AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a newer ReplayTv, something that can connect via broadband, so one of the 5xxx models. I upgraded my Showstopper to 160 hours a while back, will it be a problem just swapping the 160 hour hardrive (with all my movies and searches, etc.) into the new unit? For instance, will the OS simply upgrade once I get it setup, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grubgoat
For instance, will the OS simply upgrade once I get it setup, etc.?
No. Software from prior models will not work on a 5xxx--don't even try it as you could royally hose your 5xxx. You will have to reformat the drive and put a 5xxx image on it. You will lose all your shows. (You can, however, extract them from the 3xxx drive with extract_rtv and keep them on your PC if you wish).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, that doesn't sound promising. What are some keywords to use, to look into the things you mention? The extract stuff...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't sound promising. What are some keywords to use, to look into the things you mention? The extract stuff...
RTV_EXTRACT is the name of the program, I think. IT works great. You hook your 160gb up to you PC, run the program, and it lets you extract all the files from the showstopper.

You might even be able to import them into DVArchive. IF so, then you could watch them on your TV using your 5xxx streaming over your home network.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help... If I do this (or lets just say I forget about all my stuff on the SS), format the harddrive, could I THEN pop it into the 5040 I just bought? I reread the original reply, how do I image it, is this covered somewhere?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your help... If I do this (or lets just say I forget about all my stuff on the SS), format the harddrive, could I THEN pop it into the 5040 I just bought? I reread the original reply, how do I image it, is this covered somewhere?
Yes, you could. You will need to image the 160GB drive with a 5xxx image. You have two options fo that. Option #1: you could hook both the original 5xxx drive AND the new 160GB drive and use RTVPatch to image from the original to the new drive. Option #2 (easier): you can download a 5xxx image from one of the sites listed here: http://www.replayfaqs.com (on the right towards the bottom). Using RTVPatch, you would image the 160GB drive with the image you downloaded.

Complete instructions/tutorials can be found at the RTVPatch site ( http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/index.html ) and the FAQ site I mentioned above.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before I delete this thread, what exactly is required for a Broadband connection with a 5040? A router, or another modem?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One bump for the last question about 5040 broadband hookup - I don't know where to look. Is this something that will be explained in the manual? I will NOT have this hooked up to my computer, at least no initially.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You would want to get a router so that you could share your Cable/DSL connection among your PC, ReplayTV, etc.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
Re: Extract_RTV

You might even be able to import them into DVArchive. IF so, then you could watch them on your TV using your 5xxx streaming over your home network.
As extracted from your ShowStopper, you may be able to import the files into DVArchive, but they will NOT play on your 5xxx series unit.

However, you may be able to run them through RTVConvert before importing them into DVA to make them 5xxx compatible. But without some intervention, they will not play on the 5xxx.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.