AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you buy a Sony G70/G90 projector? Heck, or any CRT projector?! I've read a little and want to find out the price of them, but google and any of the AVS Forum Sponsors don't seem to have any mention of them. Or, where do I find something similar/better than them? I'm looking for a $5k total budget for surround sound speaker setup, projector, screen, etc. (not including racks, furniture, or anything else). I'm open to any and all suggestions for them, although I remember several months ago on speakers I thought that I had read a lot about the Swan Diva line of speakers being great for their price (about $1.2k). Please help! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
eBay

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
First let me say that with near absolutely certanty you will not find a G90 in any condition that will fit your budget.

And a G70....well if you want one that has perfect tubes be prepared to spend you $5K budget on it.

You may want to look at a Barco 808 or something like that to fit your budget.

Terry

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
You can get decent NEC XG projectors for that price. I have seen some low hours liquid coupled units for around $3000. Your best bet is to check with Curt Palme. He posts quite often and he sells used projectors. I see tho that you are in Connecticutt and he is from Vancouver B.C.. Shipping maybe a tad expensive.

You could find some deals on E-bay but you really don't know what you're getting. I went the e-bay route and found a 50 hour XG852. Only thing was that by the time it got here, it was not working (My unit was trucked then shipped from Baltimore to Hawaii). I even had to fly Doug Baisey (NEC Guru) from LAX to Hawaii at my expense to configure it.

You realize of course CRTs have issues. They are a pain to converge, align, setup and are noisy heavy beasts. Still, being a DLP convert to CRT, I still feel the end results was worth it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
First let me say that with near absolutely certanty you will not find a G90 in any condition that will fit your budget.

And a G70....well if you want one that has perfect tubes be prepared to spend you $5K budget on it.

You may want to look at a Barco 808 or something like that to fit your budget.

Terry
I'm willing to spend more (maybe even double my initial guesstimate budget) if it means quality, I just need some pointers :). What are the differences between a G70/G90? Where do I get a brand new G70 (or are they discontinued and only sold in various used conditions now?) or Barco 808? I'm just very confused about where to begin for a home theatre. Finally, how do I learn about screens and the various aspects of a home theatre? Thanks a lot for your reply!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The G90 is one of THE refence 9" projectors out there and considered by some to be the best in class. B Stock runs in the $25 - $30K. used $12-$15K or so. The G90 was manufactured until last year.

The Sony G70 is the 8" LC version that was built by Sony. They stopped building it in 1998. It is also one of the top 3 8" PJ out there and in some cases maybe the best 8" projector built when you consider servicability, reliability, picture peformance, etc. New, kind of hard to find, B Stock maybe but more expensive.

Go to the Screen forum here if you want to get an education on them. For CRT use 1.3 gain is about what you want to be at for the best picture quality. There are some curved screens like the Torus and the Vutec corved screen they sell that will give you more contrast than a flat screen. I thinkI can safely say that most folks here use 16:9 screens.

You will also need to understand about scaling the DVD signal. There are two basic shoices here. A Scaler like the Lumagen or Focus products or the HTPC route. Once again there are forums here that will explain a lot of that to you. For the 8" projectors 720P is a good resolution to run.

Last but not least is that you want to consider HD. Again a forum here to tell you what your chaoices are for thet (OTA, DTV, DISH, Concast, etc). The CRT's really look fantastic with HD material if it is well done.

Terry

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Keep coming here and reading the forum, use the SEARCH button ALOT and you'll find tons of info. Look in the "Marketplace" for crt's for sale, or post looking to buy from one of the many professional and hobby resellers here.

Most of us here are hobbyists who do(or try to do) everything ourselves. Learning the ins and outs of crt home theater is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the whole endeavor. Putting your location in your profile was a good first step, follow that up by seeing what members that are close would be willing to allow you to visit and see a crt theater in action. From this you will undoubtedly get a better idea where to start your looking and what you want to zero in on in terms of products.

I would caution you against ruling out any brand based solely on name recognition though, until you are more familiar. Sony projectors are a great choice, but maybe a broader base of contenders would open your budget up to more options. There are very fine projectors made by Electrohome(now VDC), Barco, NEC and Ampro, don't count them out.

Also, source is virtually as important as projector, you'll need a good scaler/doubler/HTPC and a source for HD if you want the best signals to feed your projector.

I hope this has helped you, I've got a tendency to go off on tangents.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenTiger
I'm willing to spend more (maybe even double my initial guesstimate budget) if it means quality, I just need some pointers :). What are the differences between a G70/G90? Where do I get a brand new G70 (or are they discontinued and only sold in various used conditions now?) or Barco 808? I'm just very confused about where to begin for a home theatre. Finally, how do I learn about screens and the various aspects of a home theatre? Thanks a lot for your reply!
First things first: Rome wasn't built in a day! Slow down and take your time...

As Paul said, your best bet for learning on setting up a home theater yourself is to spend an hour or two a day reading on this forum for the next few months. There's a lot of information to swallow here so go slowly. Things will become clearer over time. Don't rush.

If you're not willing to do that, then the do-it-yourself route is probably not for you so your best bet is to contact local high-end AV/HT stores and have them put together a system for you. It'll be considerably more expensive however then doing it all yourself.

Kal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.