AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,please help me on this..
I want to record one channel while watching another.
I searched on the internet and now I know that there are DVD recorders with twin tuners, TVs with twin tuners etc.
there are TVs with twin tuners and you can record one channel while watching another on a HDD that connects to TV's USB port, right?
So, if I want to record one channel while watching another, is it all right that I buy a TV with twin tuner?; I don't want an external DVD or HDD recorder?
However when I searched on the internet about TVs with twin tuners, it wasn't much helpful.
So, can I record one channel while watching another with a TV that has only a twin tuner and an USB port?
What are the TVs that I can do this?
Please give me a detailed answer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi,please help me on this..
I want to record one channel while watching another.
I searched on the internet and now I know that there are DVD recorders with twin tuners, TVs with twin tuners etc.
there are TVs with twin tuners and you can record one channel while watching another on a HDD that connects to TV's USB port, right?
So, if I want to record one channel while watching another, is it all right that I buy a TV with twin tuner?; I don't want an external DVD or HDD recorder?
However when I searched on the internet about TVs with twin tuners, it wasn't much helpful.
So, can I record one channel while watching another with a TV that has only a twin tuner and an USB port?
What are the TVs that I can do this?
Please give me a detailed answer.
I've never heard of a TV that records. For that you need a DVR/PVR.

The USB port on some TV's can be used for Playing pre-recorded media, like photos, music, and movies from an external HD. But afaik no TV has the ability to Record this media directly. A common way to get the media files onto the HDD is to copy them on first using a PC before plugging it into the TV.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
What country are you in? In N. America we don't currently have TVs with twin tuners or DVRs. Europe or other PAL countries may have a few models but not here where most AVS people reside.
If your in the US then a dual tuner DVR is your best bet. Hook it to your TV with a single HDMI cable and you can record 1 channel while watching another or even record 2 different programs while watching a third. DVRs commonly have 2,4,6 up to 8 tuners I believe and all can be doing different things at the same time.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
What country are you in?
+1 on that.

Add to that, what is your content source? i.e. OTA, satellite, some other service, etc.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never heard of a TV that records. For that you need a DVR/PVR.

The USB port on some TV's can be used for Playing pre-recorded media, like photos, music, and movies from an external HD. But afaik no TV has the ability to Record this media directly. A common way to get the media files onto the HDD is to copy them on first using a PC before plugging it into the TV.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1360576698

http://www.teac.com.au/television/p...ition-twin-tuner-ledlcd-tv-with-usb-recording

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I think Japan may have some similar products, as I recall reading about their TVs that can record broadcasts directly to BD-R with a built-in Blu-ray burner. Content owners have fought heavily to ensure that no such products are available in the US, though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts