AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally got a new tv. my 5 year old hitachi 43 crt rp broke and will be about 800 to fix (conv. chip and a light yoke?) went and got a Samsung HL-S5086W.

love it so far.

When i moved i never really got the old surround setup from my old place. that was 7 years ago. ( reason was the 3 kids and at the time all under the age of 4)

but anyway they are older now.

with the new tv and some new found ambition i kinda setup the old system. (well the sub and 2 front speakers)

for me to run the rear speakers i am going to have to run wire through the ceiling. ( cant go under due to slab in basement and cant run under carpet)

my old reveiver is a Sony STR-D715 which is a 5.0 system and only dolby prologic.

no sub out at all. i think i bought it around 1994 or so. at the time it was a very excellent unit.

the way i have to hook up the sub is run the front speaker wires in the sub and then out of the sub to the front speakers. a pain but seems to work ok. not used to anything else.

i would really like a new receiver but my funds are limited one since i just got the tv and 2 the wife.

im am also limited to the units at bestbuy. i have rewardzone bucks, gift cards and 12% off or if i can find it open box i can save 20% off and get the gift card too.

i wanted onkyo but they dont carry it so im kinda limited in a way.

the units that i am looking at are panasonic SA-XR55S, pioneer VSX-816K, sony STR-DG600 and the yamaha HTR-5940BL.

i might be able to get one of the 399$ units but unless there is a big diff in those and the ones i listed i will stick the the lower priced ones.

im kinda leaning towards either the yamaha or sony..

due to the size and arangement of my roon i dont need 7.1.

also the speakers that i have are an aiwa sub. klh front speakers ( look like the baby advents) a klh center channel and klh rear surround speakers.

(yes i like klh speakers they have always sounded very good to me for the price)

right now i will have the cable box, tv (for the ota hdtv ant), dvd player (none hdmi might get one of the upconverting units in a couple months), ps2 (maybe ps3 on down the road when the drop in price) and a vcr.

thank you for your help in my selection

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
IMO look past the sony. In my experience with them, their power ratings are overinflated, sound quality can be beat by many at the price and their customer service if you should ever need them is horrible.

The Panasonic XR-55 gets rave reviews for sound quality, it's smaller due to the digital amps and runs cooler than other analog receivers if that's an issue with you. It's limited on connection options compaired to the others and is not as user friendly and doesn't have as many user settings.

Don't let a 7.1 receiver vs 5.1 be an issue. You can run a 5.1 setup on a 7.1 receiver exactly the same as a 5.1 receiver. You just simply don't connect the rear surround speakers.

I would recommend going for the highest model Yamaha you can get 5940, 5950 or (preferably the HTR-5960) or the Pioneer 1016 if they have an open box or a sale that puts one of those in your budget. Any of those are great receivers. I've personally tried the Pioneer 816 and as far as features, it's loaded for the price, but it doesn't compaire to the SQ of the 1016 or the Yamaha receivers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i went to bestbuy 2nite after work and they didnt have much of a selection left in the open box stuff.

but i did end up getting the yamaha htr-5940.

there wasnt that much of a diff between that and the 5950 and i dont think there were any options that i would use on it.

after i used my gift gard reward zone and the 20% off open box coupon i walked out of the store with it for $180 (tax included) and got my $50 gift card back.

i have not hooked it up yet still have to run the rear speaker wire. but hopefully i will be very pleased with my purchase esp. at the price i got it for.

might go back and get an upconvert dvd player. hehe

just a couple of questions

now that i have the dedicated sub out port, does it just connect with a regular rca patch cord or is there a special one i need to get.

this is a 6.1 system i guess the 6th is for a rear center channel. would this make a difference in a movie of shouls i just stick with the 5.1. and if so what type of speaker should i get. something about the same as a regular front center channel.

thanks for the input Jakeman02 and everyone else on the posts that i have read.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiddawgs /forum/post/0

well i went to bestbuy 2nite after work and they didnt have much of a selection left in the open box stuff.

but i did end up getting the yamaha htr-5940.

there wasnt that much of a diff between that and the 5950 and i dont think there were any options that i would use on it.

after i used my gift gard reward zone and the 20% off open box coupon i walked out of the store with it for $180 (tax included) and got my $50 gift card back.

i have not hooked it up yet still have to run the rear speaker wire. but hopefully i will be very pleased with my purchase esp. at the price i got it for.

might go back and get an upconvert dvd player. hehe

just a couple of questions

now that i have the dedicated sub out port, does it just connect with a regular rca patch cord or is there a special one i need to get.

this is a 6.1 system i guess the 6th is for a rear center channel. would this make a difference in a movie of shouls i just stick with the 5.1. and if so what type of speaker should i get. something about the same as a regular front center channel.

thanks for the input Jakeman02 and everyone else on the posts that i have read.

Congrats, excellent price and a nice receiver, you should be happy with it.

The dedicated sup output uses rca type ends as you noted. They have cables quoted as "subwoofer cables" that some will tell you to use and I have. Truth is it's just a quality rca cable. I wouldn't recommend using something cheap like comes with a vcr
but as long as it's a thick quality cable with rca type ends it'll work.

monoprice.com or partsexpress.com are great places for quality cables that won't suck your wallet dry.

·
Registered
384 Posts
rabid, I have a yamaha with 6.1, but only use it in 5.1. As far as the speaker for the 6th channel, I would find out what is sent to that speaker. Is it the same signal as what is sent to the center channel; i.e., most all of the talking, or is it an "affects" channel, similar to the rear surrounds? If it is an "affects" signal like the surrounds, I would get a speaker like/similar to the surrounds. If it gets the same sounds as your front center channel, then I would try to match it.

I imagine it gets the surround sounds. I don't think I would care for voices coming from behind me when the person doing the speaking is in front of me on the screen.

Frank

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where would i go to find out what sounds are sent to the 6th speaker?

i think i have some pretty decent quality rca cables from my days in the car audio era. i could just split em apart so i just have one.

i think i might sue that $50 gift card for an upconvert dvd player. which one from best buy would be a good match for my tv and this receiver.

oh my tv is the samsung HLS5086W

i was thinking about getting the samsung DVD-HD860.

thanks again for all the help. there is alot of knowledge here i know i have alot of reading to do before its all done.

i kmnow this might be in the wrong forum area but i keep hearing about some dvd for setting up the tv. where and how do i get this so i set my tv settings.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiddawgs /forum/post/0

where would i go to find out what sounds are sent to the 6th speaker?

i think i have some pretty decent quality rca cables from my days in the car audio era. i could just split em apart so i just have one.

i think i might sue that $50 gift card for an upconvert dvd player. which one from best buy would be a good match for my tv and this receiver.

oh my tv is the samsung HLS5086W

i was thinking about getting the samsung DVD-HD860.

thanks again for all the help. there is alot of knowledge here i know i have alot of reading to do before its all done.

i kmnow this might be in the wrong forum area but i keep hearing about some dvd for setting up the tv. where and how do i get this so i set my tv settings.

In a 6.1 setup the information from the surround speakers is sent to the 6th speaker. You're not missing any sound by going with a 5.1 system. If you have the right room and placement it can create more of a surround effect, neverthelss the 6th speaker is getting the same information the other rear speakers do. IMO not worth it.

Check out the DVD player forum for information on an upconverting dvd player, you'll probably get better information there.

I think the DVD you're talking about is avia. It has both audio and video calibrations you can use to tweak your tv and avr for optimal video and audio. The audio portion of the dvd is worthless though without an spl meter. You can pick one up from radio shack for $40 - $50 and avia you can find anywhere on the net. If you're a member of netflix they have it also, it on backorder when I wanted it though and I got tired of waiting so I got mine from amazon I think it was around $35 or $40, it's been awhile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.