AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I literally want it to do everything.

1) Play my iTunes library Music, Video, Podcasts etc

2) Allow USB or Firewire External HD be hooked up and available to the network for other devices besides the one it is hooked up to

3) Boxee or other service/software that has a great UI and can access all TV shows, Internet Shows, Live Sporting events.

4) Record shows I can't watch live.

5) Play my DVDs and Blu Ray movies.

I do already have a PS3, Tivo HD, MacBook, iPhone, Windows PC, Ubuntu Linux Machine, AVR, High Speed Internet through Verizon FIOS.

I want to dump my Verizon TV service since we don't need to spend all that money just to watch "Big Bang Theory" and "Diggnation"

I really am leaning towards buying an Apple TV, since there are ways to make it do some great things.

But wanted some opinions. There seems to be so much new things happening in this space, that it is very exciting, but yet not one outstanding product.

I don't think I want a HTPC because I think they will be too loud in my home. And I think even with an Ubuntu Box ready to go, I don't want to have to waste a lot of time to set up etc.

Thanks everyone

Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but thought I would chime in since I am in a similar situation. I think I want the Apple TV, but have already bought it once and it would not detect on my Itunes library. I started reading some posts and it seems to happen maybe a bit too often. I am debating on buying it again and see if my luck is better this time. Seems hard to beat for $240.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was at an Apple store yesterday in Brea, and talking with one of the guys there, the big gain is really just access to iTunes DRM media that you have. If you don't download stuff from iTunes to play, then the ATV might be too much for the gain. Meaning you can use other devices and get the same benefits beyond iTunes for cheaper.

My main concern with the other products is the ability to run Boxee. I really like their UI.

I was at Best Buy today and I saw that there are some Wireless-N routers that have the ability to hook up a USB External HD, and I have most of my stuff already on a 1TB Firewire/USB external Hard Drive. I could use a Wireless N router, so the smaller add on price to get the HD port sounds nice.

I have Boxee installed on my MacBook and I already have the cables to hook it up to my LCD TV, I might just go the router route, and hook up my MacBook when I want to watch TV/Internet videos via Boxee. I can also use my PS3 or Tivo when I don't want to spend the 2 minutes to hook up my MacBook to the TV and my AVR.

Then when the Boxee box is released, buy that and now not need the MacBook hookup.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts