AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe what I am about to do..I am going to wait again, until I see what new if anything comes out this August or September 2007. As many have read my other posting I had a great deal on a Sony KDS-R70XBR2 + Stand + Warranty for $5499.99 + Tax.

I know, I can keep waiting and waiting until the cows come home.of which I have been waiting for over three years, but every time I come close to buying that little voice say's there is something better coming out soon and I give in. I don't know if it's my wife talking to me while I sleep but I think I will listen to the little voice.AGAIN!

Has this happened to anyone before, and what did you end up doing about it?

· Registered
502 Posts
Everyone has different needs and some have more patience than others. I got serious about getting a large TV in November. I'm amazed I managed to wait til CES before I ordered. I saw nothing there that wowed me, so my Samsung 7178 will be arriving next week. I'm sure it will hold me for a couple of years

Kudos to you if you can wait. I've pretty much given up the waiting game if the current offerings meet my needs, cause there's always something new just around the corner.

· Registered
16,406 Posts
I bought my DLP 3 1/2 years ago. Yes, there are better sets available now, but it does look great (I don't have a newer one sitting right next to it) and I have enjoyed watching HD all this time. Watching my beloved Patriots and Red Sox win in HD -- it just doesn't get any better than that. Be careful or you'll still be waiting 2 years from now.

· Registered
4,681 Posts
The question does deserve some thought. I would not wait unless I felt that a signifciant improvement was around the corner. That does seem to be the case, at least from a price standpoint, with plasma and LCD. The only thing I am interested in as far as RPTV is concerned will be the new JVC 998 series. If JVC brings to the table what they are promoting then it may be worth waiting for.

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just on JVC web site taking a look, the JVC -65S998 (if thats the right number) its only 11 or12 inches wide were the Sony is over 24" wide. I would really like to see this next to the Sony. I also have read that Sony maybe ready to show there new set in March or April if not sooner and that to my only be 12" wide. The size of the set is not really the problem for my living room is 25x25 so it won't take up to much room.

Its just I like to have cutting edge for at less six months.

· Banned
347 Posts
Watching my beloved Patriots and Red Sox win in HD

· Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I wish I would have waited. I bought the xs955 a little after it came out. But if I had waited, I would have wound up buying the 60xbr1 wishing I would have waited to buy the 70xbr2 because it accepted 1080p. But I'm enjoying big screen HD and gaming in HD so I'm not missing out on too much because I couldn't wait to join in the HD fun.

· Banned
21 Posts
waiting to buy a sony sxrd, forever, is the smartest decision you could make. The sony tv has the defective sxrd technology that presents a green hazey distortion call the green glob. Its a design defect that cannot be repaired. Your best best is to get the Mitsubishi 831 or 732 series. That tv has recieved the highest rating of any big screen tv, EVER, from CNET.

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmaeder /forum/post/0

waiting to buy a sony sxrd, forever, is the smartest decision you could make. The sony tv has the defective sxrd technology that presents a green hazey distortion call the green glob. Its a design defect that cannot be repaired. Your best best is to get the Mitsubishi 831 or 732 series. That tv has recieved the highest rating of any big screen tv, EVER, from CNET.

I say two...three things to you "GO AWAY" TROLL

· Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmaeder /forum/post/0

He is at it again

· Registered
583 Posts
To get back on track after the troll diversion, I'm waiting too. I've been nursing my RCA 38" HDTV for four years watching and waiting for a TV that would convince me to upgrade to the bigger screen I've always wanted. The Sony 55" SXRD A2000 was close, but I like the picture better on XBR2. Unfortunately, I can't accommodate a 60" in our furniture, so even if the XBR2 didn't have the dumbo ears, it wouldn't fit. The plasmas look great these days, but we still watch standard def about half of the time, and I hate the stretch modes and fear burn in with the gray bars. I'm really hoping that JVC will incorporate its black level breakthroughs from its new front projector into a rear projection model in the reasonably near future, but as far as I have read, they chose not to do so for the new slimmer TVs they are about to release. Once JVC gets the 15,000 to 1 contrast technology incorporated into a RP, I think I'll be ready to pull the trigger; unless, of course, something even better has come along by then.

· Registered
446 Posts
You realize that if you don't put a stop to the cycle you'll be waiting forvever? Electronics makers aren't going to suddenly stop putting out new products and models. I don't understand the reasoning behind this...even if you buy a new set 50 years from now, there will be another better one on the horizon, so what's the point in waiting?

· Registered
1,823 Posts
I've got to agree with that one - there will always be improvements, and more frustrating - potential breakthroughs. A year from now all you'll be hearing is laser technology, and if you can just hold out until 2010 you'll be able to buy one.

I gotta say, maybe it's time to draw a line in the sand and take the plunge or just realize that there is nothing that is going to make you pull the trigger.

Will there be something else out next year? Yes

Will it be "better"? Yes

Will the differences only be apparent if you put the two models side by side? Yes

Will you miss out on another year of top-quality HD? Yes

In the grand scheme of things, how much will it matter whether you buy one now or a year from now? Not much

EOR

· Registered
286 Posts
I am also waiting again. I was also presented with a great deal but ended turning it down. I still cannot get over the fact that Sony is still using the same case design for three generations. I like the design but it is getting old to me. I would like to see a piano black case design, hidden speakers, and laser backlight also.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
How does the Old Maid get to be an Old Maid? Always waiting for Mr. Right to show up.
I've had my first HDTV for over 4 years now, with the second big screen on the way as I type this.

Make the commitment, I don't think thiings will get markedly better than they are now. Right now, you will get a stellar display in terms of PQ. So jump in 'cause the water's fine!

· Registered
449 Posts
I decided to keep my 51-inch Hitachi CRTRP that I just purchased for DIRT cheap.

The second gen DLP LEDs tempted me. LCOS with LED tempts me. The DLP LED prototype with contrast with 100,000:1 tempts me. And the stereoscopic 3D prototypes that were being trumpeted for DLP and LCOS tempts me. So I'm hoping in less than 2.5 years I'll be able to get a 100,000:1 LED set that does stereoscopic 3D for gaming. And I'll giveaway the set I just bought (719.99 plus a 50 rebate). Just got tired of waiting. So at that price, I could careless how long I keep it. But my perpetual waiting had to finally end.

· Registered
224 Posts
I was in the same boat.....research, think about it, go to the stores and watch the various displays, reading about something newer or better just about to come out...when I realized that I was trying not to miss out on the "latest and best" or simply to be "future proof"....which is something that realistically can't be accomplished. The various manufacturers will continue to tweak/upgrade/change/add technology....not necessarily to improve the customer's viewing experience, but mainly to improve their market share and bottom line. They will always be trying to "one up" their competition with new bell and whistles.

So, I finally decided that I would simply buy a set that suited my needs right now simply because I don't forsee those needs changing in the foreseeable future. In the end, I bought the Sony KDF 46E2000 for a little over a grand. For me, it has great PQ for HD, SD and DVDs. No need for me to wait for or spend many extra $$$$ for a set that probably wouldn't perform any better than the set I bought....plus I am able to enjoy it now...not 6 months or longer from now.

· Registered
366 Posts
I've pretty much been there. Bought a HLN series DLP back in 03 and have enjoyed it quite a bit since. For the source material that I have had available for most of that time (HD cable, upconverted DVD over DVI, and Xbox 360) I haven't seen much out there that would be a dramatic improvement in PQ. Certainly not enough to justify an outlay of thousands of dollars. In the past year two things have happened to make me start looking closer again: first I picked up the HD-DVD addon for the 360 which can be a true 1080p source, and second Samsung came out with an LED based model. The LED's potential in color reproduction paired with the no more hot/needs to be replaced bulb means that the set will run quieter and last longer. I was interested but not terribly impressed by the 1.0 version of the technology, but I believe they'll work out the kinks this year. So I'll be looking at an upgrade that will actually be an upgrade sometime this summer. Plus I have a buyer for my other set lined up so that's sweet.

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You all have made very good points on this matter of should I wait or just buy and enjoy. But having buyers remorse before I even buy will most likely kill me if I don't see what the newer sets have this Spring! By waiting won't the price of the set go down in price making it a better choice in the long run.

I must say I am really thinking of just going and getting the set and enjoy, but its the little voice (my wife) saying maybe we should wait "the tv we have now is still working".

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.