AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the absolute best picture quality for watching DVD's. I don't need PIP, extra inputs, surround sound etc.

I'd go for a Monivision, but the comments about black level have scared me off. The refurbed Philips at Electronicsnation look good, and I'm leaning in that direction.

Is there a TV that stands head and shoulders above the others without going over ~$2500?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
There are only two sizes of 16:9 direct-view sets, 30" and 34".

The best direct-view set recommended around here a lot is the Sony 34XBR800

which has a list price of $2499, but available discount for less.

Next is the Toshiba 34HDX82 a little cheaper and lighter with a smaller footprint if you are tight on space.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The RCA F38310 rocks. We've had ours for almost two years and couldn't be happier. A quick search shows them to be around $1,800 new, although we got ours for about 1200 off of the showroom floor. Do your research, but keep this beauty in mind.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The RCA 38" set has been discontinued for at least a year, its not available new only used/returned models. Yes the new Sony models coming out in the next few months look like a much improved version - if you can wait for that, its the best bet!

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Good job Kadman! I see you are now convinced that the Sony 34" WIDESCREEN sets are the best to recommend. Keep it up! You now agree with my choices.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cinepro
I'm looking for the absolute best picture quality for watching DVD's. I don't need PIP, extra inputs, surround sound etc.

I'd go for a Monivision, but the comments about black level have scared me off. The refurbed Philips at Electronicsnation look good, and I'm leaning in that direction.

Is there a TV that stands head and shoulders above the others without going over ~$2500?
Best picture quality for DVD, huh?

There is a new DVD called "T2: Extreme" coming out this summer. Includes the regular T2 DVD (720x480) and another disc containing the Windows Media 9-encoded T2 movie at a minimum of 1280x720 pixel resolution.

That is 1280x720 native pixels. . not just scaled pixels. And Monivision/CTX/Princeton Graphics are the only tubes that can display 1280x720 natively.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
Good job Kadman! I see you are now convinced that the Sony 34" WIDESCREEN sets are the best to recommend. Keep it up! You now agree with my choices.
This person was looking for a 16:9 TV, so I'm just trying to help. Now look at a few posts where people are looking for a 4:3 set. You'll find posts from yourself telling them that it would be "wrong" to buy 4:3 and you try to convert them to widescreen. This is a good example of you creating "camps" in your mind. Nobody else is interested. Congratulations on ruining another thread!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Cinepro,

The Sony 34XBR910 Super Fine Pitch sound like a major upgrade for this widescreen as is due out in July. If the Sony hype doesn't pan out, then you would have great bargaining leverage for the older 34XBR800 as the stores will want to move out the older model. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Sony 34XBR910 looks like a winner. I will put off my buying decision until I can audition this unit.

I hate to have to wait, but I know waiting is better than regretting...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Cinepro, i am selling my toshiba 34hf81 hdtv widescreen. PM if your interested.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree as well. The 34XBR seems to be the best TV for DVD and HD in this price range unless of course you can find a loewe aconda for this price.

DonBerg,

You just don't seem to get it do you?

The original poster asked for the best TV for watching DVD's so of course a 16x9 set would be best for his situation.

Why do you have to go and make remarks like that?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
What remarks - I recommended the Sony 34XBR800 and others agree, so my remarks were correct! Even if someone initially requests info on 4:3 models, I feel it is appropriate to point out the 16:9 models since many are not aware of their advantages and might not have even considered them. I wish to provide the joy and experience I have gained as a widescreen HDTV owner to newbies. Kadman seems to want to restrict them from considering only the first model type they think of - I on the other hand wish to expand their choices!

·
Registered
470 Posts
But if they mention 16:9 first you aren't interested in expanding their choices. Seems pretty selective to me. Hmmm....

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
If they are already looking for a 16:9 then obviously they are already considering correctly, everyone is already aware of old 4:3 sets! However Kadman has to push them anyway.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote:
If they are already looking for a 16:9 then obviously they are already considering correctly
This is all anyone needs to know about you so that they don't trust you. Widescreen is A way to go, but not THE ONLY way to go.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I always recommend old 4:3 analog sets to those who only watch old 4:3 analog programs, no HDTV or DVD. But I recommend 16:9 widescreen sets for those who want to watch higher quality HDTV and DVD movies. Unlike Kadman I tell it like it is, Kadman only pushes 4:3 sets because he is worried about offending people who think that is all there is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
He recommended it because the original poster is asking about widescreen TVs. If he were to behave like you, he would spout on and on about how 4:3 sets are better, much like you do about 16:9 sets. There are different sets for different needs, you have to realize that. What you think is best is not always the best for someone else.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.