AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to lay my beloved 56" rear projection to rest, so it looks like I am in the market for a new TV. I have considered getting a front projection for a few years, but didn't what to make a move until I needed to. Well It looks like the time is here. I would like a few opinions please.

Option 1:

I considered getting the Vizio 55" LCD panel. That seems like a simple solution and it is basically plug and play. The room is pre-wired with everything in the walls.

Option 2:

Get an FP. I saw the price on a Viewsonic Pro8100 which looked nice for my first projector. Getting a projector would require a little work because I would have to run all new cables and electric in the ceiling. I would be installing the projector in the lower level of my house and I dont have any access other than busting a few holes in the drywall. Not really a problem because that is easily fixed.

So what do I do? I really don't want to spend more that 1500. Light is not an issue in the room but I really don't like to watch in a complete blackout. I would be using the projector for sports and movies but I also have a 42" LCD panel in my living room for other viewing.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I recently went from a DIY screen to a DaLite HC White (1.1 gain) and I'm now able to watch with a 25 watt light running all the time. I'm not real thrilled about watching in a total blackout either, but, in a lot of situations, the light goes off. The good thing is, for the times when I might want a slight bit of ambient light, it is now my choice. Before, any lights just killed my viewing experience. My screen was inexpensive btw, purchased from AVS.

Given that you have a set to still watch in daylight upstairs, I'd say the projector is a no brainer. Take a look around the forum and see how many people you can find who are complaining that they bought a projector and wished they'd gotten a 50" LCD. It's a pretty small number, like zero. Now look at how many say the reverse. That's a big number. This should be telling you something.

I had a RP and went FP. Yes, I can say that there has been a time or two that I sorta wished I had kept my TV instead of selling it, but ya know what, I can sure deal with it. Viewing angles, picture quality, color, natural looking images, it all adds up to a much nicer experience with the FP. Mines not real big at just over 100" diag, but I certainly could not have afforded a TV that size! hehe.

I was not at all disappointed with my RP choice or purchase. I had a Mits and it was a great machine, still is. However, it is not a FP and cant' come close to the image quality of the InFocus X10 I've got now. Not in it's wildest dreams could it make an image like the X10 does. It did cost less, cost less to maintain, worked in light, and made less heat. I won't say there's no tradeoffs but if viewing experience is of utmost importance, just go grab a FP and punch a few holes in the sheetrock.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply.

I have already looked into a DIY screen. I think that is the way I would go if I get a projector. Not sure about the gain yet, but I can make my room pitch black.

What fp would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R /forum/post/17016884

I have already looked into a DIY screen. I think that is the way I would go if I get a projector. Not sure about the gain yet, but I can make my room pitch black.

I also have a room that I can make pitch black, but still, I was dissatisfied with the light scatter from my painted screen. It looked great, and by no means did anyone every say that looks bad. But I wanted to view in more ambient light and so I switched. My room is purpose built for this too, it's just a preference and that's why I mentioned it.
Quote:
What fp would you recommend?

I would not presume to recommend since I really have no experience with them other than my X10. I love this machine. A few months back when I purchased, there really wasn't anything else in its class to compare. Now, there are a few others that are competitively priced. The W1000, the HD20, etc. I'm sure every mfgr is gonna have $1K 1080 projectors in the near future so the market is not as cut and dried as it was when I bought mine.

Finding someone here who either sells projectors or has a ceiling full of em in their own room is the person to ask. I can say X10 yada yada yada, but for me to compare to some other and say this one is better would be misleading you. Maybe it is nicer, but I certainly don't know that. I just know I really like the X10 and its 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Something else I might mention about my X10 FP. I have AC in the house, and EVERY time I run the pj, the AC is on. (adding to the electric). That thing is like a space heater in the room. My rptv wasn't near that bad for heat. I bet not even as bad as an LCD Tv. In an hour, this thing makes the room unbearable. So unless you can deal with the temp increase, consider that as a "Con" to the fp purchase.

I admit, it's hot here now. 90's and 85% humidity. I can't see a mile outside due to haze. It's hot. But even when it's not overly warm, in my new room with new insulation / walls / windows, etc. It's way too warm in there for enjoyable viewing. Get 6-8 people in there and now I don't even want to think about what it would be like without the AC.

I'm curious to see what this is like when winter sets in. I would not be surprised if this thing shuts my furnace off when temps are above 40f outside. I bet it can keep the house warm from 40 or 50f and that's not exaggerating.

As for not wanting to spend over 1500, you can easily get a 1080 FP, mount, cables, and a DaLite roll up screen for under 1300.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoot

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right, size does matter.

K-Spaz

I know about humidity because I live in St. Louis - enough said.

It somewhat funny what you said about which pj I should get. Most people push whatever they bought and you did not do that. I respect that and I thank you.

I was trying to stay around 1500 for the pj but I can go more if I need to. The mount, cable, and screen is just gas to get it going so I wasn't adding that in the price.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin_R /forum/post/17016235

Light is not an issue in the room but I really don't like to watch in a complete blackout.

Thanks.

Watching a movie on a 110" screen will light up ANY room, no matter how dark it was to begin with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Everyday tv watching is not for FP's...if possible. I have a 50" Sony LCD that I use for just kicking around the house TV so I don't have to sit in the dark. However, my theater room with Pnny ax-200 with 120" screen with PS3 absolutely kicks ass. I am still amazed a year and a half later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts