AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my computer will be three years old late this year and i don't have an hdmi connection on my pc. my 360 on the other hand, does. i need something that will reach about 8 or 9 feet. suggestions?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
I will say this though, you need an extremly high end PC to do motion HD video capture. I don't recommend you try and play your Xbox 360 using this card and previewing it on your PC. There is a tiny bit of lagjust enough to screw you up when you try to play

my pc is media center 2005 xp with service pack 2 3 gigs of ram and p4 processor...would this not be sufficient?

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/15547338

my pc is media center 2005 xp with service pack 2 3 gigs of ram and p4 processor...would this not be sufficient?

For real-time capture and encoding of HD video I would want nothing less than 4gigs of DD2RAM and a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo. How fast is your P4? Since you'll probably be capturing 720p 3gb of RAM should be sufficient, it's the single core processor that's probably not up to the task.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/15546636

my computer will be three years old late this year and i don't have an hdmi connection on my pc. my 360 on the other hand, does. i need something that will reach about 8 or 9 feet. suggestions?

It doesn't do HDMI but it's a much more reasonable $200:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

It has component loop thru. So, you connect HD component out of the 360 to the hdpvr and then HD component out of the hdpvr to your tv/monitor. It does realtime h.264 compression which greatly relieves the stress on the host computer. The hdpvr connects to the computer via USB cable and records the h.264 compressed video to hard drive.

And before anyone asks, for the ten bazillionth time, you cannot do HDMI and component/composite/svideo/scart/vga or any other type of video at the same time. The only 2 video outs that you can get to work simultaneously, are standard def component and composite.

P.J.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
A couple things?

Why do you need to capture xbox 360 in HD? or does this have something to do with movies?

and 2nd if his pc is 3 years old it may not have a PCI-E slot for the first card.

If you simply need a cable that will reach your media PC such as X cable check out
http://monoprice.com

·
Registered
578 Posts
Actually, re-reading the original question, I think what you're trying to do, is to take HDMI output from the 360 and somehow connect that to your PC. Even if your PC had an HDMI connection, it is would be an output and not an input. Other than the blackmagic card, there isn't any way to do that and even with the blackmagic card, you can't view video on the PC from the 360 close enough to real time, to be able to play well. If you follow the links about the blackmagic card, you'll find numbers like 900 megabytes of storage for 10 seconds of video.

So really, the only viable option here is to use HD component and capture using the Hauppauge HDPVR box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts