AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will pay any Dish 6000 owner who still has the old software version to trade me his for mine (which has the new software). Mine is mint with original box.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Patrick, Why is this update so bad? They took care of the washed out colors on sd stuff. The channels change quickly now. What is it doing big fella?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very simple... I now have to change "stretch" modes every time I want to watch an HD channel. I always keep the receiver set to "Stretch" for normal viewing, and before this update, it would automatically switch to "Normal" mode when you changed it to an HD channel. It no longer does this, which is a step backwards. And they don't give you separate memories for SD and HD. And with no discrete IR codes, I can't do a reliable macro work-around.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I agree with you 100% Patrick. I do believe you have made too many posts about this subject (it is starting to get annoying) , but I also left the stretch mode on and do not like this feature(it is also annoying). I do like the scan.

baimo

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Give me a break! The other features and fixes of this upgrade (channel scan, better analog reception, support for 4:3 TV's, etc.) by far outweigh this one small annoyance. Get over it already!

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Give me a break! The other features and fixes of this upgrade (channel scan, better analog reception, support for 4:3 TV's, etc.) by far outweigh this one small annoyance. Get over it already!
Give ME a break! I don't have a 4:3 TV, and wouldn't use one for HD. And I have absolutely no use for channel scan nor better analog reception because I, like most people, cannot receive any OTA HD. By the time OTA HD makes it's way to Springfield, if ever, I'll have upgraded my system twice over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Deleted by the moderator.

This type of post violates AVS Forum rules. Members who do this risk being banished from participation.

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by computergeek:

Deleted by moderator.

[/b]
That is not fair. I also dont own a 4x3 set and this upgrade is a major annoyance. There is no reason why dish could not leave in the option to go to "normal view" for HDTV signals.

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the support, my AVS brothers. I don't know what I did to piss off computergeek. I think I might have found someone to trade with me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I guess I should have asked this before, but if I end up getting a brand new receiver (not yet activated) in trade, can I still get it set up without having the new software update automatically download? Can I get into the menu system and check "ask before downloading updates" without actually hooking it up to a dish?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty sure you can get into the menue without a Sat signal. I played with mine for days before I had the dishs up.

Problem will be what the dish does when you hit the "Install" button on the Dish 500 Setup. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

My guess is it will install the new software (That's kind of part of the install rutine). Also don't forget to call dish and give them your new Receiver addresses. Hehehe, going to be fun explaining to them what you did.

If dish added a "Dis-allow zoom in HDTV" option on the HDTV setup, then we could all be happy.

(Sigh) You can only hope.

Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick G:
I guess I should have asked this before, but if I end up getting a brand new receiver (not yet activated) in trade, can I still get it set up without having the new software update automatically download? Can I get into the menu system and check "ask before downloading updates" without actually hooking it up to a dish?
Patrick,

As I understand as to how the receiver work, I really don't see a way around getting the software update, the moment you turn the receiver on, the receiver will get updated, I thought you were speaking in a figurative way.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Patrick,

Whenever I have installed a new receiver, it has always powered up in the point dish screen. Then, after saying OK to that screen, it takes the initial download. I haven't tried to prevent that from happening, but I wouldn't gamble on trying to stop it.

I don't think will have any problem if you just change someone's used receiver to your account, assuming that they have "don't update without permission" checked.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick G:
can I still get it set up without having the new software update automatically download? Can I get into the menu system and check "ask before downloading updates" without actually hooking it up to a dish?

Just don't plug in the phone cord! The updates don't go through the dish.

-Glenn

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Uhhh.. You're kidding right, Glenn?

For the record, I agree with Ben. The 3 or 4 brand new 6000 installations I've done have always required an initial software download to function.

------------------

Dan

Knowledge without experience is only information...

[This message has been edited by DP1 (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think Dish could fix this easily, because the function already exists! If any of you are at Los Angeles and getting the KTLA OTA (WB ch 5-01) digital channel, you should see that whenever switching to 5-01, the mode will automatically change from "Partial Zoom" to "Normal"! Since KTLA-DT always broadcasts in 16:9 format, this function is great! Oh and when you change to a different channel, it will switch back to "Partial Zoom". The only thing is that it doesn't change mode if it is in "Gray Bars" mode. I don't know why.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
All Dish software comes in via the dish. The phone cord is for uploading purchases and verifying location.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
re: phone cord, ok guess I was wrong. But if this guy has a new receiver it probably has the new software.

I don't see the big deal. Dish only has 2 HD channels and most of the time there is nothing new on. So you tune in for a minute with the picture stretched, realize you already saw that movie or you don't like the program, then change back to something else. On the rare occasion that you want to watch, you push that little * button....big deal.

Geez, how many times a day do you change to the HD channels anyway?

-Glenn

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When buying the Dish 6000 receiver brand new, does it come with software on it, or do you have to download the software? Hypothetically, if I were to buy a new 6000 (and then sell my old one), would it most likely come installed with the old software, thus allowing me to block any downloads and continue using the old software? Or do ALL new receivers download their software once powered up, thus preventing me from buying ANY new 6000.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.