AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sci-Fi- this really sucks. I look at my Netflix genre que and realized going through the top 50+++ sci-fi DVDs. I had seen them all (other than Cloverfield). I have watched too many sci-fi movies. So I guess I will have to go to foreign Sci-fi.

Any recommendations-- hopefully Netflix will have them or I will go over to blockbuster.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/14166373

Sci-Fi- this really sucks. I look at my Netflix genre que and realized going through the top 50+++ sci-fi DVDs. I had seen them all (other than Cloverfield). I have watched too many sci-fi movies. So I guess I will have to go to foreign Sci-fi.

Any recommendations-- hopefully Netflix will have them or I will go over to blockbuster.

You mean films not originally in English?

I liked Matango . It's from a story by William Hope Hodgson.

And the French short La Jetée must be seen. The idea was later reworked into "12 Monkeys".

I found the original "Solaris" to be a bit of a chore, although it has what looks like "2001" jokes.

-Bill

·
Registered
19,230 Posts

Quote:

Most of the best serialized sci-fi these days comes out of Japan in the form of anime (and has been that way for the last decade). Don't let the form fool you, just because it's "animated" doesn't mean it's just for kids, far from it. Yes, some of it is, but some of the best stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Machine come straight out of Philip K. Dick. I could go on forever...

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/14167424

Most of the best serialized sci-fi these days comes out of Japan in the form of anime (and has been that way for the last decade). Don't let the form fool you, just because it's "animated" doesn't mean it's just for kids, far from it. Yes, some of it is, but some of the best stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Machine come straight out of Philip K. Dick. I could go on forever...

I have Cowboy Bebop and have enjoyed it, but after a while the Japanese-cute elements are irritating. Cute dog, cute hacker-kid, cute psycho-girl.

Can you recommend anime without those elements?

-Bill

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:

Here's a few to get you started (in no particular order):

Alphaville

On the Silver Globe

Accion Mutante

Avalon

Save the Green Planet

Sexmission

Casshern

Dark Portal

Resurrection of the Little Match Girl

Things to Come

Paprika

The Iron Giant (I know it's USA but many have not seen it).

Meatball Machine

Renaissance

District B-13

Perfect Creature

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of 'The War of the Worlds'

Saints-Martyrs-des-Damnés

Haven's Soldiers

The Juniper Tree

The Last Battle

The Quiet Earth

Delicatessen

Natural City

Tetsuo

The City of Lost Children

Until the End of the World (Director's Uncut version only - 280 min)

Hardware

MPD Psycho

Immortal

Akira

Cowboy Bebop

Undead

2009 - Lost Memories

Stalker

Moon Child

Appleseed

Returner

Andromedia

Open Your Eyes

Code 46

CJ 7

This next one is a US made movie but not many have seen it. If you only watch one movie out of this list watch this one (although you should watch them all)!

Cypher

Cypher went completely under just about everyones radar and that's too bad because it is one h*ll of a movie!!!

·
Registered
19,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/14167451

I have Cowboy Bebop and have enjoyed it, but after a while the Japanese-cute elements are irritating. Cute dog, cute hacker-kid, cute psycho-girl.

Can you recommend anime without those elements?

-Bill

I tend to shun the cutsey-pie elements myself, although at times in Japanese anime it's just unavoidable.

There are plenty of "hard" sci-fi anime series and movies with no cutsey elements to be found at all. I would suggest starting with the Ghost in the Shell movies and series as they are among the best. And then there's the older series like Macross, which is what the American Robotech is partly based off of (it can be found dirt cheap from time to time). Armored Troopers Votoms is realy good hard sci-fi with space battles and such, and as I mentioned before Bubblegum Crisis is pure Cyberpunk, straight out of Philip K. Dick.

So many series, so little time...

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
There's the Russian Nightwatch and Daywatch, though one might quibble that they are not really sci-fi.

Of course there are Fritz Lang's silents, Metropolis and Frau im Mond [The Woman in the Moon].

There's also the old English Transatlantic Tunnel, about the time of Things to Come, and Just Imagine. This is more in the line of fantasy, but it's a corker: The Man Who Could Work Miracles. And moving into the fifties, the charming Ealing comedy, The Man in the White Suit, a couple of Hammers, X the Unknown and [These Are] The Damned.

And of course the Quatermass series: The Quatermass Xperiment, Quatermass 2 [Enemy from Space] and Quatermass and the Pit [Five Million Years to Earth]. The last one is a great classic.

Alphaville was already mentioned, and Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451, though the New Wave sci-fi films probably will seem a bit tame today. They were a bit tame 40 years ago too. A French film that is anything but is Franju's nightmarish Les Yeux sans visage [Eyes Without a Face].

Tarkovsky's Solaris and Stalker will either put you to sleep or put you into a trance; I think Stalker is really something.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Here's a few sci-fi flicks that I've seen that I'd recommend, since you've already hit the top-shelf stuff it seems. Some are borderline good, some are borderline unknown, and some are borderline sci-fi...but they're all worth a watch in my opinion:

Sunshine

The Man From Earth

Deja Vu

The Fountain

Zathura

Stay

Code 46

Trekkies

Trekkies 2

Final Fantasy

Star Wars Clone Wars Animated Series (Vol 1 & 2)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks every, this is a great start,

And Yes, i have seen alot of the Japanese animes also......

BTW- i am receiving a HD DVD Player today(a media development co. had several and a neighbor is offering one to me) Kool!! so i'll see if i can find a few in HD too.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Check out Dark City if you haven't seen it already. I saw this a couple of nights ago and was blown away.This is a rare gem of a Sci-fi movie that not a lot of people have seen.. i don't want to give away anything by telling the plot.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
DARK CITY cirector's cut is very soon to be released.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S /forum/post/14172091

Check out Dark City if you haven't seen it already. I saw this a couple of nights ago and was blown away.This is a rare gem of a Sci-fi movie that not a lot of people have seen.. i don't want to give away anything by telling the plot.

Concur with Daman S, " Dark City " is an excellent film.

Here's a little Easter Egg hidden on the disc:

Select the New Line logo on the main screen and press enter for DVD credits.

Select "star highlights" in Kiefer Sutherland's filmography and press enter to get a clip from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. Do the same in William Hurt's filmography for a clip from Lost in Space.

There is a game in the disc. To solve it, go to the 'to shell beach...' menu and follow these steps:

1. You need to find a bloody knife on the first page of Kiefer Sutherland's biography, accessible from the cast and crew menu.

2, Go back to the special features menu and select "Neil Gaiman on Dark City." The doctor's card is hidden on the first screen of his comments.

3. Next we need a postcard. Enter "The Metropolis Comparison" from the special features menu, and pick the "Original Weekly Variety Review." Go to the last page to find it.

4. Now go back to the cast and crew menu. Select Trevor Jones on the second page. On the tenth screen of his biography, you will find the shell beach souvenir.

5. Go back to the cast and crew menu and select William Hurt for the clock, which can be found on the eighth screen of his biography.

6. Finally, go to 'set designs' and skip through them until you see the syringe (seventh picture_. Select it, then press 'Enter', and behold an interestingly, twisted animated sequence.

Make sure you go through the steps in the correct order without errors, or you will have to restart the game completely new by re-inserting the disc or turning the player on and off to see this special feature.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14172463

I hope they release it on Blu-ray.. the dvd version seemed to be very bare bones in terms of content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/14172635

Concur with Daman S, " Dark City " is an excellent film.

Here's a little Easter Egg hidden on the disc:

Wow, that's a lot of steps to go through! I still have the rental with me at home so ill check it out. Thanks for this.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14172463

Pre-order available now on Amazon.com " Dark City (Director's Cut)" - This title will be released on July 29, 2008.

" Dark City (Director's Cut)" Blu Ray also available for for pre-order on Amazon.com - $19.95, with free 2nd day air for Prime members.

This title will be released on July 29, 2008

I just placed my pre-order for the Blu Ray version.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Try something different - but equally good Sci Fiction.

http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_...ed_X_Minus_One

all free - 130 half hour shows. thats 48 hours of shows. 8 out of 10 are excellent - nearly all from the "God's" of science fiction - Hienlan/ Bradbury/ Simak/ and my personal favorite Sheckley.

- just TURN OFF THE TV FIRST! - then sit down and LISTEN to the show. It does require one to focus on the show and turn out off distractions.

- a lost capability for so many in this modern frantic society.

- enjoy the shows!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.