AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran DScaler on Win2K for about 6 months. I upgraded to XP, and now when I try to start DScaler, the initialize screen says that there is no hardware. I am able to get the WinTV software to work just fine with XP. I am using a GeForce 3 with the 21.83 drivers, although using different drivers isn't helping. The only thing that I think that it could possibly be is that maybe I need to get the TV card on its on IRQ for it to work properly. Can anyone figure out what is going on here?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hi--

Try re-installing the WDM drivers for the card. It should work fine. You might have to do a search and destroy in your registry for dsdrv*.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Normally you DO have to have the manufacturer's drivers installed to get DScaler to work, even though DScaler doesn't use them. XP might be a little different, though.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Dan,

Are you sure about that? I don't think that is the case. I don't think that I have ever installed a set of drivers for any card that I have used with DScaler.

-Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
I DID have to install my capture card's drivers to get Dscaler to work in XP. Also, for some odd reason, I had to completely delete the Dscaler directory and re-extract the Dscaler zip file. Just deleting the .ini file did not work. Kinda weird. I dunno, but it worked.

Also, if the drivers for your card give you trouble in XP, you may want to try the universal wdm drivers that are out there. I don't have a link, but I found them from reading this forum.

Good luck,

Brent

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I'm starting to believe, with mystical conviction but no hard evidence, that there is a registry entry somewhere that is needed for BT8xx cards to get enumerated.

I don't know what that entry is and I don't think DScaler even cares what it points at or even if there is driver code. But this would mean that DScaler might not find a card if at least once sometime someone had not installed somebody's BT8xx drivers.

But then again, this is how silly superstitions get started.

- Tom

·
Registered
660 Posts
You "upgraded" your win2k install or you did a fresh install? I'm always against doing the upgrade path. I don't trust is and it's probably the least tested. If you did do the upgrade path I would suggest wiping the driver and doing a fresh install not only to try to get this to work but it may also avoid problems in the future.

Also, I had to move my PCTV card to get it to work. This likely changed its IRQ. If you have your card int he last two slots of the MB I would try moving it closer to the AGP slot. Sometimes these slots are not shared.

Do something else for us as well. Run the DXdiag and see if your video card passes the directdraw test. I had some issues here and had to lower my AGP aperture in the bios to 16 to get everything to coexist properly. If you pass..forgittaboutit.

hope that helps some

EAS

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
We sure have a lot of doubting Thomases. ;) I think a more general sweep of the hardware is done on the NT drivers and a registry search is done on the Win95 drivers. Doesn't Win XP load the Win95 drivers? That's the assumption on which I based my first post. That said, I have no idea whether a simple reinstall of drivers will work, but it's an easy first step.

Please see:

PCIENUM.CPP (Win 95-type driver; see \\HKL\\ENUM\\PCI especially)
PCIENUM.CPP (Win NT-type driver)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I didn't need to install video input drivers (for an ATI TV Wonder VE) to get DScaler working on my Windows XP system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I tried reintsalling the WDM drivers and I got the following message upon rebooting:

You do not have a VGA driver with DirectDraw support installed.

Updated drivers may be available. Check the VGA Driver Disk which came with

your Win/TV or contact the VGA card or chip manufacturer.

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Windows Version = 5.1.2600

HCWTVWND Version = 2.74.19226 DS

Display Driver Name appears to be: VGA

Current VGA Mode is 32 BitsPerPixel (1 colors).

Current VGA Resolution is 1600x1200.

Current Refresh Rate = 85

Direct Draw Version is: 5.1.2600.0

DirectDraw Capabilities indicate "No Hardware Support".

DirectDraw Capabilities indicate "Microsoft Certified Driver".

DirectDraw Capabilities indicate "Hardware Does Not Support Overlay".

DirectDraw Capabilities indicate "Overlay Can Not Stretch".

DirectDraw Capabilities indicate "Hardware Does Not Support ColorKey".

DirectDraw Indicates Minimum OverLay Stretch = 0.000

DirectDraw Indicates Maximum OverLay Stretch = 0.000

DirectDraw Indicates Total Display Memory = 0

DirectDraw Indicates Used Display Memory = 0

I'm using the Nvidia digitally signed 21.83 drivers. I have reinstalled them several times but I keep getting this message. I have also tried the default WinXP geforce3 drivers and the 21.81 and 21.85 drivers. It says that it isn't supporting direct draw but when I run dxdiag, all the direct draw tests work fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think there are really 2 problems :

1 - the WinTV WDM driver has to be installed in order for Dscaler's own bt8x8 drivers to locate the TV card. You could do without by manually messing with the registry but it is much more easier to just install even a buggy Wintv driver.

2 - Apparently, the NVidia drivers you installed do not enable overlay. It really depends on which version and wether you use the graphics card manufacturer's version of the driver you install.

Installing the latest version is definitely not a guarantee that overlay is correctly supported (on Win98 i had to revert to a very old version of the Nvidida drivers in order for my TNT2 Ultra to support overlay!!, with Windows 2000, overlay support on my machine limits itself to about vga resolution ???).

From my experience, overlay support is akin to voodoo magic on Nvidia cards.

You just have to get on the right combination of OS, driver, card...

However you can try to fiddle with the registry and locate a "Enable overlay" (or something like that) entry for the Nvidia card and change the value from 0 to 1. It is known to have been effective for some people.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like I must be having a Direct Draw problems. Like I said, the dxdiag DirectDraw tests work just fine, but the fact that I can't get DScaler to work and that I'm now starting to get an error saying "Ddraw surface error" when I try to play CoolPool3D, tells me that there is something messed up with my video card drivers. Can anyone provide me with any advice?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Remove and reinstall the display drivers. I'd also try older win2k/XP drivers (14.10 or so)..or the newest Win2k/XP drivers from your card manufacturer (ideal).

To remove those stinky det drivers change your display adapter to "Standard VGA" from geforce and reboot. After rebooting remove the det drivers using the add/remove programs UI. Reboot. After that install new drivers.

That should clear things up.

Have you updated your motherboard bios to the most recent version?

I'm still curious whether you did a fresh install of XP or installed over win2k.

Let us know how it goes

EAS

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Firstly, yes I did do a clean install of XP from a formatted hard drive. I tried to intsall the latest ELSA Gladiac 920 drivers and I still get the same problem. It seems that something is wrong my direct draw and I have done everything I can imagine to try to fix it (I tried to reinstall directx too). I am having direct draw problems in coolpool3d is well so it appears to be something more universal. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Please revisit the error message that I get when I try to reinstall the WinTV drivers. I would love to get DScaler working again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.