AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been trolling and reading reviews obsessively in my search for a home theater receiver (no, seriously). My needs are not great, but I do want the best possible sound within my price range. I just purchased an Epson 8500UB projector and have Orbaudio speakers in 5.1 with the .1 being a HSU VTF-3 sub.


What do I do from here? I'm coming down from separates... the Onkyo PR886 and a 7-channel Sherbourn 200w/ channel amp. I'd like 110-150w/ channel, could give or take wireless networking--but it'd be nice, am curious about the class D amp in the Pioneer and how that might work with my Orbs, which are Mod2's (i.e. two separate speakers in one), and could care less about 3D ability...


Currently on my radar are the following, in no particular order:
  • Pioneer Elite Sc-25
  • Marantz AV7005
  • Yamaha RX-A2000
  • Denon 4310Ci


Thoughts? Am I over-shooting it here? It seems like these are popular contenders and can be had in or around the same price range. I don't normally struggle so hard to choose... but the reviews seem fairly equitable between the four and there are too many "fan boys" of each for me to parse out the unbiased from the obsessed. Any help for me here?


Regards--

TDA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides /forum/post/19532039


So I have been trolling and reading reviews obsessively in my search for a home theater receiver (no, seriously). My needs are not great, but I do want the best possible sound within my price range. I just purchased an Epson 8500UB projector and have Orbaudio speakers in 5.1 with the .1 being a HSU VTF-3 sub.


What do I do from here? I'm coming down from separates... the Onkyo PR886 and a 7-channel Sherbourn 200w/ channel amp. I'd like 110-150w/ channel, could give or take wireless networking--but it'd be nice, am curious about the class D amp in the Pioneer and how that might work with my Orbs, which are Mod2's (i.e. two separate speakers in one), and could care less about 3D ability...


Currently on my radar are the following, in no particular order:
  • Pioneer Elite Sc-25
  • Marantz AV7005
  • Yamaha RX-A2000
  • Denon 4310Ci


Thoughts? Am I over-shooting it here? It seems like these are popular contenders and can be had in or around the same price range. I don't normally struggle so hard to choose... but the reviews seem fairly equitable between the four and there are too many "fan boys" of each for me to parse out the unbiased from the obsessed. Any help for me here?


Regards--

TDA

with clearance prices, i would vote for the denon or pioneer. denon has a slick osd, pioneer has efficient power through ice amps. either way is a great call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Did you sell the amp? Because if not, you could pick up a receiver with pre outs, and still use the amp (if it works.)


Otherwise, I suspect all your choices are good. I can only vouch for Yamaha on the basis of having owned quite a few, and them having been reliable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did in fact sell the amplifier; it was 115 pounds and I was growing tired (literally and figuratively) of hefting it around... nice sound though! Was less impressed by the Onkyo and will be unlikely to purchase through them again... had an outlaw 990 and loved it dearly



Anyhow... did I miss anything obvious? I had considered the emotiva separates, but wasn't sure how the UMC-1 ended up reliability-wise.


Thanks much!

TDA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
you might consider you are "over-buying" on your a/v receiver for the Orb speaker set you mentioned ????? The 1/3rd electronics, 2/3rds speakers rule for HT budgets makes sense here in your planning. Just a thought
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/0


you might consider you are "over-buying" on your a/v receiver for the orb speaker set you mentioned ????? The 1/3rd electronics, 2/3rds speakers rule for ht budgets makes sense here in your planning. Just a thought

+1 !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I might be over-buying on the AV; the Orbs with the HSU were only about $1400... any recommendations in the lower price range? I'm mostly concerned about sound quality... the Orbs produce nice clear sound, but I don't want to overkill. I had the separates with Quad 22L2, 12L2, L2 Centre, so at least by MSRP I was somewhat close



Cheers--


TDA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides /forum/post/19533170


I thought I might be over-buying on the AV; the Orbs with the HSU were only about $1400... any recommendations in the lower price range? I'm mostly concerned about sound quality... the Orbs produce nice clear sound, but I don't want to overkill. I had the separates with Quad 22L2, 12L2, L2 Centre, so at least by MSRP I was somewhat close



Cheers--


TDA

I checked out ORB audio's website and it appears that your speakers feature " a nominal impedance of over 4 ohms. " according to their site. Not exactly sure what that means. Is the nominal impedance 4.2ohms or 8 ohms as both are over 4 ohms. I hate when companies pull this crap. Based on the likley low nominal impedance you may want to stick with one of the models you first mentioned instead of a mid level receiver depending on the SPL's you want to achieve.


Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for looking into the speakers... I was at a bit of a loss myself as to how much power they may require for optimal use and figured I'd just play it safe with too much. While their description is rather vague, the quality is not--they equal and in some cases better the Quads for home theater (nothing close for music, but that's not their intended purpose).


I put myself in a bit of a no-man's land with regard to the speaker choice... I nearly went with Ascend Sieras (loved the CBM/ 340's), but wanted something smaller for my lovely bride



--TDA
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top