AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading for the last couple of months, but I still can't figure out the answer to this question:

Why do people recommend the Radeon 7500 even though it isn't Dscalar compatible? Does it even need to be?? I want to get one now that the price has dropped, but I want to use dscalar and powerstrip to output to my Toshiba HDTV. Someone please help me? I am also looking at either a Geforce3 Ti200 or a Geforce4 MX440.

While I may still have your attention, I am also needing a tuner/pvr card. I only have a Celeron 1ghz w/ 256 ddr. Do I need something that has hardware mpeg decoding (wintv-pvr350), or can I get away with software decoding (wintv-250 or ??) Once again, I want dscalar and pstrip capability. I know this question gets asked a lot, but I can't get an answer for dummies in my searches. Please throw me a bone!!

THANKS!!!

-Ian

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
You need a good graphics card - a Radeon - to output to your display device, and you need a conextact BT8x8 compatable capture card (Wintv, pctv rave) for DScaler to work with.

Dscaler will 'do it's thing' with the image you put into the capture card, and send it out to your display device via the Radeon.

HTH

Gary.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
'Not sure where you saw your info, but I'm using a Radeon 7500 just fine with dScaler, as is most people here. :D

Robert

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it may have been the AIW's confusin' me. They are not compatible, are they? Maybe that was it?

So do you all think my celeron 1ghz & 256mg of ddr will be able to handle mpeg2 sofware decoding (wintv-go), or do I need to invest in the hardware decoding (wintv-pvr 350)? I obviously don't want to spend the extra $150 if I don't have to. Thanks again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Perhaps it's just that it's 90 degrees here, or perhaps it's just that I'm tired of reading these posts. Some clarifications:

There is a difference between RADEON and AIW RADEON in that the latter has an input section (tv tuner and composite/S-video IN/OUTS) The former does NOT.

Dscaler needs a BT8x8 chipset for the INPUT source AIW's DO NOT HAVE THIS. All the output needs is an AGP (or some claim PCI with low res and limited success) graphics card of almost ANY SORT. Including RADEONS both AIW and non.

What you can do: Display dscaler OUTPUT on virtually ANY RADEON card, AIW included.

What you can't do: Use an AIW's input section to feed dscaler. WONT WORK

What you can do: Use a BT8x8 input card with an AIW as an output card. I've got this EXACT config in my living room right now. Works fine.

Hope this puts an end to this thread.

-rick (desperately in need of A/C)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Voop. I think...

So anyway, How about my next stupid question:

Quote:
Originally posted by ianeicher
So do you all think my celeron 1ghz & 256mg of ddr will be able to handle mpeg2 sofware decoding (wintv-go), or do I need to invest in the hardware decoding (wintv-pvr 350)? I obviously don't want to spend the extra $150 if I don't have to. Thanks again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Your celery er celeron should have plenty of oomph for decoding MPEG-2. I take it you want to watch DVD's via a software player only? That should be no problem. MPEG-2 ENCODING on the other hand would put a serious dent in that processor... it would likely not be able to handle it.

We like software DVD decoding because we can tweak custom timings and resolutions out of our machines and drive our projectors at their native resolutions. Using a hardware decoder often times removes that flexibility.

-rick

and you're welcome.

·
Registered
144 Posts
hmm just read closer... you want to record to hard disk using your wintv pvr card? That would be considered software ENCODING (as you're sampling the incoming analog stream and digitizing it to disk) and your system would probably have a hard time doing it at full resolution/framerate. You MIGHT be able to get away with a smaller resolution, but your best bet would be to up the processor or get a hardware based solution. Sorry for the confusion in the earlier post.

-rick

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Voop
Perhaps it's just that it's 90 degrees here, or perhaps it's just that I'm tired of reading these posts . . .
You know, I just can't get that worked up over your problem. Of course, perhaps its because its 104 degrees here in Sacramento . . . :D :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kcl

Of course, perhaps its because its 104 degrees here in Sacramento . . . :D :D
Ahhh... another Davisite suffering in the heat! My AC has been flaking out on me too. Just got it patched up today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.