AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the idea behind Plasma and the thoughts of a Thin TV mounted on my wall. I cannot however get around the Motion artifacts issue that every one of these screens appear to display. Is there a reasonably priced plasma on the market that looks and performs like a CRT when it comes to this????

Fast motion and action sequences I can understand to a degree, But when an image appears unwatchable as a scene pans slowly from left to right makes me kinda wonder what is the point???

Also what is the deal with what I would call the "Elognation of images" on some sets. I mean the image is 16:9 right???

so why does a newsreader appear skinnier on one set than the set next to it in a store???

Also I am sick and tired of so called specialty shops only running anything by PIXAR 24/7. Of course these films look great on any kind of display.

I want to know what standard definition broadcast looks like on it.

That is the main selling point for me.

Surely I cannot be the only one who sees these problems as insurmountable?

I really would like one... one day!!

thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have a 42inch Panasonic Pd50 and I have none of the artifacts you describe. As I'm typing this I am watching a HD movie with fantastic PQ, absolutely NO motion artifacting.

Motion artifacting has NOTHING to do with plasma. You are watching a lower quality signal.

Example: Watching the NBA playoffs at Best Buy last year...tons of motion artifacts...go home watch on my plasma...perfect.... zero artifacting.

SD looks okay in 4:3 mode on my plasma ABout as good as my analog 36inch Toshiba.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediboy
I love the idea behind Plasma and the thoughts of a Thin TV mounted on my wall. I cannot however get around the Motion artifacts issue that every one of these screens appear to display. Is there a reasonably priced plasma on the market that looks and performs like a CRT when it comes to this????
If you're seeing this problem on every plasma you're looking at, then a plasma is most definitely NOT the way to go for you. It could be that your eyes are extremely sensitive to something that most of us don't see. Look at the other technologies to see which has the image quality that will make you happy.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Star56 is right; the motion artifacts you are talking about are not endemic to plasma. They tend to result from various things: the picture itself, the software encoding, and or the processing of the display. I've seen the stuttering/blurring motion effect on pans on every type of display. However, on some displays it seems worse. I'm very sensitive to these motion artifacts and find my Panasonic has among the smoothest motion playback (compared to the same scenes on other displays) that I've seen.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56
Motion artifacting has NOTHING to do with plasma. You are watching a lower quality signal.
I'm not sure a lower quality signal will explain what he's seeing. I watch some really low quality SD channels on my plasma and never see anything I'd describe as motion artifact. Other low quality signal artifacts, yes. But not motion artifact, or at least none that I can see. His eyes may be very sensitive to something most of us don't see. He should look toward other technologies and stay away from plasmas.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
IMO those so called "motion artifacts" are indeed source related. Audition a plasma with a good DVD player and good DVD movie and you will see it looks just as good as a CRT, only bigger and wider. As to the distortion, the only way to make a 4:3 image fill a WS display is to either stretch it (with distortion) or by zoom (no distortion but you lose some of the image off the top and bottom). Some displays do this better than others, and may use different names (Panorama, Wide, Full, Just, etc.) for the aspect formats.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
I'm not sure a lower quality signal will explain what he's seeing. I watch some really low quality SD channels on my plasma and never see anything I'd describe as motion artifact. Other low quality signal artifacts, yes. But not motion artifact, or at least none that I can see.
SD is analog. HD is digital with a lot of compression to fit in the available bandwidth. Motion artifacts can and often are caused by overly aggressive compression schemes at the front end or by the transmit source (sat, cable, OTA station, local store setup, whatever). Plasma's have no motion smear or artifact problems. LCD TVs do, but that is another topic.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If SD broadcast is most important aspect of the TV, then stick with a 4:3 CRT. SD won't look as good on a large widescreen as on a smaller CRT. Period. Large widescreen HDTVs are designed to display widescreen sources optimally. DVDs and HDTV will look great. SD will not. Its not a Plasma issue, its a large widescreen issue. LCD, DLP, Plasma, LCOS, none produce an SD picture as well as a smaller 4:3 CRT. Even large 16:9 CRT rear pros won't look as good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too am extra sensitive to motion atifacting due to source. I think it is worse than if the plasma did it, because this just means that no matter how good a tv is, it will still happen and probably always will. Might as well get a cheapo costco brand because the source is going to let you down in the end.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your input. I hope it is not just my perfection tuned peepers

I possess a 100hz 16:9 SD 32" "Orion" tv, which to my eyes is

awesome. I also possess a infocus sp 4805 projector and 92" 16:9

hi contrast screen, This too looks fabulous.

Every Plasma I look at in a store though appears to have heaps of

pixilation and motion issues.

I would love to replace my Orion tv with a Plasma.

If I could find a dealer that would allow me to trial a Plasma

in my own home for a weekend, and put it through it's paces

it might change my mind.

Alas I have not come across many dealers here in Australia

that would agree to such a scheme.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I saw a lot of motion artifacts on Plasma displays when I was looking. I got to a Panasonic and couldn't see any, no matter how hard I tried, so I got a Panasonic. The artifacts aren't endemic to Plasma technology, but to the scaler.

Some of what the original post describes sounds like some of the stretch modes on some displays. The display may be 16:9, but the signal isn't necessarily 16:9. Some ways of filling the extra space produce weird effects on pans. You should check what he source is and what dsiplay mode is being used.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think alot depends on how clean the feed is from any source. Thats why you have so many different views voiced here about various panels. One says it looks great the other says it stinks. Youll find most live in different areas and visit different stores for viewing. Many panels today offer motion compensation also.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
The artifacts aren't endemic to Plasma technology, but to the scaler.
When I had an SA8300HD-DVR connected to my 50PX50U there were occasional motion artifacts/pixilation observed, since installing a CableCARD these anomalies are no longer evident.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
I would also love a 42" plasma just because of the size (50% larger than my 34"), but I consistently notice motion artifacts and macroblocking on all of the ones that I have seen in stores, from the entry-level ED Panny to the vastly more expensive HD Pio. Even the cheapest one would require saving for at least 3-4 months, so that is a lot of money to me, and I expect more for it.

The problem could be with the signal, but since stores want people to buy, you would think they would use the best possible source.

Having said this, I still really want that big image.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I don't believe motion artifacts are inherent to plasma. It's probably the best digital display for motion and thus any artifacting with motion is likely source related.

You do see screen door effect with plasma depending on your viewing distance. This is most noticeable when the camera pans slowly. SDE is seen with most digital displays. Newer higher rez (1080p) displays should show it less.

Dithering is also a problem more noticeable on plasma than other digital displays. This is random noise visible in dark and red backgrounds, and is independent of camera motion. This has been a compromise for me to obtain better blacks and colors.

Plasma can provide black levels and natural color which is superior to other digital technologies.

Plasma isn't as bright as CRT or LCD so a controlled lighting environment tends to be more important especially with larger displays.

You just have to pick your poison. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.