AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
End of story first--a System Restore Fixed everything, so this is just a matter of curiosity. There are two sets of questions. The first pertains to the display in WMC, and the second pertains to sound devices.

Machine is an HP Slimline with AMD 642x 5400+ and a Nvidia 210 card running Win7. The sound is not run through HDMI, but instead through the analog outs of the HP Slimline. The TV is an old Toshiba CRT RPTV connected through DVI.

Here's where the tinkering started. I saw mentioned here of Win7's WMC adjustment to your type of display, so having never done that I tried that, selecting TV as the display. Doing that caused the icons in WMC for Exit Program and up volume (or down if that is to the right of up) to appear off the screen. I did NOT have WMC change the resolution. Nothing I could do could get the original settings back. The display in WMC was basically too large. So the first question is, I seem to recall a manual adjustment for screen position in earlier versions, is that gone? The second question is, how do you undo the display changes that WMC makes automatically if you use their Wizard?

Just as an aside, or to give more information, related to that change, PowerDVD within WMC would no longer display properly on the screen. It was down and to the right, bordered by WMC in a proper position at top left. It was fine if I ran PowerDVD just by itself outside WMC. But if I switched WMC to run in a window, and then full screen again, it would display centered, but slightly too small (a one inch border around all sides, in WMC blue).

Because of these issues, I decided to adjust the resolution with Nvidia control center, and when that couldn't fix it, I decided to download an updated driver, even though the current one is fairly new. And here's where I think I really screwed up--I picked custom install and clean install. After doing that, my computer no longer had any sound, and none of the automated fixes could fix it. I discovered that the install also uninstalled the Nvidia audio drivers, but forgetting I was using the analog outs, I installed the Nvidia audio drivers, but that didn't fix the problem (and btw, in Device Manager it didn't show anything working improperly). What was gone, however, was my Realtek HD Audio in Device Manager, and clicking on the icon for that in Control Panel didn't do anything.

I suspect I could have gone to search for a Realtek driver, but at that point I just did the system restore. So the final question is, does the NVidia clean install wipe out all the drivers for other non-Nvidia sound devices, and also uninstall such devices from Device Manager? If so, why?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
What I think happened is that when you selected TV as your source you started having an overscan problem. TV should be selected if you have an old CRT television. However, newer CRT's and flatscreens do not need any type of overscan, so by selecting it you pushed the outside of the screen actually outside of the screen. Based on your post-count, though; you probably already knew this. But, just in case, setting it to LCD might have fixed the problem.

I only use NVIDEA on my home computer, so I am not very familiar with the overscan settings on it, but that is what should have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My TV is rather old (it's CRT RPTV from when DVI was just starting to have HDCP). I tried selecting the other settings to fix the problem, but it didn't.

I did realize it was an overscan issue, but I don't understand it. As it was my desktop perfectly matched my screen, and so did WMC. Why would MSFT assume that your desktop wouldn't match your screen? And if they are going to assume an error, I would assume they would make the screen image smaller to prevent overscan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.