AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exisiting 'original' Rel Stata sub is popping like crazy.

I've spent too much time now trying to find a sweet spot to minimize the popping and actually getting some low bass. I'm ready to throw in the towel and get another.

The thing is I dunno 16+ yrs old now, so it's probably time for replacement. Even on the weakest of settings, it still pops occasionally.

It's married to some equally old Kef Q70's floorstanders, a Kef 90 center speaker. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V2700 which is newer. Everything outside of my sub works harmonously... I'd like to keep my budget as reasonable as possible, seeing that I'm a little short on money, because I've just purchased a new home. If I can get away with only spending $250, that'll work for me !!!!

I am at my early stages of research, and would like some advice as what to get for this budget. Unless you can suggest any repair options? REL is a UK make, and I now live in the USA. I brought it with me from the UK 7 yrs ago. Truth be told it's been popping for some time now, but rather than fix the problem, I just left the sub turned off.(I also had baby's sleeping one room away). But now in my new home, which is far more acoustically set out, and kids older and far enough to not be woken) I've regained a taste for some low bass in my movie watching.

Can I repair this? Or if not, please help me in selecting a replacement.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Great deal on Newegg this weekend for the Energy S10.3 subwoofer at $249.99. It regularly sells at about $400-$500. Here's the ad with the promo code (see the electronics & more section). You'll have to subscribe first to their mailing list to be able to use the code in your shopping cart.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
At about the five year mark, one of my subwoofers intermittently made pop sounds that slowly became more frequent. I suspect that the power capacitors (plus possibly a few other parts needed to be replaced). If you are lucky you can look at capacitors and see if they are swelling (a sign that they are going bad). In my situation, I just purchased a new plate amp. Both OAudio and Parts Express have good selections. You might check in with REL.

If you can get a service manual (Google search - plus $15-25 download fee), have a volt/ohm meter and are handy with a soldering iron, you could try to fix it yourself.

You could also look into the Hsu STF-2 or the eD A2-300 (each ~ $400) as a replacement subwoofer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts