AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase either B&W 804 or 805 as my main speakers, along with the HTM2 center, DS7 surrounds, and ASW CM sub. I watch/listen 60 TV movies/ 40 music. My room is 11 x 15. In short I am using dimensions of 11x11 except for the surrounds.

Due to window/furniture and avail. space, my HT configuration has to be set off center, having the TV along the 15' wall nearly in the corner about 3' off the 11 foot wall, and angled in manner from the 15' wall leaving space behind for the subwoofer/.

The left speaker would be appx minimum 6" off the 11' wall and about 4' up from the 15' wall. The right speaker would be along the 15' wall about 10' from the corner (minimum 6" space from wall) and would then be about 8-9' from the left speaker. (Have some room to play with).

So, from the viewing length of the couch the left speaker can be as close as 6' to as much as 9' away and the right speaker as close as 8' and as much as 10'. The surrounds would be 15' apart.

My desire is to get the 804's but they "feel" too large for the room. The 805's while smaller are on stands that is about the same 'mass' as the floorstanders. I prefer buying the 804's. Note: I can possibly place the right 804 to the farthest right corner making it 12'+ from the left speaker. But this may be too far.???

It would be also be a nice option to buy the 805's, and scale them to the room by placing them on smaller stands (if can be found) so as to be in proportion to the room and at the same height as the HTM2, which will be below the TV, or no higher than 20" floor to top of the speaker. I would then like to have the 805 at that level or no higher than 24"+?.

I know the 805 requires specific stands for optimal sound, but since the center is below (20") can 805's be scaled to this possibility. Mind you I do not always sit up to watch TV or listen to music either.

What is the lowest height the 805's can be placed?

Are the 804's too large for the room?

Also, can the sub placement work behind the TV in a corner very near the equipment (DVD player especially)? Is there another small sub you may recommend to save a buck or two?

I also am looking very hard at the Paradigms Studio 40 as they are 22". I would want to put them on the floor or small stand as well. I have not yet heard then compared to the 805. Anyone heard to comment

Thanks for time and response.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
have you shortlisted the B&Ws after a lot of searching and listening? i hope so...if not, listen as much as possible before plonking that kind of $$.

sonus faber, von schweikert, magnepan, VMPS, vienna acoustics, newform research, .... google around for their wesites, see what interests you AND THEN buy.

best wishes.

ps: ppl would have a better idea of your setup problem if you could attach a small photograph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.