AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon, Vonage is gonna offer VOIP service in my area code. So I wanna say goodby to my land line (and the outrageous intraLATA rates), permanently. But two items stand in my way, ReplayTV (I know I could always get one of the new ethernet models), and my home security system. They both have modem dialers, that vonage states do not work with their service.

Anybody here get an old ReplayTV 30XX to work with a cellular adapter that supposedly provides dial tone service? If so, that may be an option for hte alarm system as well. Although, I'm starting to think I'm gonna end up with the very bare minimum of local service.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you have a broadband connection, and I'm assuming you do otherwise you wouldn't be abandoning your landline, a solution for the Replay is to have it dial into a linux server and utilize your broadband connection for your Replay to make it's nightly updates. It's how I'm running my system and it works great. I had to rig my setup this way because I had ditched my landline before my brother loaned me his ReplayTV 30xx while he is living in Belgium. Aside from some infrequent non-connects between the Replay and the server (which usually corrected itself the next night) and a few modem lock-ups (which I no longer have to monitor because I've written a simple maintanence script that stops and restarts pppd once a week), I've not had any problems.

I'll be happy to post setup details if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'd also double check to make sure that Vonage service can call 911. I recall an article that I read about 3 months ago (probably PC Magazine, but I can't be certain) that indicated there were certain key services--most notably 911--that could not be called using VOIP. Hopefully you never NEED to call 911, but if you did and couldn't, well that would suck.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK that's one I hadn't considered. Good thing I'm getting the Linux Red Hat Bible for Christmas.

However, I still have the alarm system to contend with.

I assume the linux server is accessing a net based programming grid (like the new units) and sending that info to the Replay30xx? Doesn't sound like that'll work with the alarm system.

Hmmm...Perhaps the alarm company has joined the information revolution.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
I assume the linux server is accessing a net based programming grid (like the new units) and sending that info to the Replay30xx? Doesn't sound like that'll work with the alarm system.
Actually, I'm only using my linux server to substitute for a phone line. It still connects to Sonic Blue's servers for program information, etc. Eventually I will configure the server to do everything for the Replay (download guides, etc.), but right now it's not necessary.

This may work for your alarm system, too, but that's depending on the protocol it uses to transmit data.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There was a post here a while back about the cellphone cradle that ties into your home phonelines. Since my neighbor got rid of his home phone line, his alarm system would not work. He purchased the cradle, added another handset to his t-mobile family plan (at no charge, you can have up to 5 phones) and it is working for him.

Not sure about the replay issue as we both have network connected 4504's.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
I'd also double check to make sure that Vonage service can call 911. I recall an article that I read about 3 months ago (probably PC Magazine, but I can't be certain) that indicated there were certain key services--most notably 911--that could not be called using VOIP. Hopefully you never NEED to call 911, but if you did and couldn't, well that would suck.

Best,

Matthew in CO.
Very good point. A Cellphone could cover that eventuality though.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Supposedly the newer Cisco ATA's (the boxes that Vonage sends you to hook up to your network) can support data calls. I remember seeing somewhere that someone was able to use their TiVo on it.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
Supposedly the newer Cisco ATA's (the boxes that Vonage sends you to hook up to your network) can support data calls. I remember seeing somewhere that someone was able to use their TiVo on it.
Can you quantify that for me?

cuz...Per Vonage...

Quote:
Dear Peter,

Our service is not compatible with TIVO and other products like it. We have tried extensive testing on this product but it is not compatible.

Thomas Veroni

Vonage DigitalVoice Customer Care

1-VONAGE-HELP

1-866-243-4357
I am however keen to see some CellSocket type stuff. That should support both the ReplayTV & the Alarm System. One thing I like about this solution is, with no land line, an intelligent theif cannot simply cut my phone line, and prevent my alarm system from dialing. And 911 Service will still work.

I checked with Alltel the bare minimum land line local dial tone service is about $20.00 a month. All for one call in the middle of the night. I think not. I'll find a solution.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I don't know if it is available in your area but I use AlarmNet for my alarm system.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
What worked with Tmoble?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
What the heck is VOIP ? I can make calls over my cable internet connection??

Available nationwide?

What advantages over POTS? Prices don't seem any better.

·
Registered
366 Posts
VOIP - Voice Over Internet Protocol

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...voip~mode=flat

Sparky12 says that he tried it with TiVo and it can make a daily call. Of course someone else in that thread said they tried with ReplayTV and had no success.

Here is something from the cisco site concerning the newer versions of the ATA186:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/...it/1843_pp.htm

Basically it says that the newer models better support faxing.

I think the thing is that Vonage doesn't support it, but it may be possible.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
What the heck is VOIP ? I can make calls over my cable internet connection??

Available nationwide?

What advantages over POTS? Prices don't seem any better.
It is availible nationwide, but they might not have a local number in your area. check out vonage.com for details.

It can be alot cheaper than POTS depending on your calling usage. Vonage has a $40 a month plan that includes unlimited minutes to anywhere in the US. For $25 a month you get 500 minutes in the US and unlimited local calls.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffwa
VOIP - Voice Over Internet Protocol
Actually VoIP stands for Voice over IP, with IP then standing for Internet Protocol. In normal conversation, it is generally referred to as "Voice over IP."

Basically, you take the frequent crashes of PCs and combine them with unreliability the Internet, and voilÃ*, you have VoIP. :)

It's definitely not for someone who wants to be able to use their telephone in an emergency, but it does have its place in the business world.

Jim

·
Registered
166 Posts
When you have your Replay connect to a Linux box, how do you connect it? Do you set up a dummy phone line between two modems, or do you hack the Replay software to use the serial port? From what little I've seen, I'm under the impression that the Replay OS is rather Unix-like, so the modem and the serial port probably use the same driver, and it shouldn't be too tough to find the text string to change to make it use /dev/ttyS1 instead of /dev/ttyS0 (or whatever names they use).

Has anyone looked into this?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MinnesotaJim

Basically, you take the frequent crashes of PCs and combine them with unreliability the Internet, and voilÃ*, you have VoIP. :)
Actually you don't need a PC for vonage. You get a little box from Cisco that you can plug and ole phone into. Still not as reliable as POTS, but not quite as bad as you make it out to be.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My setup uses a ring simulator and wait for dial tone turned off in the replay. When the replay picks up to dial, the ring simulator sends a ring tone to the linux server, which answers and then authenticates the replay, allowing the replay to use my broadband connection to make it's nightly updates. It's not any faster than if it dialed in via a phone line, but it saves me $35/month in phone charges by allowing me to ditch my land line.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
Actually you don't need a PC for vonage. You get a little box from Cisco that you can plug and ole phone into. Still not as reliable as POTS, but not quite as bad as you make it out to be.
Oh, no, of course you don't necessarily use your PC (although some VoIP solutions do), but you're still using that little box (from Cisco) which is a computer--with a processor, running software that someone wrote. Rather than a telephone which can literally be just a handful of resistors, capacitors, and two speakers that will work reliably for fifty years or longer and doesn't even require an external source of electricity. :)

Consider -- How well does that little box work when the power is out? Or when your cable modem crashes? Or when a router a few hops away goes down? Or when the software in the box itself crashes? All of which are things that happen a lot more frequently than the regular telephone service going out. And good luck calling support when any of those things goes wrong, since by definition you can't. :)

If you consider your phone more of a "toy" than a "tool" however, VoIP can be tons of fun to play around with. But at just $12/month, I'm not cancelling my POTS line anytime soon. :)

Jim

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.