AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to use my McIntosh MA6600 for 2-channel listening AND to drive the drive the same L/R front speakers in a 5.1 system. My particular Mac does NOT have a Home Theater Pass Through.

Can I do the following?

Acquire a quality Source Splitter (like this: http://www.nilesaudio.com/images/PDF/AXP-1_Cutsheet.pdf). Remove Pre-Amp Out/ Main-Amp In jumpers on Mac. ..Connect OUT of source splitter to Main-Amp In, and connect Pre-Amp Out of Mac to one of Source splitter input, and the L/R Front Pre-Amp Out from AVR to another input. ..So basically keeping power amp section of the MA6600 in use always and using switch box to switch b/w Mac Pre and AVR Pre.

Any reason why this won't work or could be harmful to the amp?

The only other way I know of is to connect Front L/R Pre-amp output from AVR to a spare input on my McIntosh. Turn volume up halfway, run AVR auto set up, then remember to always turn the integrated amp volume to the same setting when using with AVR

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts
No reason why that wouldn't work but you might want to get more expert opinion than mine. I would do it by removing the jumpers on the back between preamp out and amp in - then plug in the L/R cables from the AVR/AVP home theater box preamp out. This in effect makes your Mac a stand-alone amp and would IMO be safer. Its made just for that reason - to use as a stand-alone amp. No need for splitters or anything else - just a PITA switching jumpers and cables. Make sure you turn everything off before swapping things around. If you don't want to remove the jumpers and plug in cables from the AVR/AVP every time you want to watch a move just take the preamp out L/R from your AVR/AVP and into any of the Mac's analog inputs other than the phono inputs. Volume should be put all the way up on the Mac since you are not bypassing it's volume control with this connection. Volume is then controlled by the AVR/AVP. I've done this with an older integrated amp and it worked OK - I'd have used the direct amp input if it had it.

Remember - don't let the magic smoke out!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No reason why that wouldn't work but you might want to get more expert opinion than mine. I would do it by removing the jumpers on the back between preamp out and amp in - then plug in the L/R cables from the AVR/AVP home theater box preamp out. This in effect makes your Mac a stand-alone amp and would IMO be safer. Its made just for that reason - to use as a stand-alone amp. No need for splitters or anything else - just a PITA switching jumpers and cables. Make sure you turn everything off before swapping things around. If you don't want to remove the jumpers and plug in cables from the AVR/AVP every time you want to watch a move just take the preamp out L/R from your AVR/AVP and into any of the Mac's analog inputs other than the phono inputs. Volume should be put all the way up on the Mac since you are not bypassing it's volume control with this connection. Volume is then controlled by the AVR/AVP. I've done this with an older integrated amp and it worked OK - I'd have used the direct amp input if it had it.

Remember - don't let the magic smoke out!
Noted w/ thanks knuckhead!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.