by the Cable Network. I live in Copenhagen, Denmark and NONE

of the networks offer it.

Please point out an alternative, someone. Maybe by dish or something

else...

Nicholas:(¨

·
Registered
458 Posts
Considering that everything worthwhile gets canned after a season or two. Right now, there is nothing on that station that I would want to watch.

Jason

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Not enough good content and tons of commercials, your not missing anything; like the responder said before I did.:)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But...but......BUT DUNE is starting again! I'm a huge fan of the

books, and I need to see Paul Atreides getting hit by the

stoneburner!!!!

Thanks for your advice, but what if I want to? what are my options?

Nicholas/God Emperor of Arrakis

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I KNOW that...I own both sets. But I want to see the NEW

Children of Dune miniseries.

Nicholas

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Might be available by sattellite. I'm sure it's occurred to you to complain to the cable company. I complained, and my local cable company did start carrrying the SciFi channel.

I think the SciFi channel has gotten better and better over the years. Lots more movies, now, and almost all with good Dolby surround sound. I missed Spielberg's "Taken" last night, but I suppose they'll repeat it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm blank here, what would I need? If none of the cable companies

offer it, is there a way at all?

Nicholas

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But then I'll have to wait sooo long for the DVD....

Nicholas

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
As a pissed off fan of Farscape (the once proud but now canceled show on Sci-Fi) I must say that most of the programming on that channel is junk starting with Crossing Over with Edwards. The channel has become a crappy horror and cheap programming (see Edwards) station. Based on their decisions to cancel most of their popular and true science fiction shows, I almost get the impression that they are embarrassed to show SF and cannot figure a way to increase ratings without leaving their core genre and branching out to other arenas (see Edwards). This in itself is fine, but I wish they would change their name to something else as not to confuse the viewing public

I will continue watching the final episodes of Farscape that will start in January and unless the show is somehow miraculously revived by the channel, I will probably never watch that channel again. Although I am sure that I wont make a difference, I am purposely not watching Taken and I hope that between myself and others, that the numbers on this miniseries will reflect the disappointment with the channel

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
There is no REAL science fiction on that channel. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they owners, manager, network directors, etc. have no clue on how to provide hard core science fiction! Some of the crap (wanted to use the four-letter 's' word, but ...) they play has nothing to do with Sci-Fi and is pure BS.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys really mean it. Isn't there one good thing about the channel?

I'm pretty turned of now.

Nicholas

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I am sure that the creators of this channel were either SF fans or at least figured that there was an untapped market for fans of this material. The people who now own this channel only see it as just another outlet for their programming. I truly believe that these people are embarrassed by Science Fiction in general and think that the fans are geekish star trek costume wearning freaks and unless the programming can cross over like a Star Wars movie, the material is worthless. That is not to say that people who work for Sci-fi believe this, but remember that sci-fi is owned by USA which is in turned owned/controlled by Barry Diller and Vivendi.

Let me put this way, one of the reasons put out by Sci-Fi for the cancellation of Farscape was that the show was unable to expand beyond it core viewers. In other words, it blamed the show for only attracking Sci-Fi viewers. So the show was a failure due the fact that it couldnt attract people from let say the Oxygen Channel. The point being that management has come up with the idea that it core audience is no longer good enough and must now appeal to those outside the sci-fi. Why else would they be running Crossing over with Edwards day and night. As I previously wrote, it is their right to do so, but they might as well change their name to something else.

Their new model is to now show special miniseries like Takan and Dune in order to get big ratings based on big names. However, that leaves 50 weeks with crappy programming

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nich
You guys really mean it. Isn't there one good thing about the channel?

I'm pretty turned of now.

Its funny, but I used to watch it a lot when it was "bad" and less polished.

When it was a new channel, I used to get up before work and watch re-runs of the old 70's shows Stingray and Captian Scarlet.

Not sure if anyone knows these shows, but they are done with puppets, but not ordinary puppets. These puppets drink booze, sweat, crash cars and shoot each other.

Sci-Fi now seems to have a little money, but offers up much more mainstream programming. I could never get into any of their series. They all had a cheapness about them, just like parent company USA's offerings. The wierd thing is that I like cheesy/schlocky stuff, but Sci-Fi/USA seem to take themselves too seriously. I can't recall watching the channel in months.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Well, as a reader of SF for over 40 years, I disagree with most of what most of you say about the SciFi channel. I agree that Crossing Over is bad, even offensive, and I agree that at least 90% of the programming is not worth watching. But 5-10% good stuff is great, for a cable channel. I thought Farscape was boring -- endlessly talking heads, silly costumes. SF on the screen needs big bucks for production values. Dialog is for books.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
GregLee,

I am willing to bet not one employee at the SciFi channel has a) read a single piece of science-fiction work, b) couldn't name three sci-fi movies from the 1950's or three sci-fi shows from the 1960's, c) couldn't explain what 'sci-fi' is short for, HAH!

Do I need to go on?

The owners of that channel are using it as a means of selling advertising and nothing more. Why the heck is it that TNN can show ST:TNG (not advocating ST:TNG, but at least its sci-fi!) but we get crap that isn't even sci-fi! If the want to show Stephen King horr then create a horror channel!

There is enough mediocre sci-fi shows and movies from the 1950's to the 1980's that could easily fill all the timeslots, but we get garbage nonetheless. Its nothing more than a marketing dream for SOB's that will get their just-dessert ... In Hell!

BTW, can you tell I am a sci-fi junkie? :) What we need is a coup.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Back to the original poster's question, what satellite networks are available to you? I'm not sure whether Sky Digital would cover as far north as Denmark, but it can be recieved in other European countries and it has Sci-Fi. I'm not sure whether Sky is officially available across Europe or whether some people have imported digiboxes/access cards from UK/Ireland. Sci-Fi has different programming in Europe than in the US but I'll agree that a lot of it recently is 3rd rate.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Sorry, got caught up in the heat of the moment. I cannot honestly answer this question as I do not live in Europe. My apologies for the ranting.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Dialog is for books."

Right on. Some of these films have so much dialogue that you can

close your eyes, and get the story anyway.

I take it you're into Asimov, Vonnegut(some) and Dick, then? I read a lot

of SF too, not 40 years since I'm only 28...:)

But who should I contact about SCIFI channel? Please continue to express

your views about the channel.....I really want to hear.

Nicholas

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.