AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I want to give this projector a shot I need a 3D bluray player and some DLP-LINK glasses right?

Any links to available for purchase glasses that will work with this projector, post them up please.

It is my understanding that the glasses that come with emitters will NOT work correct?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
So how are you going to get the HD66 to work with a Blu-ray 3D player? It's my understanding this projector is intended to connect to a PC that can provide a 120Hz output with alternating right and left images (i.e., works for 3D video games and computer graphics with the appropriate video card). However, this is not a mode required for any of the Blu-ray 3D players nor is it one of the "mandatory" 3D modes under the HDMI 1.4a spec. For DLP rear projection HDTVs, Mits will be selling a adapter box that will take the standard Blu-ray 3D player output and convert it to the 1080p checkboard pattern that is required by the DLP wobulated RPTVs, but this is not a signal format appropriate for the 720p DLP front projectors. Have you heard of any announced Blu-ray 3D player or external video processor that it fact will support the required signal format to be compatible with the HD66?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since sellers of 3D blu-ray players want thieir boxes usefull to the broadest posssible audience untill we see the user's manual for one to know what output options they have in addition to Full 3D using packed format and to 2D output of 3D BR disks the playea may also provide side by side output and checkerboard output options for 3D BR disks.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/18300368

So how are you going to get the HD66 to work with a Blu-ray 3D player? It's my understanding this projector is intended to connect to a PC that can provide a 120Hz output with alternating right and left images (i.e., works for 3D video games and computer graphics with the appropriate video card). However, this is not a mode required for any of the Blu-ray 3D players nor is it one of the "mandatory" 3D modes under the HDMI 1.4a spec. For DLP rear projection HDTVs, Mits will be selling a adapter box that will take the standard Blu-ray 3D player output and convert it to the 1080p checkboard pattern that is required by the DLP wobulated RPTVs, but this is not a signal format appropriate for the 720p DLP front projectors. Have you heard of any announced Blu-ray 3D player or external video processor that it fact will support the required signal format to be compatible with the HD66?

Hmmm.. A simple answer to my first question then?

I thought for sure this projector was billed as one that would work with the Bluray players.

I guess I can scratch this one off the list then?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/18300368

So where are the posts stating this projector is NOT compatible with 3D Bluray players? I am finding posts on the net stating otherwise.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18302027

So where are the posts stating this projector is NOT compatible with 3D Bluray players? I am finding posts on the net stating otherwise.

The 3D BD player is going to output a frame packed 1920x2205 frame that is designed for the frame sequential 3D format.

How are you going to :

1. Unpack the 1920x2205 frame?

2. Downscale the (2) 1920x1080 L & R frames to the resolution of the PJ?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Standard blu-ray disks containg either 1080i/60 or 1080p/24 files can certainly contain 3D capable files that could be use with the DLP link capable PJs or TVs. That does not man that the DLP link capable PJs have HDMI 1.4 chips and can accept any display Full 3D Blu-ray content from one of the just released new players.

http://www.bitcauldron.com/BC3000_Brief_110409.pdf

·
Registered
415 Posts
There is some justifiable confusion surrounding 3D since there is more than one standard. Even though HDMI has a relatively new standard, there is another system that's being pushed by nVidia called 3DVision which does include full 120Hz to your display. There are a number of DLP projectors that will work with this system right now. Once Blu-ray software players for PCs are released it's expected that they will work with this system.

Lee, #3 on you list only applies to DLP TVs, not projectors.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the real issue with this projector is that the sources will not be able to send 3D at 720p / 120hz to it?

I was reading on the projector and the format doesn't seem to be checkerboard as they say with this projector? Or is it?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18302589

So the real issue with this projector is that the sources will not be able to send 3D at 720p / 120hz to it?

I was reading on the projector and the format doesn't seem to be checkerboard as they say with this projector? Or is it?

It's my understanding that the checkboard pattern only applies to the Samsung and Mits 1080p 3D ready DLP rear projection TVs and a few Samsung 3D ready LCD models while all of the recently introduced DLP front projectors use for their input alternating right/left frames at 120Hz total rate. This latter format worked with CRT displays via VGA starting about decade ago for 3D games using Nvidia graphic cards and LCD shutter glasses and also works with some current LCD computer monitors being sold as supporting 3D. This format is compatible with some Nvidia and ATI video cards in PCs but is not a required format for Blu-ray but this does not preclude some manufacturer building a player that could do it. However, I certainly wouldn't spend money on such a front projector on the hope that someday some manufacturer might make such a BD player. Even this ignores that it is also not be compatible with the half resolution side-by-side format that Directv and some cable operators will be using for 3D.,

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke /forum/post/18302667

Checkerboard only applies to diamond pixel DLP chips. These are only used in rear projection TVs. For projectors, DLP displays full frames at 120Hz. Some are only compatible with 1024x768 or [email protected], others can go up to [email protected]

[email protected] is not one of the mandatory formats of HDMI 1.4a. So it's questionable whether the upcoming Blu-ray players will support it.
"Full frames at 120Hz." Is that the Frame Sequential/Page Flip 3D format? Full HD per eye?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that one of the HD66 owners on here hasn't already purchased either the Panasonic or Samsung 3D Blu Ray player, just to see if they could somehow get it to work with their HD66. Obviously, it would be very doubtful that it would work , but you never know, and if they bought it from someplace that doesn't have a restocking fee or anything like that, why not buy it, and see if you can somehow get the thing to work. If you can't get it to work, then return it. Or at least go to someplace that has these and try to read the owners manual to see the different methods of 3D it can output.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18303752

I'm a bit surprised that one of the HD66 owners on here hasn't already purchased either the Panasonic or Samsung 3D Blu Ray player, just to see if they could somehow get it to work with their HD66. Obviously, it would be very doubtful that it would work , but you never know, and if they bought it from someplace that doesn't have a restocking fee or anything like that, why not buy it, and see if you can somehow get the thing to work. If you can't get it to work, then return it. Or at least go to someplace that has these and try to read the owners manual to see the different methods of 3D it can output.

It is the purpose of this thread.... I want to. I mean, I am willing to pick up the player and projector and give it a whirl, but I can't figure out any glasses to purchase. They need to be DLP-LINK. Seems there are none currently available at all.

Hard to believe on the BD player you can't just select the 3D version on the disk and 720p resolution and then be there with this projector. But you never know.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts