AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ISF fully calibrated and tweaked 36" Sony 36-HS510 Direct View HDTV with matching stand. I am wanting to get a new TV, but what can I do with this set? What are good options to sell such a large and incredibly heavy device and not lose a ton of money?

I don't have any friends with that kind of money. I would like to get a fair price but I also want to sell rather quickly (at least in the next month or two at most).

What can I do? What do you guys do when you need to do this?

The reason I don't want to keep it is because it doesn't have a built in hdtv decoder or cable card. It also has the stand which kind of rules out putting it in the bedroom (where it would be too big anyhow). And besides, we really like our current bedroom TV's and don't want to switch.

This set looks really great but I want a built in tuner and cable card and to get the new improvements with higher resolution etc that the 955 offers.

Thanks for any help!

·
Banned
45 Posts
Laundromats, Supermarkets for they all have message boards and cards to describe what you want to sell, don't forget to add your phone number and asking price to give prospective buyers a price range, OTOH you can save phone calls to you asking for details if above advice is followed. Good luck selling your HDTV :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I bought my 36" Sony HDTV-ready TV (KV-36XBR400) from a local seller via ebay. He demoed the unit before I bid and he delivered it to my house for a nominal gas charge. Ebay can also give you a feel for the going market price.

In addition to the other suggestions above you might want to try craigslist.org. It a massive online classifieds site with local sections for most larger US cities.

Good Luck!

Bob

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
EBay has resurrected their local sale/search ability which is a good way to advertise and sell it locally so you don't have to ship it. This way people can come and see it for themselves and arrange to pick it up from your house.

Get the license plate number of the car they use in case any sort of fraud pops up after the sale . . . .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Shpankey, what these guys are saying is true. All I would do is price the set competitively. If the set is ISF'd it should be worth more money, however, keep in mind that the average Joe wouldn't know what a professional calibration is, and wouldn't care. I know because I sold my 32XBR400 that was ISF'd a few years back, and couldn't get any extra dough for it. Also, if you post the set on any message board, etc., make sure you include a good picture of the set, as it increases the chances of the set being sold. Most people would like to see what's for sale. Also post the full specs of the set, and your impressions of the HDTV images on the set. These tactics have worked wonders for me in the past, which is why I think they may work well for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some A/V shops will let you post a flyer on a bulletin board. But ask first, some stores would shoot you if you tried this. If your flyer is not directly related to what you are selling, your chances are better.. so a TV flyer in a stereo store might be a good pairing. Are there any A/V user or hobby clubs in your area? An A/V store might take your set on consignment, but you will get more money if you sell it privately.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy384
www.craigslist.org
There is no Craigslist in Oklahoma . . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.