AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was one of the early DVD recorders to come out. Date I believe was mid to late 2000 or early 2001. It marketed everything from I-link for your camera input, faroudja chip playback, and easy everything that reminds one of Sony's EZ Betas in the early 1981-82. It was a great fantastic try or first stab ahead of Panny at the time I believe or at least contemporaneously. And it did have damn good playback and resolution recording in a BIG FAT BOX that dissipated heat rapidly and well. No I am not talking about your ex- girlfriend. They started manufacturing these in Belgium- since Philips HQ is close by. At the end of 2002 they switched dramatically to Hungary. I would think for either labor costs or the fact that there was a horrible backlash on the failures of the burners , firmware etc. and maybe the facility in Hungary was cheaper to change optics. Philips is mum so far To be continued . Feel free to help me write this book. We must have history. I bought a 2nd generation 985A41 - the last manufactured March 2003 in July 2003 for $344 boxed with ostensibly the new optics and better. I bought it as a lark because I could afford to unlike a lot of people who spent $800. For those people Philips should be refunding money and they have by giving them new models in selected cases. No problems yet with my supposedly new generation hungary unit( except when using the timer to program for the first time on a +RW disc it errored. But if you just push record its great.:) The 2002 Belgium models worked great for 11 months and then 45 % started to fail. The 985 retailed for $900 in 2001 and 2002 and most sold for between $800- 850. We know one certainty. No more 985's are being built by Philips replaced by the Philips 75 and 80. The saga continues.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Philips 985 actually came out in spring of 2002, about 6 months after Panasonic DMR-E20, which was a second generation recorder. First generation Panasonic DMR-E10 came out in 2001. I had 985 and this thing had so many bugs that I got rid of it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Although I only spent a few years as a Philips employee, my father (now retired) was a 35-year veteran in the Consumer Electronics Division of Philips. Growing up, I was exposed to virtually every dud and chronic lemon product they ever produced-and there were many.

Philips kept large warehouses filled with returned products that simply couldn't be repaired or never really worked properly from the start. When fretting over another disasterous product, the head of the Philips service division used to say: "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that more of these things have been returned than what we actually manufactured!".

Front-line service personel were all trained to tell complaining customers: "That's the first time we've heard of such a problem..."

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So CKNA- Are you saying that Panasonic was the first DVDR and came out a year and a half before Philips?- I could have sworn there were 985s in 2001, but maybe you are right- Good history- Thanks

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow- Jeff Wild that is great history. I sometimes wonder whether the USA and Canada get the same products- probably do. I remember during the VHS-Beta wars of the 70s and 80s there were sometimes differences. Usually the imported products matched though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.