AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping for components, but found this big name brand REFURB for $280 direct from Manufacturer... Dont wanna post link, since I am not sure if it would be considered spam.

I am planning on getting a HDhomerun prime to use as cablecard DVR for TWC, maybe add SSD drive in near future. Also possibly run a Xbox 360 extender or two.

$280

Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit(possible cheap upgrade to windows 8)

3.3GHz Intel® Core™ i3 - 2120

6GB memory DDR3 1333

1TB Hard drive

Intel® HD Graphics 2000

300W

Wi-Fi

HDMI

Again I have built multiple PCs for WMC DVR use in the past, but maybe I am shopping the wrong sites. CPU and MB seem to run around $200 alone, throw in a legal copy of Windows and I am at this price.... Input please.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I went for a $650 refurb HP i7 two years ago also.

But HTPC and content servers are a bit special. MB+CPU to run a content server can be as cheap as $100, G530+Foxconn H61S if you can live with one PCIe slot. A bit more to run a HTPC with G630 or i3-2100. I picked up a Q67 industrial MB with dual gigE LAN ports for $50 that's running my server now. So keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manobeer  /t/1421565/i-usually-build-myself-but-tempted-by-a-prebuilt-opinions-please#post_22244800

I have been shopping for components, but found this big name brand REFURB for $280 direct from Manufacturer... Dont wanna post link, since I am not sure if it would be considered spam.

I am planning on getting a HDhomerun prime to use as cablecard DVR for TWC, maybe add SSD drive in near future. Also possibly run a Xbox 360 extender or two.

$280

Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit(possible cheap upgrade to windows 8)

3.3GHz Intel® Core™ i3 - 2120

6GB memory DDR3 1333

1TB Hard drive

Intel® HD Graphics 2000

300W

Wi-Fi

HDMI

Again I have built multiple PCs for WMC DVR use in the past, but maybe I am shopping the wrong sites. CPU and MB seem to run around $200 alone, throw in a legal copy of Windows and I am at this price.... Input please.

That looks to be an excellent deal. You may want to verify the cooling noise levels and what sort of expandability there is on the MoBo. Swapping fans in the case probably isn't a big deal but the fan on the PSU might be a little more problamatic.

Also, be prepared to spend some time wiping all the bloatware off the machine after you get it. Then do a system disc so you can recover if (when?) you mess up while setting it up for HTPC use.

What is the form factor of the case?

What speed is the NIC?

BTW, posting a link is not considered spam as you re asking for advice about the machine. I'd be more concerned about one of us swooping in and snagging one and not being able to get it myself than the link being considered spam.. so what's that link again?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I am pretty sure it is a Lenovo, I got a similar e-mail Monday morning from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1421565/i-usually-build-myself-but-tempted-by-a-prebuilt-opinions-please#post_22245271

That looks to be an excellent deal. You may want to verify the cooling noise levels and what sort of expandability there is on the MoBo. Swapping fans in the case probably isn't a big deal but the fan on the PSU might be a little more problamatic.

Also, be prepared to spend some time wiping all the bloatware off the machine after you get it. Then do a system disc so you can recover if (when?) you mess up while setting it up for HTPC use.

What is the form factor of the case?

What speed is the NIC?

BTW, posting a link is not considered spam as you re asking for advice about the machine. I'd be more concerned about one of us swooping in and snagging one and not being able to get it myself than the link being considered spam.. so what's that link again?

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
Prebuilt systems are typically cheaper than DIY systems, IMO. What you lose is flexibility of pick and choose the parts you wanted and lack of tweakability on MoBo.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I didn't find a Lenovo at that price with those specs even in the outlet store. Maybe its gone already?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1421565/i-usually-build-myself-but-tempted-by-a-prebuilt-opinions-please#post_22245905

I didn't find a Lenovo at that price with those specs even in the outlet store. Maybe its gone already?

Actually it WAS(yes its sold out) a Gateway from Acers Ebay store, Item #261071972271

Usually I prefer Build your own systems, but in this case I was having trouble coming close to that price point with similar specs... And a fully licensed version of Windows.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
That item number was re-listed and it's gone now too. Maybe search eBay again to see if it is back up again?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts