Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am running an AMD 1.1 GHz system with 512MB of RAM (2x256), and an ATI Radeon 8500 graphics card (1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x S-Video). Here are the conditions for failure:

ALWAYS:

On startup, if I have two devices plugged in to the graphics card (VGA & svid or VGA & DVI) my monitor simply stays black. The "no device connected" message does not come up, and the system fan runs. I don't think the computer is starting up though becasue I cant hear the disks spinning. I correct the problem by unplugging the extra device and rebooting.

FREQUENTLY:

While computer is running, I plug in a second display device and go about my business. After a seemingly random amount of time the same thing happens - the screen goes black AND the computer seems to crash becasue my music stops playing. Again, I correct the problem by rebooting with only the VGA connection on.

RARELY:

While computer is running without a secondary display device connected same thing as above happens.

If the problem is with my video card, why would having two devices connected work sometimes but now always? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Which Catalyst (ATI) drivers are you using? When was the last time you updated them. This is probably a video card driver issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was halfway through typing "I have the most current drivers - 5.10" when I realized I should check.

Just upgraded to 5.13 and hopefully everything will work.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'd say a driver issue is likely. Also check with the card manufacturer for a video BIOS update.

You may also be going into some kind of standby mode when "While computer is running without a secondary display device connected same thing as above happens". You might try disabling all power-save features of the OS and mobo BIOS if the new driver doesn't help.

Good Luck!

Gerald

·
Registered
211 Posts
if 5.13 doesn't work, you should also try loading a really old version, like 4.9.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.