AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was definitely not what I expected from all the previews. I thought it was just going to be an actual game show where Americans tried to win on a Japanese show. I didn't know this was basically a reality show where people got eliminated one by one.

Overall it was okay. Not stellar programming by any means, but with nothing else on in the summer it's an okay time waster.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The show couldn't keep my interest.

Also, I felt as if the show is making fun of the Japanese in some way - sort of disrespectful.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
The promos for this show were misleading to say the least. It was completely contrived at a film studio, not even a TV stage. The only redeeming factor was that such a cheaply produced show is in HD. It should be a one and done.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I too was expecting something different, like a full hour of Americans competing on a Japanese game show but I still liked it. ABC has me on Tuesday nights this summer with this and Wipeout...not like there's much else on anyways

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I thought the game show part was interesting. The games they're playing are typical of the game shows of Japan. It's not as difficult as say "Ninja Warrior", but it has its moments. Also interesting how they switched from film to video mode when actually doing the game itself. Gods, HDTV technology over there must be impressive!

You knew it had to be a reality competition when they announced the winner will get 250 grand. You'd put yourself thru a lot to get that kind of money. It's not as disgusting as what one has to do on Survivor, and, if the players keep an open mind, will be enjoyable. I admit it's something that, if I were younger and more able, I would have liked to participate in.

Have to admit that Wipeout was a hell of a lot funnier (looks like a spinoff of MXC they show on Spike TV). Nice to see John Henson again, his lines are terrifically funny (Talk Soup on E! was never as fun once he left).

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg /forum/post/14154928

They did this in HD??? What a waste of effort and money for a piece of $#!&.

The HD gods are angry

It is designed to test the commitment of those people who say, "I'll watch ANYTHING as long as it is in HD."

·
Registered
23,806 Posts
I have to watch. Bilenda Madison was our veterinarian, and my daughter's boss up until a couple of years ago.

I enjoyed it, but I not only had a rooting interest, I also typically enjoy the low-budget, warped Japanese game shows I've seen in the past.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
I thought Wipeout was the better show of the two....would've preferred it be hi-def instead. I was a bit surprised ISAJGS was in HD at all.

·
Registered
23,806 Posts
Haven't seen Wipeout yet, but I really enjoy MXC so I expect I will. Although, the dubbed in comments are a significant part of the appeal of MXC so I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wipeout is, more or less, MXC with substantially less funny narration. It wasn't too bad; the commentator made me chuckle a time or two; but, it's nowhere near the quality of MXC. It would've been much, much better to put this in HD.

As for I Survived a Japanese Game Show, I was also shocked and dismayed to find out it was a reality show. Fortunately, I TiVo'd it and just fastforwarded through everything except the gameshow parts. Incidentally, is the host of the gameshow the same guy as the Captain on MXC?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 /forum/post/14154964

I thought the game show part was interesting. The games they're playing are typical of the game shows of Japan. It's not as difficult as say "Ninja Warrior", but it has its moments. Also interesting how they switched from film to video mode when actually doing the game itself. Gods, HDTV technology over there must be impressive!

You knew it had to be a reality competition when they announced the winner will get 250 grand. You'd put yourself thru a lot to get that kind of money. It's not as disgusting as what one has to do on Survivor, and, if the players keep an open mind, will be enjoyable. I admit it's something that, if I were younger and more able, I would have liked to participate in.

Have to admit that Wipeout was a hell of a lot funnier (looks like a spinoff of MXC they show on Spike TV). Nice to see John Henson again, his lines are terrifically funny (Talk Soup on E! was never as fun once he left).

The whole show is shot on video. Where did you get the idea that they use film. There is nothing impressive about HDTV over there that you do not have here. Show parts from game show were from Japanese TV. They have this certain bright look. Personally I do not like it as to me the picture is too bright. I hate to see it whenever I am there.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I got one word for this show: Lame

Not watching it again, heck I changed the channel permanently after 5 mins..

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Caught some of this last night, the actual games were good for a chuckle, but as someone mentioned it's still a reality show where someone goes home. Just a reality show where the challenges take place on a real japanese game show.

Any Simpsons fan knows the episode when they go to Japan and appear on the gameshow, great episode.

Wipeout is so cheap to make, even more so with no HD. Just get a bunch of props/cushions, etc and place them all over some pits of water and mud outside. The events, commentators and everything were very much like MXC, but less funny. The commentators make the same kinds of comments and insults as MXC, it is so obvious that it is a carbon copy of the show.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/14155604

I have to watch. Bilenda Madison was our veterinarian, and my daughter's boss up until a couple of years ago.

I enjoyed it, but I not only had a rooting interest, I also typically enjoy the low-budget, warped Japanese game shows I've seen in the past.

That's pretty cool.

I thought it was interesting that we have someone from Charlotte, AND someone from Matthews on the show. The two contestants could technically live a mile from each other.

Where is her Vet Clinic located?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts