AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2003 I purchased a first generation Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer from a local boutique store. I paid $750 for it and aside from one annoying aspect* it worked for me for several years.

* When come on from standby an annoying !pop! would present itself. Paradigm claimed in an email response to me that this was normal and no need to look any further.

Accepting Paradigm's official response, I continued to use the PW-2200 until about a year or two ago when the !pop! became a consistent !popping! to the point I could not use it.

While subtle woofer signal response continued to work without problem, and impacting (moderate or above) would immediately lead into an unusable condition. I event tried with a different LFE source (moved from Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX to Denon AVR-3311CI) with the same results.

Since Atlanta seems like a wasteland for Paradigm dealerships (at least that stock product), even considering a full MSRP purchase of something like the DSP-3400 is out of the question. And no local technical expertise makes it worth spending $300-500 to repair the broken PW-2200.

As such, I am open for suggestions for a replacement. Room is approximately 2700 cubic-feet, sealed, and the budget is about US$1,000. Application is home theater--not music. Time frame for purchase is yesterday (I have no LFE god-dangit!) and wonder about companies like Hsu, eD, etc. as I have no way of auditioning them.

The Atlanta area boutiques all want to offer subwoofers in the $2K and above range (usually >>$2K), and the retailers all want to sell those disposable $300-400 subs. Ideas, suggestions, or recommendations? It would be nice hearing from other previous PW-2200 owners that moved on to something similar or better in this budget.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The just released, brand new Hsu VTF 15H, will take you to a performance level, in dynamics and articulation, you will be dumbfounded by-black satin finish is close to $900-check out their website

·
Registered
190 Posts
Definately check out the Vtf-15H,it just came out and is right around your price range. It is a ported design so for your home theater use it would be nice. From what i have read and gathered people are really enjoying the output of this thing and if you ever decide you wanna listen to music you can plug the ports for music listening (although i think people are saying it is no slouch with ports open for music also). I would check this out and put this into consideration.

Aslo check out the Epik Empire which after shipping cost may be a few dollars oer not sure about the shipping prices. It is definately proven over time to be a great sub. There is lots and lots of companies to choose from so enoy browsing around and have fun!

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a previous owner of the PW2200 with a similar sized sealed room I am familiar with the type of bass you've had. Any of the above suggestions will outperform the PW. I myself have picked up the dual CS18.1s from ChaseHT which has put me into a different realm of bass. You may consider just one though and find that to be more than satisfactory. Good luck with your decision.
http://www.chasehometheater.com/inde...art&Itemid=103

1 - 5 of 5 Posts