of the cable box and the integration of the box to the TV; easier troubleshooting (ie. just one cable coming into the TV); and easier remote control integration. All of which make wives very, very happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have both a cablecard and HD stb. I mainly use the cable card when I get annoyed by the stb analog channel quality. For digital and HD the cablecard only gives a slight improvement.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschner
I have both a cablecard and HD stb. I mainly use the cable card when I get annoyed by the stb analog channel quality. For digital and HD the cablecard only gives a slight improvement.
Jim, I also have both the DVR and the cable card. It comes in handy for not only watching SD broadcasts but also when I am recording two shows and want to watch a third one. I only had to pay for around a $25 installation and the card was free so it was a no brainer for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.