AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plamsa shopping is pretty limited where I live, in fact there is only one retail chain store located within a 45 minute drive, so thats where I went. Its R* for those who are curious.

After looking a several different 42" HD plasmas, I settled in for a long look at three models, the Panasonic TH-42PX50U, a Pioneer (I did not like the look of the frame so I ruled it out and did not write down the model number), and a Hitachi 42HDF52.

Of the 3, the Hitachi had the best external appearance with an all black frame, the Pioneer was the worst as I said above, and the Panasonic was in the middle.

As for picture quality, I would say overall that the Panasonic was slightly better than the Pioneer and noticeably better than the Hitachi. With respect to sharpness the Hitachi was weak. Every image on this set was noticeably less sharp than on the Panasonic and Pioneer even with my adjusting the set in various ways for several minutes.

With respect to color, the Panasonic had much more realistic fleshtones than the Pioneer. With respect to other colors they seemed pretty equal to me.

This is the fourth time I've been out looking at Plasmas and I've pretty much decided to get a Panasonic. No matter where I've looked at them they seem to have the best picture.

According to the sales rep where I was shopping R* offers a second year of on-site warranty for $10, which I thought was a good deal. Unfortunately, when I compare their price to an on-line merchant such as TV Authority (one of the sponsors of this site) they are crushed by an unbelieveable amount.

So, I have a couple of questions that I'm pondering.

One, does anyone here have any experience with TV Authority?

Two, does TV Authority offer a special discount for AVS members? I think I read somewhere that they do but I can't seem to find it.

I'm ready to take the Plasma Plunge now, I have DTV coming Monday afternoon to install my HD Tivo.

Thanks for any help;

T R Johns

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was dealing with TV Authority but was turned off with the way they were handling my sale so I purchased from Visual Apex. Great experience so far and very nice and helpful reps. Haven't received it yet so I'll reserve final judgement on my purchase from them.

Many people here have had great experiences with TVAuthority and Visual Apex.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased a Panny 50PX500U from TV Authority (Camryn) last month and was pleased with the price, the plasma, and overall buying experience. There was a snafu with the shipper losing the paperwork but it was rectified by air freighting with overnight delivery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know you were asking about TV Authority (whom I've never dealt with, so can't comment), but I purchased from Visual Apex more than 1 year ago, and was blown away by their customer service. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I would never hesitate to purchase from them again.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well rather than get all heated up about this or that vendor, why Don't you print out pricing from TV authority and Visual Apex etc and take it to your place wherever you are- tell them you'd like to purchase from them and don't mind paying the sales tax for the comfort of home but you'd like a comparable price--see what happens. It's free to try.

BTW- I think all three of those brands of plasmas are pretty good myself. I do find more QA ( quality assurance) problems reported with Pioneer than the other two however. This is just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.