AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished connecting all my audio stuff for the first time in my new house... I am running a Klipsch RC-25 front, Klipsch RSX-5 satellite surrounds and an Infinity 1200s sub through a Denon 1604 reciever.

I set everything up and put in my Lord of the Rings DVD to see what everything would sound like; everything was sweet! I could go as loud as I liked and there was no noticeable distortion, even with the volume way up there. I had the volume up fairly high (but not blaringly loud); and about two hours into the movie there was a loud POP! and then silence. I couldn't tell where the pop came from, so I shut everything down to cool, assuming that I blew a fuze or tripped some overload circuit or something. The unit was barely warm when I checked everything out. There was no smell of burnt electronics. When I turned it back on later everything seemed to work, however the volume will only go up to 13 now, which is so low that you have to strain to hear what is going on.

I've tried everything to get more volume, but no dice. Once, I ran test tones and my fronts didn't work, but all the other speakers did. Then 10 minutes later the fronts were back, even on the test tones. I don't think it's a speaker problem since the test tones had plenty of volume. Even the sub seems lower than it should be, and the only speaker working at anything more than a whisper is my front center.

Anyone know what the heck happened? I really don't think that I was running her too hard. I hope this is something I can fix as the unit is brand new and this was literally the first time I'd put any sound through it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It may be damaged.

But just to rule anything out disconnect all speakers from the rear of the receiver and then add them one by one starting with the center, then R, L, surrounds, sub, etc.

Make absolutely sure all your speaker wire connections are secure and there are no shorts. Many time folks have a stray strand of wire that may be touching other wires or even worse...the receiver chassis. This leads to a damaged receiver or setting off the protection.

good luck and let us know what happened!

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Well, as long as it's not in peices embedded in your walls, it's not technically "blown up" but it does sound broken beyond just protect mode. I would take it back to your dealer and see what's up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ryan>

I used to have an 1803 and once it did exactly what you are describing. In my case, I had my DVD player set to 192 khz for audio and had to downgrade the signal to 44khz. The Denon was just not able to interpret the 192khz signal so this had to be done. You may want to look into this.

Also, I don't think the instructions to reset to receiver are in your manual. But you can call Denon and they'll give you the sequence you need to follow to "reboot" your receiver. That may solve the problem too.

Good luck!

Jorge

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisWiggles
Well, as long as it's not in peices embedded in your walls, it's not technically "blown up" but it does sound broken beyond just protect mode. I would take it back to your dealer and see what's up.

You know what I meant... ;) And I wanted to try fixing it before sending it back because I bought it from an etailer and I don't want to have to eat the shipping charges.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by jcamber
Ryan>

I used to have an 1803 and once it did exactly what you are describing. In my case, I had my DVD player set to 192 khz for audio and had to downgrade the signal to 44khz. The Denon was just not able to interpret the 192khz signal so this had to be done. You may want to look into this.

Also, I don't think the instructions to reset to receiver are in your manual. But you can call Denon and they'll give you the sequence you need to follow to "reboot" your receiver. That may solve the problem too.

Good luck!

Jorge

Great advice! I'm going to try this when I get home! Oh, how would I configure my DVD player for the different khz range?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ryan

My DVD/CD player is a Panny CP72. You can just go into the setup and select the option there under audio. I don't know what player you have but you should be able to get to this option if available

Jorge

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... for some reason it was the DVD player. For whatever reason it would not allow the volume any higher; once I switched it out for a newer progressive scan player everything works great. I dunno if the bitrates were off or what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.