AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to two different retailers looking at TVs (CC and Sears). Both had Hitachi LCDs and Samsung DLPs next to each other being fed from the same HD source. In my opinion, and in the opinions of all the salespeople at both stores, the LCD looked better than the DLP. Better colors, better sharpness and more detail. Overall, a much better picture. I absolutely did not notice any loss in black level or contrast wrt the LCD. No screendoor and I have yet to see a faulty pixel. I'm just not sure why most of the people here seem to think that DLPs produce a better picture.

What don't I seem to understand?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You must be looking at very poorly adjusted DLPs. They (DLPs)are the rave at CC, BB and Sears in the Boston area BUT are hard to get. They cost so much more for a reason. I went to all the stores that carried them, including Tweeter, and kept wondering why the DLP sets looked so much better then the other ones. After doing a little research, now I know why.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Being a former owner of the Panny PT-50LC13 & now a current owner of a Samsung 50inch DLP I have to disagree with you, but what matters most is what looks best to your eyes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
(please hold for a moment while I put on my asbestos lined nuclear reactor suit) - I agree. My experience is the same as yours- I think the Hitachi picture is better than the Samsung DLP. After reading all the negative posts about how horrible LCD RP sets are, I guess I need to get my eyes checked.:)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no doubt that none of the sets had been calibrated. I also absolutely disagree with the concept that that more expensive=better. I know for a fact that it is not true in all cases at all.

wk200, I would not say you have to get your eyes checked at all. ALL of the shoppers we asked about the two TVs picked the LCD in both stores. I have yet to find anybody who picked the DLP. Just to make sure, the DLP looked great, its just that the LCD looked better. FYI, both were fed via component rather than DVI.

For reference, I own a Pioneer Elite.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Try to see all of them in a better setting than Sears, CC, or BB. In our area they all have very bad viewing areas with either very bright lights or too little space. They also tend to only have there feed which is made up of clips so short that there is no way to look from one set to another to compare.

Remember that as the lights get dimmer (more like home) the blacks get more like gray.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own a LCD RPTV (50LC13), but I think that the Samsung DLP sets have a slight edge, if you don't see rainbows. The main draw for the DLP would be better black levels, in terms of color and detail, I think it's a toss up.

However, I dont believe that the better black levels justifies the extra $1000, which is why I went with the 50LC13.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by benchiu
I own a LCD RPTV (50LC13), but I think that the Samsung DLP sets have a slight edge, if you don't see rainbows. The main draw for the DLP would be better black levels, in terms of color and detail, I think it's a toss up.

However, I dont believe that the better black levels justifies the extra $1000, which is why I went with the 50LC13.
I 2nd that.

Slight edge to DLP...minus the mechanical/artifact issues. Not worth the extra $.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adendum,

At CC, I also saw a Panny LCD and was not terribly impressed. Therefore, I may only be comparing the Hitachi LCD to the DLP rather than all LCDs.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Just buy an LCD like I did and enjoy it. Who cares what someone else thinks? If you are buying the TV to impress someone then get a plasma.

Cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
Today, I saw a small Panny LCD TV (about 20") and the Panny 37" Plasma (37PWD5UZ) in Costco. I was surprised that the LCD had a much better black level than the plasma. In fact, it looked the same as a near by CRT tube TV, i.e., almost perfect. On the other hand, the plasma had better detail in black area. If my GWII had that kind of black level I saw on the small Panny LCD, I would be elated!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tboo
..but what matters most is what looks best to your eyes.
Ditto. If the LCD looks better in your eyes, then it looks better. Period.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Comparing televisions in store is not fair to either set, when it really comes down to it. Unfortunately, it's the best we have, but it really isn't fair.

For starters, both are set at Factory settings. These are really far from the calibrated settings that you would have in your home.

I've had the chance to play the televisions in question after hours at Circuit City (I know the store manager). After playing with the calibrations for both sets, I have to say that I very much prefer the Samsung DLP to both the Hitachi and Panny LCD's. The picture just feels more natural to me after calibration.

I didn't get a chance to play with a Grand Wega, as none of them were on the show floor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I own both a Sony 60" LCD and the Sammy 50" DLP and without a shadow of doubt the picture on the Sammy DLP is much more vivid and has better black levels. The rainbows are a minor ditraction on occasion, but are no big deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seems like there is some apples and oranges going on here. Isn't the "small Panny LCD" a direct view LCD set versus a rear projection LCD like the GWII and the PT-50LC13? I could be wrong, but I didn't think there was a smaller Panasonic RPTV LCD than the 50".

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfr700
Seems like there is some apples and oranges going on here. Isn't the "small Panny LCD" a direct view LCD set versus a rear projection LCD like the GWII and the PT-50LC13? I could be wrong, but I didn't think there was a smaller Panasonic RPTV LCD than the 50".
YOU ARE CORRECT! From what I understand, Panny was supposed to produce one in the low to mid 40's. When I saw the reviews posted here about the 50", I e-mailed Panasonic - and they said that 50" was the smallest.

David

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Last years Panasonic LCD RPTV models were 40" and 45".

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There was going to be a 43" model this year. Instead, there will be a 60" model.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.