AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the "Which receiver should I buy?" thing is a little like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing.

One of my main goals was to finally get my AV closet up and running. I have a long HDMI run in the wall and I was using a cheap HDMI switch, but it won't work with the new Blu-Ray player for some reason.

Prices are just an estimate based on stuff I've read here

Yamaha RX-A1000 - Retail $1,100 let's say I can find one for about $630

Onkyo TX-NR709 - Retail $900 let's say I can find one for about $650

Denon AVR-2112CI - Retail $650 let's say I can find this one for about $450

Yamaha - Pros - HDMI switching in Standby, 2 HDMI outputs, iPhone controls,current owner of Yamaha

- Cons - More $ than others, no Audyssey (is YPAO equivelent?)

Onkyo - Pros - THX Certified (I'm a sucker I know), Audyssey, 2 HDMI out, recommended by a friend

- Cons - Runs hot? (the AV closet is enclosed), no iPhone control, More $ than Denon, No Standby HDMI Switching

Denon - Pros - Price, Audyssey, I like the brand, iPhone Control

- Cons - No HDMI Switching in Standby

So what are the important things I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If you watch for sales on the weekends, the Onkyo 809 has been going for $699 the last few weeks. At that price, it is an absolute steal! And I'd take it over the other 3 on your list.

However, out of you list, I'd personally go with the Yamaha or the Onkyo. Not that there's anything wrong with the Denon, I just don't think they're as user friendly.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
If the 2112 has the features you want I would go for it. If you want to spend an extra 200 I would go with the Yamaha. It's a well built receiver and it seems like Yamahas last forever. Onkyos have good features for the money but I just can't in good conscience recommend them knowing all the problems they have had recently with quality control.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the Denon HDMI 'thing' still a problem? Or was that just on the older models?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare /forum/post/20770685

I know the "Which receiver should I buy?"

Yamaha - Pros - HDMI switching in Standby, 2 HDMI outputs, iPhone controls,current owner of Yamaha

- Cons - More $ than others, no Audyssey (is YPAO equivelent?)

Onkyo - Pros - THX Certified (I'm a sucker I know), Audyssey, 2 HDMI out, recommended by a friend

- Cons - Runs hot? (the AV closet is enclosed), no iPhone control, More $ than Denon, No Standby HDMI Switching

So what are the important things I'm missing?

Denon and Onkyo have Audyssey Multeq XT, it will also adjust subwoofer. I don't think YPAO touches sub. And there is iPhone (and Android) control for Onkyo.

I don't think Denon is right in the league here, without pre-outs and a second HDMI out. But if you don't need them, shouldn't make a difference.

I'd go for the Onkyo 809 straight if we'd have a $699 offer, it's little over 1000 where I live.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare /forum/post/20770685

The new Onkyo X09 series don't run hot at all ... in fact the 809 I tested at Magnolia was running cooler then the comparable Denon 3312CI. The X09 series offers the same HDMI Standby feature as does Denon (LAST or a specific HDMI jack) as well as AUTO (any HDMI source selected can pass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare /forum/post/20771040

Is the Denon HDMI 'thing' still a problem? Or was that just on the older models?

What HDMI "thing"?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the HDMI controller (or something related to HDMI) was failing on a bunch of receivers.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The biggest omission with the Denon is Preamp Outputs. Unfortunately, in the US, you have to step up to the 3000 Series to have these. In Europe, the 2310 has Preamp Outputs, but not the CI Features.

The 709 offers Preamp Outputs and a great deal of flexibility for building up your HT with it also having THX Post Processing as well. Add in Networked Capabilities and excellent Video Processing and you have quite a compelling package.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Of those I would go with the Yamaha as my only somewhat educated belief is that it has better build quality, more features, better sound and a much longer warranty (3 yrs) than the others.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

And A-Stock Onkyo's have a 2 Year Warranty with the ability to add 2 additional years for around 50-60 Dollars for a total of 4 Years of Factory Warranty. This Warranty must be Purchased at ShopOnkyo, but it is not a 3rd Party Warranty.

I am not sure if the other Manufacturers offer this, but they well might.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I just realized that Zone 2 might be a problem. I was going to run Zone 2 for outdoor speakers. I'll start with a pair of speakers, either weatherproof ones under the eves or some 'rock' speakers. I don't think 2 will be enough to cover the whole yard. I anticipate at least 4 total.

I kind of thought I could run 4 speakers off the Zone 2 or run 2 off the AVR and get a wireless setup for the other 2 speakers.

I was looking at the Yamaha RX-A1010 and I saw this:

Do all the receivers in this price range share the Zone 2 with the 7.1/7.2 amps?

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare /forum/post/20776059

I think I just realized that Zone 2 might be a problem. I was going to run Zone 2 for outdoor speakers. I'll start with a pair of speakers, either weatherproof ones under the eves or some 'rock' speakers. I don't think 2 will be enough to cover the whole yard. I anticipate at least 4 total.

I kind of thought I could run 4 speakers off the Zone 2 or run 2 off the AVR and get a wireless setup for the other 2 speakers.

Do all the receivers in this price range share the Zone 2 with the 7.1/7.2 amps?

Are you planning on having a 5.1/5.2 system in your home theater plus 4 speakers in zone 2. If so, then you can use a speaker selector to play the 2ch zone 2 through 4 speakers. If you want more than 5.2 channels in your home theater plus a powered zone 2, then I think you might need to go up in price, although I'm not sure, or use the zone 2 pre-outs and get a separate inexpensive amp for zone 2.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare /forum/post/20776059

This simply indicates that the AVR can be used to power either a 5.1/Zone2 or 7.1 as there are a total of 7 channels, otherwise as noted above, the Zone 2 preouts can be used if you want a 7.1 setup in the main zone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have any of the speakers for the HT yet. I was probably going to wire up for 7.1

So the Denon 2112ci is lacking the Zone 2 Pre-Outputs. Do you have to physically move speaker wires on the Denon to change from Rear Surround to Zone 2, or does it switch like the Yamaha?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.