AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

To my huge surprise, I was the first prize winner in the recent "List your gear to win some gear" contest here on AVSForum. I am the very proud recipient (well, soon, when it comes in the mail) of an Epson 5020 HD 3D projector. I have a semi-decent home theater, but always wanted a projector. I was hoping the kind people here on the forum could join me in the fun of figuring out exactly how to get this projector up and running (installation, screen selection, etc).

This post will probably be quite long, so I apologize in advance. But if you're feeling up to it, join me in my adventure!

Part 1 - Background

I live in New England in a Colonial. We're planning on moving sometime in the near future, at which point I hope to have more space to really take advantage of this new toy I'm getting. But for now, my primary home theater is relegated to the finished attic of our current house.

The attic room you're about to learn about is my "man cave". I currently have up there: Oppo BDP-83, Dune HD Base 3.0, Playstation 3, Onkyo TX-SR707, and a Mitsubishi 65" rear projection DLP. I'm one of those lucky people who's sensitive to the "rainbow effect" of my DLP screen, but otherwise I love that thing.

Here's a photo of the room in its current state (yes, my cable management sucks!):

The angled ceilings of the finished attic will obviously present a bit of a challenge during this whole process. The room (measured at floor level) is 16' 6" square (which surprised even me when I officially measured it last night; I think the ceiling slope makes it feel more long than it truly is. To the left (just out of the frame of the photo) is a dormer window that cuts into the slope of the ceiling on the left hand side. That is the only window in the room - as such, I can control the light level very well in this room to nearly pitch-black.

I decided to go hog-wild and use Google Sketchup (killer free tool) to do some dimensional drawings of the attic room to help assist me and to aid people reading this. Here's an overview of the attic:

The chair I sit in is crudely drawn here...you can see the component table (without a TV on top) and the general placement of my speakers, etc. Most of this stuff can be changed if need be...I can move the speakers if I have to. I could replace the component table with something shorter if need be. Right now the center channel speaker is on a stand that is positioned right in front of the TV. The cylinders at the top of the drawing represent the ceiling fans you see in the photo, with the general dimensional boundaries (including their fan blades).

Part 2 - Installation

Here's a left side view of the room with some measurements included:

My current feeling is to mount the projector where the rear ceiling fan is currently. That's about 11' feet from the wall it would project onto. If the other ceiling fan is blocking the light the projector is producing, that could come out too (only if necessary). Mounting on the back wall near the door is an option, but that's 16' and could necessitate a screen size that's too large for the space I have available on the far wall.

Part 3 - Screen Selection

I know very little (although I've learned a lot in the last 24 hours) about screens (i.e. what kind to get, materials, mounting methods, etc). Here is a right-side view drawing with some precise measurements that should give most a decent idea of the space I'm working with:

The sample drawing of an 84" screen I put in there (which doesn't include any material outside the viewable screen area) seems like a decent fit, and doesn't interfere with the height of the component table, etc. Although, if I could go bigger, I would love to.

From the brief amount I've seen online, it seems like motorized screens are cheaper, but add a lot of bulk to the overall height and width of the installed screen. I don't understand why fixed frame screens that mount to the wall seem to be so much more expensive (I was looking at Elite Screens and Monoprice).

So, I think that's everything. Whew! This took a while to write down. ANY assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated. And I plan to keep this thread up-to-date with the project as it progresses. We have two small children, so it may take me a while to get this thing installed and running, so bear with me!

Thanks everyone,

Chris

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some research, I think I could make this screen fit:

Elite Screens ER92WH1 Sable Fixed Frame Projection Screen (92 inch 16:9 AR)

Hopefully, the CineWhite material will be good enough for the 3D projection coming from the 5020.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang  /t/1467834/i-won-the-epson-5020-projector-and-id-like-your-help#post_23198068

I can't comment about a real screen, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Thats an awesome prize.

Thanks!
I'm very excited to start using this...

Where in upstate NY? I grew up in Rochester.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang  /t/1467834/i-won-the-epson-5020-projector-and-id-like-your-help#post_23206578

Grew up in Syracuse, school in Buffalo, now on the other end of I-90 in Albany. I want to go somewhere warmer down I-81 for our next move, but I think my wife wants to move back closer to home. Did you bite on the screen yet?

Waiting for the projector to arrive, gonna try it in various positions in the room. That way, I can see how big I can go screen wise. Then I'll get either a 92" or 100" screen. I'm gonna try to take my time and make each decision (screen size, mounting location, etc) slowly so I can maximize the performance of this thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts