AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post on here so try to be gentle :p

I've had my 16GB iPhone 5S since late October last year. It works fine in itself, but seems so have an insatiable appetite for headphones.

I've never been one to buy expensive earbuds (the most I've ever spent on a pair was ~£15) so I was quite impressed by the sound from Apple's EarPods. However, they slowly started to get quieter in the left ear (it was pronounced after maybe 10-12 weeks of use). You can balance this out in the iOS settings but it makes the right side (which still worked fine) quieter as a result of shifting the balance.

My friend has since lost them so I bought a pair of Skullcandy Jibs for about £10 roughly 6 weeks ago. They also went quiet in the left ear, but within about 4 weeks of use of use this time, so I returned them and got a refund.

I then bought a pair of Sony EX15LPs (also for circa £10) 2 weeks ago as a replacement and the same problem has happened - but this time it's the right ear that has gone quieter. I really liked them and they seemed to be quite high quality for the money.

After the same problem has happened to 3 consecutive sets of headphones, I'm starting to wonder about whether it could be something more than them all just breaking? I'm used to buying cheap earphones every 4-5 months after the wires break etc. but that was because they broke entirely in one ear.

I usually have the volume on around 75% and most of the stuff that I listen to is reasonably bassy (but nothing exceptionally so). I use my earbuds whilst I work out, commute and just generally throughout the day (it's nothing overly strenuous). I also noticed a few months ago that headphone plugs didn't appear to be able to fully enter into the jack on the iPhone (it never properly "clicked" like it used to), so I poked about in it with a cotton bud, blew out dust etc. but there are some aux cables that will still come unplugged really really easily.

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first post on here so try to be gentle :p

I've had my 16GB iPhone 5S since late October last year. It works fine in itself, but seems so have an insatiable appetite for headphones.

I've never been one to buy expensive earbuds (the most I've ever spent on a pair was ~£15) so I was quite impressed by the sound from Apple's EarPods. However, they slowly started to get quieter in the left ear (it was pronounced after maybe 10-12 weeks of use). You can balance this out in the iOS settings but it makes the right side (which still worked fine) quieter as a result of shifting the balance.

My friend has since lost them so I bought a pair of Skullcandy Jibs for about £10 roughly 6 weeks ago. They also went quiet in the left ear, but within about 4 weeks of use of use this time, so I returned them and got a refund.

I then bought a pair of Sony EX15LPs (also for circa £10) 2 weeks ago as a replacement and the same problem has happened - but this time it's the right ear that has gone quieter. I really liked them and they seemed to be quite high quality for the money.

After the same problem has happened to 3 consecutive sets of headphones, I'm starting to wonder about whether it could be something more than them all just breaking? I'm used to buying cheap earphones every 4-5 months after the wires break etc. but that was because they broke entirely in one ear.

I usually have the volume on around 75% and most of the stuff that I listen to is reasonably bassy (but nothing exceptionally so). I use my earbuds whilst I work out, commute and just generally throughout the day (it's nothing overly strenuous). I also noticed a few months ago that headphone plugs didn't appear to be able to fully enter into the jack on the iPhone (it never properly "clicked" like it used to), so I poked about in it with a cotton bud, blew out dust etc. but there are some aux cables that will still come unplugged really really easily.

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
You ought to look for a pattern here- cheap headphones and ear buds are crap.

If you're using a case for the phone, is might be a problem where the plug doesn't fit through the hole and is being wiggled out.

I have a set of Pioneer ear buds that I use when I ride my bike and work in the yard- I have dropped my iPhones while they were plugged in and they still work fine after 5 years. They sell for about $30, so that's about £20?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You ought to look for a pattern here- cheap headphones and ear buds are crap.

If you're using a case for the phone, is might be a problem where the plug doesn't fit through the hole and is being wiggled out.

I have a set of Pioneer ear buds that I use when I ride my bike and work in the yard- I have dropped my iPhones while they were plugged in and they still work fine after 5 years. They sell for about $30, so that's about £20?
This is true, but I've had much cheaper headphones that have far outlasted the ones I mentioned (by several months) but that was when I was using a Nokia phone. They always either died or worked, there wasn't any loss of volume from one side.

The leads that fall out the phone are too big to fit through the gap in my case so I have to take the case off to use them, but they'll still fall out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.