AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted earlier about a hd antenna i made..it didn't work out so i'm going to buy one...

hows this one:

http://www.swiftgamers.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0

i can use an outdoor antenna since i live in a house

i've read great things about this antenna..

i live in eastern part of toronto..is this antenna the best one i could buy for under $100..

thanks so much

·
Registered
3,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaven66 /forum/post/17042053

i posted earlier about a hd antenna i made..it didn't work out so i'm going to buy one...

hows this one:

http://www.swiftgamers.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0

i can use an outdoor antenna since i live in a house

i've read great things about this antenna..

i live in eastern part of toronto..is this antenna the best one i could buy for under $100..

thanks so much

The DB4 is a very good UHF antenna (out to around 40-55 miles depending on a variety of variables) and a fair high-VHF antenna for out to 15-25 miles, again, depending on variables.

It has a nice, wide beamwidth that makes it easy to aim and works well provided you aren't afflicted with significant multi-path.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Not a great choice since CFTO is supposed to be moving their digital broadcast to channel 9 at the end of the Canadian DTV transition in 2 years. I wouldn't characterize the DB4 as anything better than "poor" for VHF performance, though it's a good medium-range UHF antenna. Assuming you're within 30 miles of the CN Tower I'd go with the Winegard HD7694P.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Remember that an antenna will have vastly "weird" characteristics when used on a band or channel it's not designed for.

Many UHF antennas, for instance, have little gain in the forward direction ("on-axis") when looking at VHF channels, but have gain in sidelobes that may be off-axis by 60 to 80 degrees. And, it varies from channel to channel.

Also, things like front-to-back ratio and return-loss (which affects how the antenna matches to the coax....causing internal reflections) are affected greatly by off-channel use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses..winegard is better than the cm? i will need to research a little further

once i get an antenna set up i'm sure the hd experience will be great..i'm just conerned about the sports channels like tsn..i'm assuming that doesn't ever get picked up?

i'm a big sports guy so that would kind of suck but i could probably live with it

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Since you're in Toronto, check out the Toronto thread in the local HDTV reception forum here. The channel list in the first post is from 2005 and is probably out of date, but on the last couple of pages (the most recent ones) you'll find some reports of what people are getting with various antenna setups.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright so i'm about ready to buy an antenna, been checking through some forums..i guess a good way to describe how i'm feeling right now is confused

i'm willing to spend as much as $110 on a super antenna that will get me all those us stations like cbs hd, abc, nbc, fox buffalo..along with the main toronto stations: global, city, cfto, cbc...

the db4 i can get for $43 which is a pretty good deal..the winegard is a little more and i just don't know if its better in my case..i live in scarborough close to the town centre..anyone possibly for around my area here?

i know you guys on here are experts so i just need some confirmation and i'm buying..$43 is nothing to fuss over for the db4.. as long as it will get me the channels i mentioned thats good enough for me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh and i forgot to ask, any of the toronto guys..u guys happen to get any of the sports channels like tsn?

i understand that we're talking about picking up clear HD channels for free but not having any sports channels would kind of suck even though i could still live with it

thanks again fellas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm back..

well since i said i'm willing to spend as much as 100 bucks it only makes sense if i was to choose the db8 for $74 over the db4...i have no clue what i'm doing..so whats the best winegard antenna? i keep hearing both are better than eachother for some people..

where i live there are no buildings in sight and no obstruction other than the 30 foot trees around the area

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you're considering the DB8, you might prefer the ChannelMaster 4228-HD. It has better VHF-high (channels 7-13) performance than the DB8. It has no VHF-low (channels 2-6) performance. But any of the Winegard HD-769x antennas will have better VHF-high reception than the CM 4228.

Also, if you're wanting Buffalo stations as well, I think you'll need a rotor, since from your location the Toronto and Buffalo stations are about 90 degrees apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts