AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't I also write it off as a charitable contribution? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

How's this for the ad's "headline":

Your right to tape television tomorrow was taken away yesterday.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I wouldn't contribute a single penny to a scheme like this...and I recommend that others do the same.

Today...08/30/01 this whole DVI/HDCP has become a "tempest in a teacup." There is so much speculation as to what MAY happen as opposed to what is happening...and what is happening is NOTHING.

People like Gary Merson have made many aware of what manufacturers and program providers are thinking of doing. Much of this bugaboo is a fallout from the Napster fiascio where the MPAA is substituting its product for the RIAA's.

Keep in mind that this is 2001...the time of "let's sue for $10,000,000, $100,000,000...hell even a $1,000,000,000."

By the time DVI/HDCP becomes a reality, there will be AT LEAST 3,000,000 HD TV owners. Do you honestly believe that a company/organization/whathaveyou is not going to look at the legal ramifications of pissing off that many people...people who spent thousands of dollars each? We are not talking about a $5 throw away item.

You want to put your hard earned money to good use...write your FCC officials and Congressman. A lot more effort but hardly any money...just a 34 cent stamp.

The FCC approved the ATSC format (all 18 of them) and in that approval there is nothing about DVI/HDCP or 1394/5C or even copy protection of any kind.

The last thing you want to do is give a lawyer $100,000 to "go get them."

Lee

·
Registered
651 Posts
financing a legal campaign to sue and get injuction against first device and manufacturer of said device, with DVI/HDCP output, that will render my multi-thou$and HDTV RPTV limited in its ability to watch true HDTV content(this is what I bought it for).

Technically, we can NOT go after JVC's D'Ahlia, as it provides for DVI __input (and does have analog ones as well).

If a thousand of us get together (a stretch ... or is it ?), it will provide for $100K - pretty decent start

for a decent legal campaign.

A few bucks will register us as a non-profit organization ... how much is 1/2 page ad space in NY Times or Washington Post ? Something like this should get immediate attention of manufacturers ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
you know what....this sounds good. i'm in! i'll send a 100 bucks... provide that a lawyer is appointed and receipt is given.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.