AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fujitsu PDS-5002, which has always worked great. All was well earlier this evening, then I turned it off for 10 minutes. When I turned it back on, I could vaguely make out the image, but there are random colors all over the screen, a generally noisy/snowy appearance, an unmoving horizontal demarcation across the middle of the screen, and rapidly moving vertical lines, moving separately in the top and bottom halves of the screen.

Any idea what this might be? Is this a catastrophic failure? I've power cycled the unit several times, but it persists, and on all inputs from all sources.

One of the reasons I bought it was that it had a 3-year warranty with in-home service. Of course it's now 3 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid I may need to bury it, but that will be like putting $12,000 in the ground.

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me whether it's something worth fixing. I suspect it's the electronics rather than the plasma panel itself, but who knows.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You have a PM.

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also have a 42" Fujitsu that is 4 years and 3 months old. It's dying... Set will work fine for 5 minutes to around an hour than it just shuts off. LED in the lower left corner goes from solid green to flashing red. The only way I can "reset" it is to unplug the unit for a while - 30 minutes+. Then it works for a little while & dies again.

Bummer... I'm thinking it will cost me AT LEAST $500 to fix it. Anyone know what it might cost? Any similar experiences?? Cost me $10,000 + Tax + Install :-(. The picture pretty much sucks by today's standards (The $1,499 Maxent ED at BB has a better picture), but it makes no sense to toss it. The plasma itself is fine, but I believe a board or maybe the power supply is dying. I'm thinking of fixing it and putting it in the wife's sewing room. I am seriously thinking about a new Samsung HPR-4072" or Panasonic (50u or 500u) for the bedroom. Any opinions?? Samsung seems REALLY good (has speakers, HD Tuner, PIP, 60,000 hr. life, etc...)... Key for me, is QUIET... Samsung is fanless. Anyone know how noisy the Panasonic is? My old Fujitsu??? Fuggedaboudit!! The fan sound like a vacuum cleaner! Any other really quiet models someone can recommend?

This is gonna cost me.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
On your I would be tempted to checkk all of the fans. I would even unplug it and vacuum around every opening in the chassis.

You would be surprised what builds up over time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I do not recommend Vacuming out the TV just because with computers that absolutely kills the electronics. Try using an Air can and blowing **** around and hopefully getting it out, or if you can see the electronics bare (like take off the panel that covers them) use the air to push the dust off then vacum it up from a distance not so close to the electronics.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I have vacuumed my laptops (vents, ports, keyboard) for years and have never had an issue. Are panels that much more sesitive?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did it.... Blew it out with dust-off AND vacuumed. Yeah, after 4+ years, there was a LOT of dust in that thing!! Still the same problem. I had had it unplugged overnight. Will try to see how long it lasts tonight before it shuts down. Seems like some sort of overload or thermal switch is shutting it down.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm waiting for a reply from Fujitsu to the e-mail I sent last night. Depending on the response, I'll probably also call, once I find the right phone number.

In the meantime, the question is whether it's worth repairing, vs. buying a new one. Looking at what's out there, it's amazing how cheap plasmas have gotten (I know, it's all relative).

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, to update this thread, I just got a repair estimate of $2500 to replace the scan drive and "upper scan output," whatever that is.

I need to decide what to do. It's 3 1/2 years old, and given the current prices, I'm not sure that paying that much makes sense.

I just wrote to Fujitsu service asking if there is something they can do for me since the warranty only recently expired, and since the failure in the electronics probably still represents a manufacturing defect.

If they don't, I'm tempted to think about one of the upcoming Pioneers or Panasonics.

Any advice? If I don't get the Fujitsu repaired, should I just junk it, or does it have any value to anyone?

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is sort of like when you go to the auto mechanic and they say "yeah, your uhh... your Johnson rod is cracked. We're going to have to replace it. That'll be $700". What can you do?!

(credit to George on Seifeld from the Putty-the-mechanic episode)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Geez! $2500 can buy you a lot of plasma these days. I know Fujitsu has always been a great brand, but one of the newer Panasonics or Pioneers would be able to match, if not exceed at this point. You should definitely post your old one on Craigslist, eBay, or see how much one of your local tv repair shops will give you for it. You'd probably be surprised.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aykew--

Thanks. The eBay/craigslist idea is a good one. Getting something (a few hundred dollars?) for it would make it mentally easier to justify buying a new one.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I received a reply from Fujitsu. I had asked them about trading in the defective unit for a reduced-price replacement, or in some other way giving me some consideration. I pointed out that I was an early adopter, having paid $12K for the plasma, that I paid a premium for the Fujitsu because of their commitment to good service, that I was otherwise satisfied with Fujitsu and would like to stay with them, and that even though my unit was 6 months out of warranty, an electronic failure likely still represents a manufacturing defect.

They said there was nothing they could do. I understand that they are under no obligation to do anything since it's out of warranty, but I'm just putting the information out there in case anyone needs another data point regarding companies' customer service in order to make a buying decision.

I would indeed have liked to stay with Fujitsu, but at this point I won't. I guess I'll be looking at the upcoming Pioneer 5060HD, or the latest Panasonic 50s.

If anyone wants the Fujitsu for a low price--the plasma panel itself is in perfect condition--feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's unfortunate that your Fujitsu died...However, the new Fujitsu models are amazing and are considerably less expensive than what you paid and are still at the top of the heap quality wise. I had always heard that the life expectancy of the older plasmas was about 3-4 years.

I just got a 55" Fujitsu which beats most everything else out there PQ wise - after the rebate currently being offered I paid just over 6k for it.

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck. According to most big manufacturers including Fujitsu the current crop of PDPs should last about 60k hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.