AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a simple, but quality bookshelf speaker set for my office. I was wondering if anyone here could give me a play to do a little research before I go and order a bunch of stuff. Should I build a 2 way or 3 way? I was thinking I would build a 2 way and add a small sub for a 2.1 system. If I build a 2 way would I just buy a tweeter and a midrange, or a tweeter and woofer? Do I get an extended range speaker? Next is the crossover. I understand a what a crossover does but I am clueless on how to build one. I would much rather buy a pre-assembled one. Anyone have a good tutorial or an article to read on this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
 http://www.audioheuristics.org/proje...ence_rs225.htm

I built a smaller version for my 4 surround speakers. Smaller in depth only to use on wall. They sound fantastic as mains, because I had to test them to see if I assembled the XO right. These would make a great 7.1 speaker system...Good luck

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,173 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
In short: if ou don't know how to build crossovers, you don't know how to build speakers. Generics don't do the job. (This is not to be confused with the ability to assemble kits, which does not require design knowledge).

Not all speakers can be matched together. When they can, it is the crossover that controls resistance, and matches sensitivity, an flattens out sound, and corrects for bafle steps am the like. You will need an understanding at minimum of cabinet volume and how that effects resonance, impediemce, etc. You should also understan how sound reflects within a cabinet.

Honestly, the best spot to start is probably with the subwoofer.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Of course! That is a perfect entry into the DIY world while saving all the extra money companies charge in a finished products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts