AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought home my Philips 50PF9731 on Saturday and love the picture. Last night I finally got around to programming the Comcast Universal Remote to operate basic TV functions. The TV had been on for about 10 hours at this point as I left on thru the afternoon for breakin. Anyway, entered the code which successfully turned the TV off and then on but when the picture cameup it was distorted... color was fluctuating green and yellow, there were lines and the picture was offset. Needless to say I freaked out and turned the TV off immediately. I then turned it back on again with the Comcast Universal Remote and same thing happened. Turned it off again, then used the Philips TV remote to turn it on and everything was fine. I experimented couple more times just to confirm including trying the other code for Philips in the Comcast remote manual with the same results.

This seems extremely unusual to me as I would have thought either a remote sends the proper signal to operate TV functions or it doesn't. I don't understand how a remote could have this effect... I can't find anything documenting a similar problem. Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think this has anything to do with your remote since I was seeing the same problem on mine. I say "was seeing" because I can no longer see anything on mine since I exchanged it on Sunday. Sunday morning I hit the power on my philips remote, heard the normal click and saw the green light... then a blinking red light and no picture. I tried all the usual remedies (off/on, off-unplug for minute or more-on etc) and none worked. A quick search here and I determined a board blew, after only 1.5 months. I quickly packed it up and brought it back to costco. A short hassle free time later I was packing the 50" panny into the truck.

On another note, I have the THX optimizer DVD and never could get the Philips to display the contrast tests properly. The main contrast test would just display a solid white box, regardless of how I adjusted the settings. None of the white bars were visible on the advanced test. I assumed it was my dvd player (upconverting panasonic). I threw in the optimizer dvd after hooking up the panny and everything was displayed correctly... same dvd, same cable... different tv.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread23 /forum/post/0

I don't think this has anything to do with your remote since I was seeing the same problem on mine. I say "was seeing" because I can no longer see anything on mine since I exchanged it on Sunday. Sunday morning I hit the power on my philips remote, heard the normal click and saw the green light... then a blinking red light and no picture. I tried all the usual remedies (off/on, off-unplug for minute or more-on etc) and none worked. A quick search here and I determined a board blew, after only 1.5 months. I quickly packed it up and brought it back to costco. A short hassle free time later I was packing the 50" panny into the truck.

On another note, I have the THX optimizer DVD and never could get the Philips to display the contrast tests properly. The main contrast test would just display a solid white box, regardless of how I adjusted the settings. None of the white bars were visible on the advanced test. I assumed it was my dvd player (upconverting panasonic). I threw in the optimizer dvd after hooking up the panny and everything was displayed correctly... same dvd, same cable... different tv.

I'm glad you said that. PhilipsPhanatic would have been on me like a cheap suit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.