AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I never got around to playing Final Fantasy XII (PS2) and I'm sure there's some games I'd love to get around to playing (Liberty City/Vice City stories)

I currently have 360 Elite and HD DVD drive with almost 50 HD DVD titles. It's time to go Blu (I mean Purple) based on Warner's recent announcement and there's several new releases I want in HD, but they're only available on Blu.

Please don't make this HD vs Blu, I own one and I'm planning to buy the other this week.

If I want PS2 BC should I purchase the 80GB now? Newegg has them in stock and I can avoid paying a nasty $50 tax by buying mail order.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
The only hope you have if the 80GB is phased out is if Sony puts out a 100% software emulator. This may not happen, but it's all you will have to bank on if you choose a 40GB unit.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I still don't understand why people think the BC units are going away. Just because they're changing up the SKU? I'd wait to see what kind of deal they're going to put together with the new controllers. It's not like the 80gigs are going to vanish overnight.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket /forum/post/12950936

I still don't understand why people think the BC units are going away. Just because they're changing up the SKU? I'd wait to see what kind of deal they're going to put together with the new controllers. It's not like the 80gigs are going to vanish overnight.
Quote:
An anonymous Best Buy employee has sent us a scan of an internal letter, which notifies employees that the 80GB system is being discontinued. "The 80GB version of the PS3 is going closeout and won't be replaced at this time," it reads. "It will come off the planogram on Jan. 28. The 60GB version should already be gone from stores. Only the 40GB version of PS3 will be sold in Best Buy stores at this time."

I'm sorry, but I just had to post that. The dating of your post made it too funny not to.

·
Registered
425 Posts
They may just be changing sku's for the pending rumble controller to be included. There still hasn't been a definitive statement that Sony won't have a BC sku.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I would get my money ready, and wait for an official announcement. 60 gigs were readily available pretty much everywhere for 3 or 4 months after Sony announced their discontinuance and I don't expect the 80gb to be any different. Unless its Best Buy, I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know that this idea seems to just be crazy to some people but why not just play your PS2 games on your PS2. Is everyone selling their PS2 after they buy the PS3 or something becasue I wouldn't think they would be worth much. I have the 80gb and don't really need the PS2 but I don't see any need to get rid of it. Although I never played any of my PS1 games on my PS2 and I haven't played any of my PS2 games on my PS3 so maybe I am the crazy one.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 /forum/post/12952441

I know that this idea seems to just be crazy to some people but why not just play your PS2 games on your PS2. Is everyone selling their PS2 after they buy the PS3 or something becasue I wouldn't think they would be worth much. I have the 80gb and don't really need the PS2 but I don't see any need to get rid of it. Although I never played any of my PS1 games on my PS2 and I haven't played any of my PS2 games on my PS3 so maybe I am the crazy one.

you're not crazy. my ps2 is a dvd player for my room, and it is nice to have the option to play some old ps2 games. however, it's certainly not a necessity.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I dont recall where it was mentioned, but others have stated that some variation of the PS3 w/ BC will be available but it will not include Motorstorm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would really hope that if Sony discontinues the 80GB PS3, they start shipping the 40GB PS3's with BC. If not, than this is a bad move for Sony.

I'd love to see a 40GB PS3 that isn't completely GIMPED like they are now going for $299. That's the price point, and product quality level that will get me on board, Sony. If I see something like this, I'll buy a PS3 for sure.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I would recommend getting a 60GB ps3 just to make sure and they can be had for a decent price on ebay or craig's list. Of course if your worried about getting a lemon unit or something, you can pick up a warranty, but I've had very good luck on ebay and and craig's list for most of my purchases. Just make sure you do your homework.

-Splints

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 /forum/post/12952441

Main reason is that for many like me, it just doesn't make sense either space wise or available input wise. I have a XB360, a PS3, a Wii, a cable box, HD-DVD player, and a BD player hooked up already to my set-up, and depending on the day of the week you can throw in a LD player, Neogeo, Turboduo, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc into that mix, so for me keeping a PS2 hooked up isn't much of a real option due to limited space. So for me its very very nice that I have a 60GB PS3, which has full BC. And that is all besides the fact that playing Odin Sphere or Okami upscaled into 1080p on my PS3, destroys playing them in ugly ass 480i stretched to fit a 1080p fixed display.

And seriously, I don't see why Sony is allowed a past on this. In the months leading up to the PS3 launch, they did nothing but throw dirt on MS's multiple SKU idea, and stated how they would not confuse consumers like MS did. WTF?? Sony has confused consumers more than ever now with their continuous pulling of SKU's from store selves, and then replacing them with new SKUs that feature LESS FEATURES. When is Sony going to quit with this foolish and confusing charade? I think once all is said and done, little things like the constant revolving of PS3 SKUs that see more and more features cut after promising not to confuse the consumer with multiple SKUs, saying their console will user in true HD gaming and then forgetting the HD cables, etc is going to be looked at by future gaming generations as some of the most idiotic and insulting moves in gaming history. If anyone else did this sort of BS nonsense **cough cough Toshiba**** we would call it a firesell and say they are getting creamed and about to lose a market, but we give Sony a freebie and I personally cannot see why.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The latest rumor is Sony will stick to the 2 SKU model and replace the 80GB with a 120 or 160GB PS3 with DualShock 3. Same pricing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232955

Quote:
I repeated the information we reported on Friday: Sony is sticking to a two-model approach at retail, but the company won't comment on whether or not the other model would be the 80GB system. The 40GB system seems safe. I asked the mole what information he had.

"Sony is, in fact, phasing out the 80GB PS3. Sony is going to stay with the two-SKU approach though, and the prices look to stay the same," the mole told me. I heard sirens in the background, and the mole seemed nervous. "The Spiderman 3 pack-in will disappear as well once the 80GB unit is gone. In order to maintain a similar value proposition to the 80GB/Spiderman 3 bundle, I expect to see a storage increase to 120 or 160GB at the same price point, plus the new Dual-Shock 3 controller... what are you trying to accomplish with this story?"
Original source arstechnica.com

Seems likely to me.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/12953363

Original source arstechnica.com

Seems likely to me.

It does indeed. Perhaps with a more recent new game bundled in (GT5 Prologue???).

If the OP truly desires BC, hands down go find a 60GB (not a 20 or 40 or 80). The hard disk is easily upgraded (so don't worry about size), took me like 5 minutes max once I had my 250G in hand.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I still see 60gb in stores. I am very happy with the bc on it. Games look much better and it still connects to the ps2 for lan fun.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm the OP.

I can't find any new 20/60GB in retail and I don't want to purchase a "new" one off eBay or even a used one locally. I'm pretty big on being the original owner of things (probably why I buy brand new cars and find myself upside-down on them heh)

As such, I purchased the 80GB MotoStorm pack from Newegg for $500 (no tax, I was buying computer parts for a customer so she got to pay my shipping heh!)

Newegg owed me $15 from a previous screwup, so that dropped my 80GB PS3 to $485 and the computer I'm building her I charged her $300/flat (I do a lot more than drop it off and say "here ya go!" $300 buys them roughly 20 hours between me building it, installing their software and working with them after the sale) so I'm paying $185.

Nope, I'm not. WHV (check BluRay/HD forum for info) shipped all of us a bunch of movies we canceled and then later told us to keep them for free and I made and then subsequently canceled an order for around $200 of movies so I sold those on eBay and made at least $175.

So.. that's my story on picking up a free, or sub-$20 Playstation 3 80GB.

I don't care about the hard drive size, I've got a 360 Elite that I use to stream my MCE content.

My goal was to go "Purple" (Blu+Red) with a Profile 2.0 player as cheap as possible.

Being able to play Final Fantasy XII, Vice City/Liberty City Stories is a bonus. Any PS/PS2 title I want to play is already confirmed working on the comptability list. Software emulation doesn't bother me.

I ordered the new Burnout, too. I tried to pick it up Friday night on 360 but BB was OOS. Newegg's $56.99 is cheaper than retail (not by much) and free shipping/no tax > BB.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts