AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this - you know, January is generally a slow release/news month, we have gotten a ton of great titles so far, and the situation with the upcoming release schedule isn't that bad/will be resolved.

BUT, I think our impatience is being amplified - either consciously or unconsciously - since we all know deep down that anything SD DVD is now a waste of time, vastly inferior, and much more uninteresting by comparison.

Prior to HD DVD - we would have still been interested in new SD DVD developments, releases, new ways to play them, buying them, etc. But now most of us have stopped buying SD DVD completely for several months and we can even see/feel that doing something as relatively "harmless" as just renting SD DVDs is still a waste of money by comparison.

The need to compete in the format war adds extra pressure too - but I think mainly it's so hard to be patient because HD DVD is so good. HD DVD is so awesome to us that it's like excellent, pure crack-cocaine that we need to live while dealing with SD DVD is like sniffing markers by comparison.

I think many of us would have waited several more weeks before complaining/worrying at all - if this wasn't the case...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I don't share the same opinion.

I've been getting a lot of enjoyment catching up with sd dvds I've bought and haven't watched until now.

Like the Bd'ers keep harping about- content is king.

I find that the resolution limitation isn't a big deal for me, but EE and ringing are what can take me out of the moment. Thankfully, the last few sd movies I've watched have had these thing in check for the most part.

The only part of my collection that I look at and shake my head at now are all the non anamorphic discs of titles that won't be getting an SE DVD anytime soon, let alone an HD version. Coincidentally, 95% of these happen to be from studios that are exclusive to Bd.

So I'm doubly screwed.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma /forum/post/0

BUT, I think our impatience is being amplified - either consciously or unconsciously - since we all know deep down that anything SD DVD is now a waste of time, vastly inferior, and much more uninteresting by comparison.

Prior to HD DVD - we would have still been interested in new SD DVD developments, releases, new ways to play them, buying them, etc. But now most of us have stopped buying SD DVD completely for several months and we can even see/feel that doing something as relatively "harmless" as just renting SD DVDs is still a waste of money by comparison.

Really? I bought 11 SD DVDs last week. Sure, I'ld have prefered to buy HD DVDs, but I'm more interested in content than just a pretty picture. There is WAY too many titles out there thatI don't own yet, that will probably never be on HD. I'm not going to limit myself to just whats on HD, especially since the A1 is great at upscaling. In fact, I really don't understand the mentality of "HD or nothing". Its just too limiting.

J

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0

There is WAY too many titles out there thatI don't own yet, that will probably never be on HD. I'm not going to limit myself to just whats on HD, especially since the A1 is great at upscaling. In fact, I really don't understand the mentality of "HD or nothing". Its just too limiting.

I agree, thousands upon thousands of titles on DVD from hundreds of studios worldwide versus a couple hundred HD titles from a handful of studios.

I guess if you mostly only like what mainstream Hollywood shovels out "HD or nothing" is for you.

Not to mention an enormous portion of my collection will either take years to come to HD on either format or simply never will. Cannibal Holocaust, Mr. Vampire 1992, Alien from the Deep, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse, Buppah Rahtree, Sars Wars, or Viy or Spirit of Evil on HD DVD or Blu-ray? ...maybe in 2017.

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB; 106" Da Lite HD Progressive 1.3 Screen; Denon 4700H AVR; Panasonic 820 Blu-ray Player
3,187 Posts
I haven't purchased a single SD DVD since owning my HD DVD player. In fact, I've been trading in most of my SD DVD library.

The frustrating thing about HD DVD right now is not so much that January is "slow," but the fact that there is no hope on the horizon. Looking all the way past April, there are currently only two titles that I'm interested in that have been announced. I guess for me, it's the lack of future announced titles, that is causing a problem. If there were 20 titles in February that I was interested in, then a slow January wouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:

I was thinking about this - you know, January is generally a slow release/news month, we have gotten a ton of great titles so far, and the situation with the upcoming release schedule isn't that bad/will be resolved.

The need to compete in the format war adds extra pressure too - but I think mainly it's so hard to be patient because HD DVD is so good. HD DVD is so awesome to us that it's like excellent, pure crack-cocaine that we need to live while dealing with SD DVD is like sniffing markers by comparison.

I think many of us would have waited several more weeks before complaining/worrying at all - if this wasn't the case...

Well, I'm pretty patient these days for new HD/Blu-ray releases, because there is a very big hole in my wallet.

Anyway, whenever I order from my favorite web site for new upcoming DVD releases, I first check the HD/Blu-ray section before I order the standard DVD. Now, I only buy DVD's if I know it won't be released on high definition for awhile. Yeah, I'm an official HD/Blu-rayHolic.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I can still watch SD DVDs but I find background noise and artifacts bug me now after watching HDDVDs which in most cases are flawless in those areas it can be hard to watch...

Sometimes ill even watch a laserdisc from time to time. Although I've only got a 30" CRT HDTV so the diffrences in formats on a large FP setup must be mind bogling. I'm gessing that why VHS didn't allow FP to tack off as a VHS at that size would really look terible. VHS looks bad on a small screen...

But I think (hope) universal will anounce a lot of movie soon. Prehapps japan is on their minds at the momment as well as the UK who just got HDDVD...

Might watch pulp fiction tonight on SD DVD. Such a great movie the PQ isn't super important although I'd love to see it on HDDVD.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0

Really? I bought 11 SD DVDs last week. Sure, I'ld have prefered to buy HD DVDs, but I'm more interested in content than just a pretty picture. There is WAY too many titles out there thatI don't own yet, that will probably never be on HD. I'm not going to limit myself to just whats on HD, especially since the A1 is great at upscaling. In fact, I really don't understand the mentality of "HD or nothing". Its just too limiting.

J

Big J,

Since you are more interested in content, just out of curiosity, have you bought a Blu-ray player yet? I ask because there are a lot of really nice titles coming out over the next 60 days or so and it should continue indefinately. I personally am more about content as well. I feel both Blu-ray and HD-DVD produce a nice viewing experience.

~Josh

·
Registered
720 Posts
Since I'm using the HD-A1 not only for HD DVD but also for SD DVD, I have actually started to purchase DVD's like I did from 1999 to 2004... around 30~40 titles per month. This is due to the fact that the HD-A1 is SOOOO good at up upscaling so SD DVD's look really good.

Even when I purchase HD DVD's or BD's (Theater only use for now) I still buy the SD DVD version for the video server for the rest of the house.

For me, SD DVD still have ALOT of life left even when one or both HD formats take off.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm not buying SD DVD content but I am still renting it. I prefer to watch movies in HD but if not, I'm happy to watch it on my upscaling player. Once again, the actual content is what's important.

P.S. That crack cocaine reference was very weird.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The impatience is from seeing so many great titles coming for BD in the next three months and seeing so few compelling titles listed for release on HD DVD.

Sure, it's January and it's slow. But slow for BD seems to be pretty quick now compared to just a couple months ago when the situation was reversed. It is quite odd and it is enough to make one wonder what is going on in the HD DVD camp.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0

Big J,

Since you are more interested in content, just out of curiosity, have you bought a Blu-ray player yet? I ask because there are a lot of really nice titles coming out over the next 60 days or so and it should continue indefinately. I personally am more about content as well. I feel both Blu-ray and HD-DVD produce a nice viewing experience.

~Josh

No, not yet. Right now, there are only a few movies on the BR list that I'm interested in. That said, there is a good chance I'll buy into BR sometime this year, if they ,eet a few requirements:

1) there has to be more exclusive BR movies oit that I want.

2) They have to make a stand alone player that's at least as good as my A1, at a reasonable price. (Don't even go into the PS3 argument, its not a consideration).

J

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My purchasing of SD-DVD has completely died since I've had the A1, but I now rent a lot more.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i agree with the original poster...in my opinion it's worthless to buy SD DVDs at this point, unless it's a TV show you know isn't coming to high def for a while, or it's a cartoon.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I'm with the OP as well. I stopped buying SDDVDs a year ago and have no intention of going back.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
HD to me isn't the end all,be all.I'd rather have the content,regardless of the media it's presented on.I own the 360 HD add-on,and have seen 4 movies in HD(Bourne,Batman Begins,The Mummy,Superman Returns). Prior to seeing the HDDVD versions,I saw these movies either in the theatre or on SD-DVD.While the added visual quality was nice,I can't say it made me enjoy the movie anymore.I see some members on here admit to buying movies they wouldn't ordinarily bother with,but only gave it the time of day because it was Hi-def.I can't say I understand this metality,but to each his/her own.

SD-DVD,the 200 plus I own,will always have a place in my home.I can watch them anywhere,on my dvd player,my PS2,my xbox 360,my desktop computer,laptop,portable DVD player.The same can't be said for these HD movie disks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've stopped purchasing DVDs as well. I do pick up some Fox and Sony titles occasionally, however those are very rare purchases. I have over a $150 in Best Buy Credits and can't think of a single movie I'd like to purchase!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:

I've watched a few LD titles this past week (including the first three Bond films in CAV), plus a couple home made DVDs, a VHS tape, and some incidental cable movie transmissions. Saturday, I picked up a great $7 SD DVD ("Go Tell The Spartans") and then three more at 10% off on Sunday ($20 for the three -- including a Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes collection). Would have picked up the original "All The King's Men", but I was too cheap to drop $13.50 on it

I occasionally watch an HD DVD, but I've just got SO MUCH other content on hand, they simply aren't an issue. In fact, out of my 17 HD DVDs, 11 are still waiting to be opened. Too much other good stuff for me to get too concerned over them. After the upcoming 300 titles start to show, I'll eventually place other orders, though can't say when I would get around to watching them

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.