AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one Xtreamer when it came out 8 months ago. I like it enough to buy one more about 2 months later. All the while waiting for the promised DDTHD and DTSMA pass thru. The original promise of this feature, the continued advertising of this feature, the continued assurance of implentation of this feature, had been well publicized. I was going to buy a third and forth unit for my other bedrooms, but then as the delay of 7.1 pass thru continues, I finally decided to wait it out.


Well, they just announced that current models will NEVER support 7.1 pass thru because according to them "only a tiny fraction of customers" want it. And yet it will be supported in the "new models" - at a higher price point of course. Many of you would have said "I told you so", that I should not believe advertising claims until I see the final product. Well, at least I am only down 2 units instead of 4.

Let's just come out and say it. These guys didn't want to pay the license fee to support old units, because they already got their money from the these early adopters. WAY TO GO TO SCREW THE EARLY ADOPTERS who probably provided the necessary funding for you to come up with new products.


They "dangle" a 50 euro "discount" for current xtreamer users to upgrade. So let me get this straight. Not only will you not provide the feature to existing customers, you are going to make me pay more money to get the feature that you originally promised? Yeah, like I am going to hand over more money to these guys.


The right way to do it? Offer a FULL REFUND for anyone who wants to TRADE an existing Xtreamer for the Pro or the sidewinder version that supports 7.1 pass thru. Send us a prepaid shipping label to send the unit back to you, give us a refund of 99 euros, and then sell us the Pro or the sidewinder version at full price. Hey, if it's just a "tiny fraction of customers who wanted 7.1 pass thru" as you claim, then it shouldn't be that big of a financial burden on you guys right?


Xtreamer - WHY PAY THEM ANYTHING?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts
I do feel your pain. I sold off almost every player that I had purchased due to false promises. I lost about 30-40% on every player because the promised features never came. It sux that they took six months or so to come clean. I would charge back your CC and see it that helps. With the Admission by the manufacturer you have a good case for refund. After several players and several hundred dollars lost I am finally happy with the Dune Player. It worked out of the box with regards to Hidef Audio and I couldn't be happier. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Posting to very old topic, but anyway! just wan't to blow off some steam.


There is still "The HDMI has been configured to the 1.3a spec, allowing full support of HD Audio pass-through for DTS HD-HR, DTS HD-MA, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. The ports on the device have also been configured, with a USB port placed at the rear panel,next to the optical S/PDIF."

on old model...


And I got it just two days before new model come out.

Nice... Perhaps it has been notified in forums but ppl can't even go there before registering own Xtreamer.


And they are just banning everyone who say something about xtreamer and hd audio... arrrrrh


Well, maybe it's good christmas present for my 5yo cousin then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced0 /forum/post/18884472



And they are just banning everyone who say something about xtreamer and hd audio... arrrrrh

I won't buy an Xtreamer just because of the fact that the forum mods are control freaks that have a superiority complex and lock threads, delete posts and ban users because of the most ridiculous reasons. they absolutely do NOT want to foster a community based on the way the forum is run. and the fact the devs make promises they don't keep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK /forum/post/18884997


I won't buy an Xtreamer just because of the fact that the forum mods are control freaks that have a superiority complex and lock threads, delete posts and ban users because of the most ridiculous reasons. they absolutely do NOT want to foster a community based on the way the forum is run. and the fact the devs make promises they don't keep.

I will never buy an Xtreamer again because it was a piece of junk. I hated it when I owned it. Dumped on eBay for almost 1/2 of what I paid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
i agree... i almost bought a XTREAMER but canceled it...


too many users were saying bad things about it and the guys behind it....


XTREAMER = NEVER!!
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
39,244 Posts
I have been pleaed with my Xtreamer since I got it last year. I have no need for HD audio pass through since I only use my Xtreamer on the road and it is only connected by HDMI to TVs.

I have other media players for HD audio. For the price I paid for the Xtreamer last year($140) it was well worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
In the same boat. I have an Xtreamer that hasn't been turned on in a few months. No sense in trying to sell it. Would cost me more to sell it then keep it.


And yea it is entirely true about posts being deleted and accounts banned. Xtreamer must be asking themselves why are people buying Dune's at the price of 350 and 450? Because everything works, including the audio passthru that everyone wants.
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
39,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskro /forum/post/18889186


yeahh!!! the DUNE is the mother of ALL!!!!!

The Dunes were fine but I sold my two Dunes in favor of keeping my A200 and C200. I'm glad I did since I like the PCH products better. The DUnes were good too, but I liked the UI of the PCH products much better than the Dunes. Especially when creating access to the network storage locations. The way the Dunes did it just made no sense. I'm guessing they may have changed it by now though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2 Posts
@ Galun - i saw there presentation at ces this year and it was quite impressive was literally going to buy a unit. last time i purchased a device was in 07 from TVIX so i am due for a upgrade! but now reading about what you said about the product i am going to have to pass. also looking for a US based company easier to deal with RMA and tech support dealing with(TVIX >:0). off to the races to find a suitable unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjones /forum/post/18889989


@ Galun - i saw there presentation at ces this year and it was quite impressive was literally going to buy a unit. last time i purchased a device was in 07 from TVIX so i am due for a upgrade! but now reading about what you said about the product i am going to have to pass. also looking for a US based company easier to deal with RMA and tech support dealing with(TVIX >:0). off to the races to find a suitable unit.

Good to know! I was really just venting and ranting in my original post. I was already out the money for unfinished products anyways. But if people actually saw my post and stay away from this company, well that's just great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Yeah, xtreamer is user-unfriendly garbage, I've recommended AGAINST it quite often to friends and family.


Folks are starting to look at net-enabling their 'legacy' TVs to get rid of overpriced cable TV service, and they want to be able to watch not just streamed stuff like Hulu or Netflix, but also stuff they have locally on a UPnP or DLNA share. It is totally obnoxious that these mainstream companies don't support UPnP/DLNA properly (only a very few devices like the oldish LG bluray player and PS3 OTTOMH) but instead just pimp out a few network services.


Frankly, if I could be directed to a small STB that does at most component output (s-video is fine) and will stream the usual codecs and containers wirelessly, for $99, and that doesn't have an interface designed by a dyslexic Chinese prison laborer, I would be exceedingly grateful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe /forum/post/18889141


In the same boat. I have an Xtreamer that hasn't been turned on in a few months. No sense in trying to sell it. Would cost me more to sell it then keep it.

Wow, that must make these devices worth only about $25-$30 then.
Good to know.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
60 Posts
There seems to be quite a few media player companies promising this and that... then later find out it will be available on the newer/next model even though they claim the current model might support it to create hype to sell it...


I rather just get one that does what I need right now - all future feature stuff in firmware updates is just icing on the cake... and me being a tech guy - I can tell from the hardware if the media player will ever be able to incorporate all those things...


but thanks for the info... I've read enough funny stuff to stay away from xtreamer - even though I too was WOW at CES...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvZ4roadster /forum/post/18954568


There seems to be quite a few media player companies promising this and that... then later find out it will be available on the newer/next model even though they claim the current model might support it to create hype to sell it...

Synology seems to position themselves as more of a NAS product, but from what I can tell they tend to deliver on their promises.
Quote:
I [sic] rather just get one that does what I need right now

Such as?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top