AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Friday night, lowering one of my BG801s with a come-along to the floor so that I can demo the unit in the garage where I have light control (I keep this unit next to my BG808s on the loft in the sunroom to use as a backup.) I have used come-alongs for about 15yrs. and never had any problems until now. I was slowly lowering the unit, all of the sudden the come-along let go, dropped the unit about a foot, sheared off the metal bracket on the unit and then dropped the unit about five feet to the ground. For those of you who know how the come-along works, I must have pushed the handle to far and disengaged the locking lever, swift move huh? The projector dropped, I released the handle, and the locking lever engaged, that sudden stop is what ripped the bottom mounting bracket. All I could say is "WOW", my wife said "Was that the projector?" I wanted to cry. I was just happy that no one was hurt. This was a unit that I got from Curt, and really projected a great image. Or should I say was in good shape. It was a said night. I removed the cover and all of the card frame area was tweaked/bent, but the tubes did not break. I reseated the cards and fired the unit up, it worked for about 30 sec. and then shut down. I was surprised that it worked at all. I have parted this unit out and will be giving the parts to the buyer of the other two BG801s I had (who I told the whole story and showed him the damaged unit.)

Like I said, glad no one was hurt, it could have been ugly.

Just wanted to share the pain.

I hope this never happens to you.

Kinda makes the digital look good, did I really say that? I should say makes the digital size and lbs. look attractive.

Robert van der Veer

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ohhh... there's a distinctive sound when two cars collide... a dead crunching thud... I hope that the sound that your projector made is never logged into my memory.

Sorry for you loss!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Reminds me of the sound my sailboat made whenever I ran it into someone I was racing against...

ah, the sounds of fibreglass splitting apart as I ram into someone... quite by accident of course! :D

heh, at least a fibreglass patch is cheaper than a new Barco...

Sorry about the loss on the projector.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Man, this is the second post I read about a come along droppign a projector.

I dont think they are too reliable for this type of work.

SORRY I know the 808's are mega heavy I can almost hear that crunch in my head. I better go have a look at my 1031 and see if its ok :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I dropped my 1031Q from about 2 inches onto a metal table. That made a huge thud. That was kind of scary. I can only begin to imagine what your Barco sounded like hitting the floor. Sorry to hear. CRTs are rugged, but not that rugged. Good that no one was hurt. It could have been much worse.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Robert,

Sorry to hear about the accident with the PJ. I was feeling almost sick reading the post. I am glad that no one was injured, but it is still a loss. I always bite my nails during a lift with my barco 808 (I use a system of pulleys and aircraft cable for the lift, and there is always a remote chance of a bind or catastrophic failure of the cable during the lift. It is a hazard).

Darrin

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, that really, really sucks...at least it was not damaged so badly so that you couldn't part it out. BTW, what is a "come along" ? Sounds like some wierd sex toy. :D

-Audiophil

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looks like a weird sex toy too!

·
Registered
53 Posts
first rule - "don't forget to duck!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.