AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a pair of JBL L890 front speakers and a SVS PB-1000 subwoofer. I would like to replace the front speakers. My budget is $2000 (pair) but I can stretch as far as $2500. My receiver is Yamaha Aventage A2010.

Requirements:

(1) 65% Asian TV dramas and animes (mostly conversation), so I want the speakers to reproduce human voices as naturally as possible. 25% music and 10% blu-ray movies.

(2) The sound should be neutral, without shrill highs or boomy bass.

(3) Preferably comes with 8 inch woofers.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
That sounds like the Monitor Audio Silver Series 2 speakers.

They are excellent speakers, have 8" drivers, and are rated to go down to around 40 Hz.

They go for around $1200, I think.

You will be blown away by the improvement compared to the JBL speakers; about 3 quantum leaps ahead in sound quality!

You might also want to get the Monitor Audio Bronze BX center speaker?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522792/i-want-to-upgrade-from-jbl-l890-any-recommendations#post_24489177

That sounds like the Monitor Audio Silver Series 2 speakers.

They are excellent speakers, have 8" drivers, and are rated to go down to around 40 Hz.

They go for around $1200, I think.

You will be blown away by the improvement compared to the JBL speakers; about 3 quantum leaps ahead in sound quality!

You might also want to get the Monitor Audio Bronze BX center speaker?

I like M.A. speakers. But I cannot agree with this statement...at all. The L890's are fine speakers...very neutral and measure well. I have been a long time (4 decades) owner of JBL speakers and know well the L890's. The M.A. Silver series, to my ears, comes very close to the quality of the L890's. They were neither superior nor inferior in my auditions. In fact, I've said on several occasions that the Silver series presentation is the closest to the JBL L series of any other speakers I've heard.

OP, you need to get out and audition and decide for yourself. But IMO, if you truly want a great upgrade, one that's only slightly outside your budget, get a pair of Philharmonic Audio Phil 3's. It's an awesome speaker, designed and built by some of the best in the business...Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy. Here is a link to the Phil website. http://philharmonicaudio.com/index.html

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
$800 outside his max is a big stretch...

Those Monitor Audio Silver speakers are great, but I agree they are probably a slight upgrade at best. You could take a look at the new Ascend Sierra-2 bookshelves, they look like a nice upgrade over the Sierra-1 and should be a great speaker. Also as was mentioned above, if dialog is important to you, I would highly recommend adding a center. You could perhaps even just add a matching JBL to your current setup and this will be the best way to improve dialogue.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1522792/i-want-to-upgrade-from-jbl-l890-any-recommendations#post_24492511

$800 outside his max is a big stretch...

Those Monitor Audio Silver speakers are great, but I agree they are probably a slight upgrade at best. You could take a look at the new Ascend Sierra-2 bookshelves, they look like a nice upgrade over the Sierra-1 and should be a great speaker. Also as was mentioned above, if dialog is important to you, I would highly recommend adding a center. You could perhaps even just add a matching JBL to your current setup and this will be the best way to improve dialogue.

Perhaps it is a stretch. The Phil Slims are only 200 bucks outside his budget and would be a huge improvement over the JBL's. It's nearly universally conceded....there is no better tweeter in the world than the RAAL.

And I agree with your comment...a center might provide what the OP is looking for. The LC2 or EC35 are fine speakers that present excellent, clear dialogue without any chesty-ness or sibilance and will timbre match the L890's nicely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts