AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't get tickets to the Mann Chinese (a premiere theater in L.A.) so I made the mistake of going to an AMC multiplex that had one screen showing AOTC in digital.

There are a lot of good things to say for digital presentation - I think this was clearly a large step above what Joe six pack gets to see at the mall in most of America. However it was clearly a step down from pristine 35mm film prints shown in premiere theaters run by professionals. That may be irrelevant though to the business model of D-Cinema since the number of people who get to see 35mm done right are very few.

In any case, back to my point. Unless I am mistaken, I think there was a convergence problem with the projector (AMC Universal Studios Cinema at Citywalk) - when showing white text on a black background I could clearly make out red edges.

I also wondered about the blurriness mentioned in another thread.

And blacks were totally crushed - just a gray mess.

This has me wondering if D-Cinema at the multiplex is inferior to D-Cinema at a premiere theater in the same way that 35mm is inferior when done improperly.

I'll report back after viewing AOTC again at the Chinese.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
A convergence problem is definitely a posibility and would create a somewhat blurry image.

Also if the projector was first generation it will only have about a 400:1 on/off contrast ratio. So shadow detail will often be compromised.

I saw it on film this weekend and I was very impressed with the shadow detail and that the dark areas weren't loaded with film grain. But alas the film presentation wasn't quite as sharp (for whatever reason) as what the cinema was able to do. The promo for Minority Report was slightly sharper.

I think Lucas went overboard trying to smooth out any pixel structure in the film version that he sacrificed some resolution in the process.

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.